cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreal 4.25.X changes and issues

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
New UE version 4.25 - some changes / issues. Lets put them in one topic for an easy overview and catching up..

4.25.0 preview 1
- Too bad, the new Epic-GPU lightmass plugin is not in this version. Target might be 4.26 (if you build the dev branch you get 4.26)
- When you make a build for Quest, it will fail and you need to install a newer NDK (21). Normally its in the UE extras directory. Not yet. Find it here https://developer.android.com/ndk/downloads ; Download it, extract the zip and put it in the NVPACK dir. Change the Dir in the project settings.
- With the new NDK, building for Quest works but it immediately crashes on Quest. There are a few new project settings but haven't found the right combo yet. ADB logcat has: 'Abort message: 'The requested API version in ovrInitParms (1.1.29.0) is not compatible with this version of VrApi Loader (1.1.31.0)!''. No clue if this is a user setting or a Engine-bug. Reported at Epic.
- update 03-05: tried both building a new project and re-using an existing and working 4.24 project. Both crash on Quest. Only difference is the existing project takes longer to crash.
- update 03-06 "The crash on Quest is known and we're working to have it fixed prior to full 4.25 release."

65 REPLIES 65

Anonymous
Not applicable

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
Tested 4.25.0p7: a brand new VR template project builds & launches nice now on Quest. Hurrai.
Problem: old/converted projects still crash like before. Have to investigate more whats causing this

Anonymous
Not applicable
anyone know if this issue is also with 4.25 on the Go?:

I've not been able to get a 4.25 build to load yet..

Mad_Methods
Honored Guest
Is quest hand tracking officially supported in 4.25?

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
Just updated to the official 4.25.0. Only did one test build. First impression;
- arm 64 works again for Quest builds.
- splash screen (default settings in project settings-Oculus) is still broken
- shader compiling seems a bit faster (havent timed before/after upgrading though)

will update when I have had more time to test

@@Mad_Methods No - Oculus hasn't released/created it for UnrealEngine yet. No eta as far as I know.

HEGI
Protege
For some reason using the reverb plugin crashes when opening the app with 4.25.  
My Android Audio settings now look like this and it works.

b7ikoclv6i83.jpg 

dMs
Explorer
Builds fine, but when I put the project to Oculus Quest, running it fails. 

What steps I can take? Not sure how to debug. Any recommendations?

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
For debugging the Quest I do:
1. open a command prompt (dos box)
2. go to your D drive (can be any harddrive) by typing 'cd D:' (cd capital D and : -> the forum makes a smiley of that combination)
3. paste 'adb logcat *:S DEBUG:V UE4:V VRAPI:V > debug.log' this will create a log file on the the current drive (step 2) and only list entries with UE4 and VRAPI
4. start the app on the Quest (it must be connected to your computer at the previous step 3
5. when your app on the Quest crashes, cntr-C in the dos box to stop the creation of the log file
6. open the log file. Scroll to the bottom en see if you can find some Errors that make sense to you

dMs
Explorer

MaxArch said:

For debugging the Quest I do:
1. open a command prompt (dos box)
2. go to your D drive (can be any harddrive) by typing 'cd D:' (cd capital D and : -> the forum makes a smiley of that combination)
3. paste 'adb logcat *:S DEBUG:V UE4:V VRAPI:V > debug.log' this will create a log file on the the current drive (step 2) and only list entries with UE4 and VRAPI
4. start the app on the Quest (it must be connected to your computer at the previous step 3
5. when your app on the Quest crashes, cntr-C in the dos box to stop the creation of the log file
6. open the log file. Scroll to the bottom en see if you can find some Errors that make sense to you

Thank you, I will try this. 
Do you have any issues yourself running an app built on 4.25.0?

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
@dMs Can't say - only tested one project and launched fine (no splash screen though).