cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive CPU usage by OVRManager.Update talking to OvrPlugin in v16

Theformand
Protege
I just updated my project to Unity 2019.3.13f1 and in the same move, updated the Oculus Integration package to newest from Asset Store (v16)

Now I cant even hit framerate in my menu scene, because OvrManager.Update() is using 4-5ms of my frame time.
uj8dmdlfsue7.png
If we enable deep profiling, we can see OvrPlugin GetControllerState4 being the culprit. Whats going on here?

1brz5u3vhc5b.png

Is anyone else seing this? I dont know what I can do since it looks like its a problem with the plugin itself
22 REPLIES 22

Theformand
Protege
After reverting to whatever previous version I had before, profiler lists the same method call at 0.01ms. If my math is right, the plugin was released with a perf regression of x500. Seriously?

Stacklucker
Explorer
YES! FINALLY! I have the exact same issue (OVRFixedUpdate() is also taking up roughly 13%, I think because it is also calling OVRInput.Update() ), and no one seems to be mentioning these issues on the Unity forums.

Oculus, what happened!? 

Also @Theformand , could you confirm whether you have a very slow EarlyUpdate.XRUpdate in the PlayerLoop as well? That one is taking up roughly 30% of my CPU, so combined with the update loops of OPVManager I currently sitting at 60-80% CPU usage @45 fps....

I'll try reverting to some older versions as well...currently this makes developing unbearable.

Stacklucker
Explorer
Update: I updated to OVRIntegration 17 (from16) and with it, Unity detected a change in version of OVRPlugin. I believe 49 if I recall correctly), after letting it update I am finally hitting fps over 100fps again. Thank god they fixed it.

Edit: And back again with the problems after upgrading again to Unity 2019.3.15f1...................

BLANX.de
Protege
Yikes. Same here. 17 and 16 had somewhere around 3ms. Back to integration 15 it is now close to 0.3ms

BLANX.de
Protege
Hm looks like it only happens in editor? On Quest I only have 0.5ms with integration 16 and 17

Stacklucker
Explorer

BLANX.de said:

Hm looks like it only happens in editor? On Quest I only have 0.5ms with integration 16 and 17

Yes, only in editor for me too. Thats were development is taking place though, so really really annoying. Difficult to pinpoint other issues too with all the mess going on.

bjorn.syse
Protege
Hi. This is still an issue for me in Unity 2019.2.f1 LTS + v17 OvrPlugin. It disappears when building the project.

Clavus
Protege
I'd love for this to get fixed. I'm stuck on 50 fps even with a simple scene if I use Oculus rig due to OVRManager Update/FixedUpdate taking up a lot of CPU time along with EarlyUpdate.XRUpdate (which I suspect is the old 'wait for target fps spin' overshooting or something).

Clavus
Protege
Made an entry for it on the bug tracker you can subscribe to: https://developer.oculus.com/bugs/bug/274541293832406/