cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot upload new build - openvr_api.dll not accepted any more

FusionPlay_Konr
Protege
I tried to upload our latest built but the oculus command line interface refused to accept it. The reason was that "openvr_api.dll" is known to make trouble with the Oculus store. (thats what the uploader says)

Why is that? Since when is that? How do I solve that?

My previous versions all had openvr_api included, as it is a multi-platform title. So why it is forbidden to have this now? And how can I solve this? It would be a pity to not have the christmas update ready tomorrow 😞
18 REPLIES 18

portalstudios
Honored Guest

Dear Oculus, not allowing openvr_api.dll is a serious issue for Oculus VR development as the Unreal VR template requires openvr_api.dll (the "SteamVR" plugin) to generate the chaperone. Do you provide a workaround for this error?

see https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?116782-VR-(OpenVR)-Expansion-Plugin&p=640013&viewfull...

Thanks a lot richardbaxter, I've implemented your workaround and it did indeed remove "/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/OpenVR/OpenVRv1_0_2/Win64/openvr_api.dll"
For some reason Steamworks' dll was still present but I just manually deleted it.
The game booted without any issues as far as I can see.

However for us this does indeed mean we will have to support two different branches for our application if we wish to continue to public on the Oculus Store.
I can't express how extremely disappointed we are having to invest to much time and effort into debugging this issue only to discover the root cause was Oculus having a corrupt policy.
Either way as a developer this is very disappointing and only keeps proving how not-open Oculus is.

portalstudios
Honored Guest

Dear Oculus, not allowing openvr_api.dll is a serious issue for Oculus VR development as the Unreal VR template requires openvr_api.dll (the "SteamVR" plugin) to generate the chaperone. Do you provide a workaround for this error?

see https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?116782-VR-(OpenVR)-Expansion-Plugin&p=640013&viewfull...

Thanks a lot richardbaxter, I've implemented your workaround and it did indeed remove "/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/OpenVR/OpenVRv1_0_2/Win64/openvr_api.dll"
For some reason Steamworks' dll was still present but I just manually deleted it.

However for us this does indeed mean we will have to support two different branches for our application if we wish to continue to public on the Oculus Store.
I can't express how extremely disappointed we are having to invest to much time and effort into debugging this issue only to discover the root cause was Oculus having a corrupt policy.
Either way as a developer this is very disappointing and only keeps proving how not-open Oculus is.

portalstudios
Honored Guest

delphinius81
Rising Star
You can support both in a single code branch. There are a couple things you need to do.

1) You'll need to add some vr platform dependent defines, i.e. OCULUS and OPENVR. This can be done through an editor script through the PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup function.
2) Any locations where you refer to OPENVR specific functions or usings, wrap them in #if OPENVR ... #endif. This might require some code refactoring, but will make your life easier as you can now...
3) Have an editor script to switch the active vr platform (set the define from 1), rename the openvr folder. Unity will ignore files/folders that start with ., so rename the folder to .openvr. When you want to build for openvr again, rename the folder to remove the leading period.

No need to have separate project versions, you just need to write some editor build scripts.

m_glock
Honored Guest
Does the latest version of Oculus Integration change anything of this procedure?

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-port-rift-games-vive/:
The change in the new Oculus Integration release is that its core features now support the SteamVR API

I use SteamVR in my app and I just started to collect information about porting it to the Oculus Store and find it quite confusing.

twistedpixel_bob
Expert Protege
I implemented the steps outline by @richardbaxter, but I still have openvr_api.dll in my folder.  Do I need to do something else now?

creatorue
Honored Guest
openvr_api.dll mustn't cause any issues. Oculus Platform just doesn't want us to publish our game in any other platforms. This problem still remains now, July 2020.
It seems that all we have to do is not to publish in oculus store till oculus become more open.

Or, if you could do, you could just upload your zip file which contains your application, though the game is so large size that you may not zip up it, and I don't know whether you can pass the reviewing of oculus.

PcubedVR
Honored Guest
FYI, simply deleting openvr_api.dll allowed me to upload using the command-line utility. Plus our app is more than 1GB in size. It is possible the documentation is wrong.

beep2bleep
Protege

m_glock said:

Does the latest version of Oculus Integration change anything of this procedure?

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-port-rift-games-vive/:
The change in the new Oculus Integration release is that its core features now support the SteamVR API

I use SteamVR in my app and I just started to collect information about porting it to the Oculus Store and find it quite confusing.

You have to remove the SteamVR API from your Oculus build.  It's annoying but something they have had for years now.  You have to make a seperate build for Oculus, everywhere else you can include all of the APIs even if you don't use them.