cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!!!! Baking issue with Lightmaps

EWalker3
Explorer
Hi Guys! I am currently experiencing some issues with baking light maps in Maya and Unity. I am getting this banding ripple effect that appear on the surface of my mesh (See screenshot attached). I am still getting this issue to occur even at a high texture resolution and sample rate. Also adding more light to the scene seems to add to the problem when rendering my bake. I am currently build my scene specifically for mobile used for the Gear VR. Can anyone offer me any advice or tips on how to render a cleaner bake without all the left-over artifacting appearing in the scene? Thank you in advance.
adovqu85dfqy.png
5 REPLIES 5

I would love to understand how to solve this problem as well. I ran into the same issue in my game.

mouse_bear
Retired Support
Hello @EWalker3 @hhassan1230,

This looks to be an issue related to Unity. Which version are you using?

In any case, you may want to check a few things on your end. Mainly:

- Your lightmaps may be compressed. Try disabling "Compress Lightmaps" under Lighting -> Scene -> Lightmapping Settings.
- If using Baked Indirect for your Lighting Mode, try switching to "Subtractive Lighting" mode under Lighting -> Scene -> Mixed Lighting.

Refer to this Unity forum thread related to a discussion on lightmap banding to see if you can diagnose the issue: https://forum.unity.com/threads/enlighten-causing-severe-banding-in-lightmaps.456110

If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
2. Please submit a ticket here through the "Contact Us" link (include what you've gathered in step 1).
3. Tag me @mouse_bear once you have done so!

kinematic_rigid
Honored Guest
After none of the above worked, I found that adding a post-processing layer removes the banding.
Post-processing profile can be empty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
(Unity 2018.3)

Thunderbox_Ent
Protege
What shader are you using?

dmitri_savine_1
Honored Guest
We've had this problem too. It is caused by half precision in Unreal mobile shader. Forcing it to full precision should solve this.