cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a safe way for developers to create 'fake' Facebook accounts?

DarrenXR
Explorer
With the recent changes pushing for Facebook accounts to be linked to Oculus accounts, and the social features like leaderboards now requiring the accounts to be linked, testing these features in our game now requires me to make multiple Facebook accounts.

Given that for the last few years Facebook has been quite aggressive in chasing down 'fake' accounts, and especially the recent issues with people linking accounts getting their accounts banned and their Quests blocked, is there some 'safe' or approved way to go about this?

Thanks!
Darren
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JeffNik
MVP
MVP
To the OP - If I understand correctly that you are trying to create user accounts to test multiplayer functionality, you can create "test" accounts in the developer dashboard... do these not meet your needs?

l2up1nmgofrt.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also wanted to know a safe route for such scenarios
I'm essentially holding back any Quest 2 purchase/further Oculus development until all those uncertainties and issues which are a fallout of the undesirable account linking are ironed out. Together with all the Quest 2 purchaser stories about account suspending, no  Go-App running capability etc... my Oculus enthusiasm is seriously damaged...

And add that on top
Andrew ‘Boz’ Bosworth: Get Your Facebook Account In ‘Good Standing’ Before Buying Oculus Quest 2
This doesnt sound too far away from the chinese social credit system dystopia in my ears...

MaxArch
Heroic Explorer
Also interested if there's a way around the Facebook account requirement.
Technically I never understood why you needed to link your phone to the GO / Quest to activate it but this new requirement is really undesirable and definitely holding me back upgrading from Q1 to Q2 as well and probably will be the reason most of my clients won't buy a headset like several did the past years (to view my design of their new house whenever they want).

The Quest 2 and Facebook account requirement to me feels like one step forward, two steps back. Too bad.

BenMcLean
Protege
If they don't change this then we clearly need anti-trust, anti-monopoly, consumer protection and anti-discrimination laws to start applying to Facebook.

nighhman
Protege

MaxArch said:

Also interested if there's a way around the Facebook account requirement.
Technically I never understood why you needed to link your phone to the GO / Quest to activate it but this new requirement is really undesirable and definitely holding me back upgrading from Q1 to Q2 as well and probably will be the reason most of my clients won't buy a headset like several did the past years (to view my design of their new house whenever they want).

The Quest 2 and Facebook account requirement to me feels like one step forward, two steps back. Too bad.

I am pretty certain that there is no way to bypass the facebook account requirement, and I believe that it's a marketing tactic to get more people using facebook.

JeffNik
MVP
MVP
To the OP - If I understand correctly that you are trying to create user accounts to test multiplayer functionality, you can create "test" accounts in the developer dashboard... do these not meet your needs?

l2up1nmgofrt.png

kilroy440
Oculus Staff
Hey there, this may be helpful. 

developer.oculus.com/blog/updated-upcoming-changes-to-how-you-log-in-for-development-and-use-your-oculus-dashboard/

Hopefully that provides some useful info.
All the best!

nighhman
Protege

kilroy440 said:

Hey there, this may be helpful. 

developer.oculus.com/blog/updated-upcoming-changes-to-how-you-log-in-for-development-and-use-your-oculus-dashboard/

Hopefully that provides some useful info.
All the best!

welcome to forums kilroy, and I heard that there was some confusion/issues with creating/logging into test accounts, so I would pay extra attention to the comment section if I were you.

nighhman
Protege

BenMcLean said:

If they don't change this then we clearly need anti-trust, anti-monopoly, consumer protection and anti-discrimination laws to start applying to Facebook.

also welcome to forums ben, and about your comment, the best anti-monopoly laws we got are that big companies cannot buy other big companies, and Facebook owns oculus so they can do whatever they want with their products.

DarrenXR
Explorer
Thanks @JeffNik - Developer support was eventually able to point me to test users as well and I've been using them (somewhat) successfully. They do what I needed so that's good.