[DEMO V2.0] Oculus Maximus

8bit
Protege
Oculus Maximus - The Ultimate Gladiator Experience

Demo version 2 is available
(Fight with 2 swords like Spartacus!)
http://www.raginggoat.com/download

Hello Jammers,
Here is a video and a link to the demo we submitted for the jam.
Special thanks to RCMPMARUDER for providing sounds and vocals.

Enjoy the game.

Screenshots

Gameplay Video

Downloadable Demo
*** Requires Razer Hydra ***
Runs at 60 FPS with i7 and GTX 660 Ti. Lesser systems may not be playable.

Demo version 2.0
http://www.raginggoat.com/download

Below is link to first demo submitted for VR jam
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18313052/OculusMaximusDemo.zip
145 REPLIES 145

eelkin2000
Honored Guest
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1252226629/oculus-maximus?ref=live

We are live my friends!!! Long live Oculus Maximus!!!

Someguitarist
Explorer
Man, I feel for you, and I *really* want you to be successful, but I think your goal is *incredibly* high and your consumer base is incredibly low.

You are looking at an incredibly, incredibly small base of maybe 10,000-20,000 Rift owners, and out of them I'd suggest only 2,000-3,000ish Rift + Hydra owners, if that. That means that IF EVERY SINGLE PERSON who can possibly play your game donates, they'd have to donate 10k apiece. If we assume even more, say 5,000 Rift + Hydra owners, they'd still need to each contribute 5k. Every one of them.

It also doesn't help that you don't have any development history (Listed on KS! You might, I just don't know!), or that you've refused to give a demo that *doesn't* require the Hydra. I get it; I get that that's what you're going for, total immersion and whatnot, but you are limiting yourself to an incredibly small audience.

I like the game, I like the look of it and the idea behind it, but I won't back a game that I simply won't be able to play. That doesn't make sense.

All that said; Again, I wish you the best. And I wish you good luck with the rest of the KS campaign.

Callezetter
Honored Guest
I have to agree with Someguitarist,

Its a pretty high goal you set 🙂 And nothing wrong with that, at all.
But i think you need to make a better video. One that have have
more dev thoughts/plans/execution.

In the video i still see the wierd AI of the enemies 🙂 Or I might be wrong.
Still, alot is great in the latest version. But it really need to WOW even more!

Its a wonderful game and i will back it. But you need to show even more exciting
developement beyond v.2 regarding animation/AI/combat for this to hit home i think.
Since the core of the game is COMBAT

We all want you guys to succeed, no question there!
VR Sverige - En svensk nyhetsblogg om allt som rör Virtual Reality! http://www.vrsverige.se/

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
"Someguitarist" wrote:
Man, I feel for you, and I *really* want you to be successful, but I think your goal is *incredibly* high and your consumer base is incredibly low.

You are looking at an incredibly, incredibly small base of maybe 10,000-20,000 Rift owners, and out of them I'd suggest only 2,000-3,000ish Rift + Hydra owners, if that. That means that IF EVERY SINGLE PERSON who can possibly play your game donates, they'd have to donate 10k apiece. If we assume even more, say 5,000 Rift + Hydra owners, they'd still need to each contribute 5k. Every one of them.

It also doesn't help that you don't have any development history (Listed on KS! You might, I just don't know!), or that you've refused to give a demo that *doesn't* require the Hydra. I get it; I get that that's what you're going for, total immersion and whatnot, but you are limiting yourself to an incredibly small audience.

I like the game, I like the look of it and the idea behind it, but I won't back a game that I simply won't be able to play. That doesn't make sense.

All that said; Again, I wish you the best. And I wish you good luck with the rest of the KS campaign.

Your math is a bit off: $225,000 / 5,000 hydra+rift owners is only $45 each. Maybe that still seems lofty for a hydra game, but remember that the STEM comes out in July and that will help make this a very awesome and popular game.
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2

Someguitarist
Explorer
Wow... I don't know *how* I did that. The sad thing is that I'm a physicist by trade; I work with numbers all day. I guess it's been a rough week! 😄

Anyways, yes, you are right. 5k users would still be an average donation of 45$, which is *still* pretty high for a kickstarted game with no developer history. And I still have a hard time believing you'll find 5k people with a an Oculus AND a hydra AND want to donate 45$ to an unproven team.

STEM does come out soon, but again, that's more money for something that also hasn't been proven to be the standard. I don't doubt that a bunch of people will buy it to use with the Rift, but again, I don't imagine adoption rates to be that high. We'll see though! Fingers crossed for everyone involved!

8bit
Protege
"Someguitarist" wrote:
Wow... I don't know *how* I did that. The sad thing is that I'm a physicist by trade; I work with numbers all day. I guess it's been a rough week! 😄

Anyways, yes, you are right. 5k users would still be an average donation of 45$, which is *still* pretty high for a kickstarted game with no developer history. And I still have a hard time believing you'll find 5k people with a an Oculus AND a hydra AND want to donate 45$ to an unproven team.

STEM does come out soon, but again, that's more money for something that also hasn't been proven to be the standard. I don't doubt that a bunch of people will buy it to use with the Rift, but again, I don't imagine adoption rates to be that high. We'll see though! Fingers crossed for everyone involved!

Hello @someguitarist
Yeah you have close to the numbers we were trying for. Besides Hydra owners we were factoring in that STEM pre-sale purchasers would also be interested in the game. Their KS only had about 2k people but I read they had up to 10k STEMs presold. I'm sure there is a ton of overlap between hydra owners and STEM purchasers but we still thought that softly bumps up the base to maybe 20k...ish? So we would still need about 25% of eligible people to join our KS.

As for developer experience we don't feel short at all. All of us had worked in the game industry as professionals on consoles for at least half a decade each. We may have pulled the trigger too quick on the video though. Obviously we did not communicate this to the audience with that short clip. We will be adding more to the video soon.

As for the contribution amount, I didn't think it was too much. It is too high for normal indie PC games but for VR we were hoping not. I paid $45 for the gallery early access and didn't think twice about it. Then again maybe I'm not the average PC VR gaming person. I honestly didn't see the price as a problem but I'm starting to think I may have been wrong there.

All in all we knew it would be a bit if a long shot but we think it is worth shooting for and we will try our best to make it happen.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Someguitarist
Explorer
Yeah, I was kind of thinking that the 2k-5k would include Hydra owners plus STEM backers. Just like you'd mentioned, their KS had only 2k backers, so I'm curious where the other 8k came from. Even then though, I imagine it's hard to get them to back a game that they can't yet play based on hardware that they don't yet have.

All that said though, I don't mean to be so negative! I do think this is a great idea, and I just really want to see this get made! It seriously looks beautiful! If I ever got around to purchasing a Hydra or STEM this would probably be the first thing I'd purchase.

You should definitely add whatever developer experience you guys have to the KS page! Even if it's just like a list of names and games you've worked on, I think developer confidence will definitely go a long way to getting a few more sales.

Good luck!!

Otreum
Expert Protege
Best of luck with the Kickstarter, I backed with $40 I think (alpha+ beta access). 😄

I have to agree with everyone else here in saying that $225,000 is massive with the amount of marketing you have.
But hopefully you guys are able to attain it, because I think that you have something great here, you just have to continue with the project no matter what happens.

My verdict on the game? It's damn fun as usual 😄

However I am not sure if it's just the way my Hydra's are, or if it's the IK in the game, but my character arms always seem to be bend, I can't seem to fully extend my arms for a nice big swing, which means a lot of my sideways slashes end up looking a bit goofy and missing.
Anybody else getting this? Or is it just my Hydra's being stupid.

Amnio
Honored Guest
Have had a good time with this game, enjoyed it alot. Love the auto-calibration.

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
Finally got around to playing this. I lopped off a lot of heads - good times. I like how the crowd cheers when you raise your arms above your head, that was a nice touch. It's much better to play standing than sitting though - aside from being more immersive, you're less likely to bash your keyboard or screen.
I hope you continue to work on this, it's was lot of fun. Positional tracking and multiplayer matches would really make the game.
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2