Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[DEMO V2.0] Oculus Maximus

1235»

Comments

• TalonAxe wrote:
    Very disappointed there's no keyboard support. Hopefully you will add it later on, seeing as how I just spent 300 on the oculus and I don't want to spend another 500 on gaming controllers.

You can use the xbox controller to still move around, and at the very least enter the arena. Though your arms are crossed the whole time LOL... I can't fathom why they don't let simple attack and block mechanics ala skyrim into this game using a controller. Hydra is hard enough to come by as it is! The feeling of standing in the arena when they call out your name is so awesome too...such a shame...such a shame...
  • zarthcodezarthcode Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I know this thread has been dead awhile, but I gotta say...

THIS IS ONE AWESOME DEMO!!!!

Now with that out of the way, I expecting sixsense support ;-). Hopefully you guys get this onto steam, it deserves all the support it can get. Great Job!
  • 8bit8bit Posts: 94 Oculus Start Member
    zarthcode wrote:
    I know this thread has been dead awhile, but I gotta say...

THIS IS ONE AWESOME DEMO!!!!

Now with that out of the way, I expecting sixsense support ;-). Hopefully you guys get this onto steam, it deserves all the support it can get. Great Job!

We are honored by your awesome.
    The KickStarter should be ready by end of this month.

Tell all your friends! :D
  • eelkin2000eelkin2000 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1252226629/oculus-maximus?ref=live

We are live my friends!!! Long live Oculus Maximus!!!
  • Man, I feel for you, and I *really* want you to be successful, but I think your goal is *incredibly* high and your consumer base is incredibly low.

You are looking at an incredibly, incredibly small base of maybe 10,000-20,000 Rift owners, and out of them I'd suggest only 2,000-3,000ish Rift + Hydra owners, if that. That means that IF EVERY SINGLE PERSON who can possibly play your game donates, they'd have to donate 10k apiece. If we assume even more, say 5,000 Rift + Hydra owners, they'd still need to each contribute 5k. Every one of them.

It also doesn't help that you don't have any development history (Listed on KS! You might, I just don't know!), or that you've refused to give a demo that *doesn't* require the Hydra. I get it; I get that that's what you're going for, total immersion and whatnot, but you are limiting yourself to an incredibly small audience.

I like the game, I like the look of it and the idea behind it, but I won't back a game that I simply won't be able to play. That doesn't make sense.

All that said; Again, I wish you the best. And I wish you good luck with the rest of the KS campaign.
  • I have to agree with Someguitarist,

Its a pretty high goal you set :) And nothing wrong with that, at all.
    But i think you need to make a better video. One that have have
    more dev thoughts/plans/execution.

In the video i still see the wierd AI of the enemies :) Or I might be wrong.
    Still, alot is great in the latest version. But it really need to WOW even more!

Its a wonderful game and i will back it. But you need to show even more exciting
    developement beyond v.2 regarding animation/AI/combat for this to hit home i think.
    Since the core of the game is COMBAT

We all want you guys to succeed, no question there!
    vrs2.png
    VR Sverige - En svensk nyhetsblogg om allt som rör Virtual Reality!
    http://www.vrsverige.se/
  • grodenglaivegrodenglaive Posts: 395
    Brain Burst
    Man, I feel for you, and I *really* want you to be successful, but I think your goal is *incredibly* high and your consumer base is incredibly low.

You are looking at an incredibly, incredibly small base of maybe 10,000-20,000 Rift owners, and out of them I'd suggest only 2,000-3,000ish Rift + Hydra owners, if that. That means that IF EVERY SINGLE PERSON who can possibly play your game donates, they'd have to donate 10k apiece. If we assume even more, say 5,000 Rift + Hydra owners, they'd still need to each contribute 5k. Every one of them.

It also doesn't help that you don't have any development history (Listed on KS! You might, I just don't know!), or that you've refused to give a demo that *doesn't* require the Hydra. I get it; I get that that's what you're going for, total immersion and whatnot, but you are limiting yourself to an incredibly small audience.

I like the game, I like the look of it and the idea behind it, but I won't back a game that I simply won't be able to play. That doesn't make sense.

All that said; Again, I wish you the best. And I wish you good luck with the rest of the KS campaign.

Your math is a bit off: $225,000 / 5,000 hydra+rift owners is only $45 each. Maybe that still seems lofty for a hydra game, but remember that the STEM comes out in July and that will help make this a very awesome and popular game.
    GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2
  • Wow... I don't know *how* I did that. The sad thing is that I'm a physicist by trade; I work with numbers all day. I guess it's been a rough week! :D

Anyways, yes, you are right. 5k users would still be an average donation of 45$, which is *still* pretty high for a kickstarted game with no developer history. And I still have a hard time believing you'll find 5k people with a an Oculus AND a hydra AND want to donate 45$ to an unproven team.

STEM does come out soon, but again, that's more money for something that also hasn't been proven to be the standard. I don't doubt that a bunch of people will buy it to use with the Rift, but again, I don't imagine adoption rates to be that high. We'll see though! Fingers crossed for everyone involved!
  • 8bit8bit Posts: 94 Oculus Start Member
    Wow... I don't know *how* I did that. The sad thing is that I'm a physicist by trade; I work with numbers all day. I guess it's been a rough week! :D

Anyways, yes, you are right. 5k users would still be an average donation of 45$, which is *still* pretty high for a kickstarted game with no developer history. And I still have a hard time believing you'll find 5k people with a an Oculus AND a hydra AND want to donate 45$ to an unproven team.

STEM does come out soon, but again, that's more money for something that also hasn't been proven to be the standard. I don't doubt that a bunch of people will buy it to use with the Rift, but again, I don't imagine adoption rates to be that high. We'll see though! Fingers crossed for everyone involved!

Hello @someguitarist
    Yeah you have close to the numbers we were trying for. Besides Hydra owners we were factoring in that STEM pre-sale purchasers would also be interested in the game. Their KS only had about 2k people but I read they had up to 10k STEMs presold. I'm sure there is a ton of overlap between hydra owners and STEM purchasers but we still thought that softly bumps up the base to maybe 20k...ish? So we would still need about 25% of eligible people to join our KS.

As for developer experience we don't feel short at all. All of us had worked in the game industry as professionals on consoles for at least half a decade each. We may have pulled the trigger too quick on the video though. Obviously we did not communicate this to the audience with that short clip. We will be adding more to the video soon.

As for the contribution amount, I didn't think it was too much. It is too high for normal indie PC games but for VR we were hoping not. I paid $45 for the gallery early access and didn't think twice about it. Then again maybe I'm not the average PC VR gaming person. I honestly didn't see the price as a problem but I'm starting to think I may have been wrong there.

All in all we knew it would be a bit if a long shot but we think it is worth shooting for and we will try our best to make it happen.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
  • Yeah, I was kind of thinking that the 2k-5k would include Hydra owners plus STEM backers. Just like you'd mentioned, their KS had only 2k backers, so I'm curious where the other 8k came from. Even then though, I imagine it's hard to get them to back a game that they can't yet play based on hardware that they don't yet have.

All that said though, I don't mean to be so negative! I do think this is a great idea, and I just really want to see this get made! It seriously looks beautiful! If I ever got around to purchasing a Hydra or STEM this would probably be the first thing I'd purchase.

You should definitely add whatever developer experience you guys have to the KS page! Even if it's just like a list of names and games you've worked on, I think developer confidence will definitely go a long way to getting a few more sales.

Good luck!!
  • OtreumOtreum Posts: 101
    Hiro Protagonist
    Best of luck with the Kickstarter, I backed with $40 I think (alpha+ beta access). :D

I have to agree with everyone else here in saying that $225,000 is massive with the amount of marketing you have.
    But hopefully you guys are able to attain it, because I think that you have something great here, you just have to continue with the project no matter what happens.

My verdict on the game? It's damn fun as usual :D

However I am not sure if it's just the way my Hydra's are, or if it's the IK in the game, but my character arms always seem to be bend, I can't seem to fully extend my arms for a nice big swing, which means a lot of my sideways slashes end up looking a bit goofy and missing.
    Anybody else getting this? Or is it just my Hydra's being stupid.
  • AmnioAmnio Posts: 21
    Have had a good time with this game, enjoyed it alot. Love the auto-calibration.
  • grodenglaivegrodenglaive Posts: 395
    Brain Burst
    Finally got around to playing this. I lopped off a lot of heads - good times. I like how the crowd cheers when you raise your arms above your head, that was a nice touch. It's much better to play standing than sitting though - aside from being more immersive, you're less likely to bash your keyboard or screen.
    I hope you continue to work on this, it's was lot of fun. Positional tracking and multiplayer matches would really make the game.
    GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2
  • DevalinorDevalinor Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Does anyone still have a download link for this Demo? The website seems to be down.
  • FletcherwylaFletcherwyla Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Devalinor wrote:
    Does anyone still have a download link for this Demo? The website seems to be down.

Here's the link off the Game Center page for V2.0.
    http://bit.ly/1encjQW
  • DevalinorDevalinor Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Thank you! :)
  • betavrbetavr Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Devalinor wrote:

thanks man!
  • bsumnerbsumner Posts: 3
    So this is what its like to be a gladiator - awesome! One of the more fun and active rift experiences I've had. Word of warning: give yourself plenty of clearance or things may get knocked over. I hope this gets some more love from the crowd because it needs to be.
  • eelkin2000eelkin2000 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Thanks bsumner. We had a lot of fun making this. A little upset that wasn't enough to get an Oculus Connect invite. Hopefully it's not over yet.
  • ArturroArturro Posts: 1
    Anyone got a working donwload link ?
  • lmgglmgg Posts: 11
    I'd appreciate a lot a working download link too. I cannot find this game anywhere, and it seems totally awesome.
  • nymbnymb Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    We've got our oculus connect invites and we will be at the convention this year. Much has happened in the past year and we willl update you all soon.
  • AuntieJamimaAuntieJamima Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hoping for a working link to as well. Sorry I missed the kickstarter, didnt get my Hydras till a few weeks ago.
  • LeGadLeGad Posts: 1
    Devalinor wrote:

The website seems to be down. :cry:
  • XBVRXBVR Posts: 1
    8bit wrote:
    Should be all clear. Try the download again and ping us if you have any problems.

Both links are dead!?! Been wanting to play this demo for over a week and it's killing me. Please fix!

Thanks in advance! Must bloodlust!
  • Both links are dead....I've been wanting to play this since i bought my rift....... :cry::cry::cry:
  • Throw off the working link to the game !! please :cry:
  • Hello everyone!
    Please upload Maximus on some file hosting service. Wanted to play this game for so long, finally bought DK2+Hydra and cannot find a working link. The links posted in this thread are all dead. Please, don't just close and forget, at least just think a bit deeply into my situation. I love Gladiator movie, i love the sound track and everything about it. I really wanted to play this game, here, from where i'm living, hydra is a bit rare equpment, so as oculus itself. Some guys even sell it for 700-800$ and the DK2 is about 1000US dollars. Finally got it together, and now this b*****it.... Didn't even download at the time it was available. :x So please don't stay uninvolved, thank everyone in advance.