cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sightline [DK2 support released]

Frooxius
Honored Guest
I'm excited to announce that the crowdfunding campaign for SightLine has launched!

Official website  |  Facebook Page

Help us make this reality! Share and comment! 🙂

As a special treat, he's the last part of SightLine Prelude, finishing the surreal sci-fi short about the events before the story of SightLine.

Also I have made new topic for the development of the full game after VR Jam, so you can get updates and continue discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6896

------------------------------

Get 1.2 Windows build (DK2 support)

Also SightLine is now on Oculus Share
https://share.oculus.com/app/1380132786019bpblgi7ldi

Update: Because I would like to make SightLine into a full blown game, I'm considering launching an IndieGogo campaign, but I could use some advice. Would you mind answering some of the questions in this post?

Hello,
I would like to share my Oculus VR jam entry with you - a game prototype named "SightLine", based on a principle that as soon as anything exits your field of view, it can change!

Official website (in construction)
Facebook page

Description

Our universe is volatile. Anything can be happening in places you're not observing. But laws of physics ensure, that whenever you look back, everything will be nice and consistent. In this game, laws of physics are broken.

The moment you look away... anything can change. The moment an object leaves your line of sight, it can vanish or change into something else.

Will you make sense of this unstable world and use the volatile nature of the environment to your advantage, to solve puzzles and get to the end?

Sightline is an environmental action/puzzle game prototype made specifically for
Oculus Rift VR jam developed with Unity and thus supports Windows, Mac and Linux

2nd milestone video
Note: It lacks some of the polish and changes in the final build, I didn't have time to make or even upload (I have 0.6 Mbps upload >.>) new trailer, but at least you'll have some surprises while playing 😉

Download
Windows (Final VR jam prototype build - 1.0) (~150 MB)

Soundtrack (On SoundCloud)

Works with keyboard/mouse and Xbox 360 controller.

Credits
Created by: Tomas "Frooxius" Mariancik (that's me :3 )
Music by: Ondrej "Sakabi" Pultar
Voice by: Julian Ceipek
Also I used a bunch of creative commons/free assets, they're listed in the README file included with the game.

I'll be happy if you share your thoughts, constructive criticism or just any comments! ^^ The last 3 weeks were quite tense, I worked as much as I could on this and I hope that I'll at least stand a small chance 😄 And hopefully that you'll find it fun 🙂
122 REPLIES 122

Frooxius
Honored Guest
ganjaroach: Thanks! 🙂

8bit: Thanks for advice. I tried to explain the principle of the game in the video, but throwing one-liner explanation at the beginning seems like a good idea! Where would it be ideal to put it?

I was thinking something like:
"A game played by looking!" (alt. "seeing", "observing")
"A game played by shifting your gaze"
"A game where things change the moment they leave your line of sight"
"A game where things change when you look away"
"Adventure based on object permanence and gaze direction"

Does any of that sound good?

drash
Heroic Explorer
I suppose an explicit tagline is in order, but it would still be cool to "stylize it" by re-using/re-mixing a well-known phrase or quote. Since Sightline is all about the world changing when you're not looking (right?), there's probably a lot of phrases out there already. Although probably not a good fit for Sightline, here's an example: "A watched pot never boils", and then showing a pot of water that immediately starts boiling when you look away from it. Or something? 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Frooxius
Honored Guest
drash: That's a good idea! I'll have a look through the phrases and I'll see what I can come up with. There's also "Watch grass grow" one, but Family Guy already did that one 😄

EDIT: Here's some stuff I came up with so far:
"Look away before you die" (this is one probably meh)
"Seeing is believing. Not seeing is change."
"Seeing is believing. But don't believe what you saw."
"Seeing is believing if you don't look away"
"Seeing is believing. Just don't look away."
"Seeing is believing, but don't look away."

Someguitarist
Explorer
"Seeing is believing. Don't believe what you see."

WhelanWeb
Honored Guest
Full review and score can be found here http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com/DEMO-detail/sightline-demo-review/

Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site. http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to throw money at my screen, but it's not going through. I love what I've played so far!

Frooxius
Honored Guest
I'm excited to announce that the crowdfunding campaign for SightLine has launched!

Support SightLine on IndieGogo here!

Official website  |  Facebook Page

Help us make this reality! Pledge, share and comment! 🙂

As a special treat, he's the last part of SightLine Prelude, finishing the surreal sci-fi short about the events before the story of SightLine.

Also I have made new topic for the development of the full game after VR Jam, so you can get updates and continue discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6896

Frooxius
Honored Guest
Hello Rifters!

So today my DK2 finally arrived (6 days after getting shipped - the fun of living in the middle of Europe 🙂 ) and I immediately went to update the original prototype of SightLine from the 2013 VR Jam with the new 0.4.0 SDK with DK2 support and positional tracking.

Visit official website
Vote for us on GreenLight!
Like us on Facebook and receive updates

I've thrown in a few fixes and small improvements as well. Enjoy and don't forget to leave a comment! ^^

I must say for myself that DK2 makes much bigger difference than I expected. The sense of presence is way stronger, world feels bigger (things aren't blurred so much in distance), movement feels smoother and colors are prettier! SightLine feels completely different than with DK1 (sadly it doesn't utilize positional tracking much - there's not much fine detail in the world) and I've noticed that the sense of scale is different from DK1 - things look bigger - sorry for that.

In the past few days, I've been also working on a **completely new SightLine demo**, designed to be purely seated experience: Just put Rift on and look around - so keep a look out on that in next few days 🙂

In the meanwhile, here's a tiny sneak preview (very early WIP - don't want to give much spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNugNPZ74wM

So I hope you'll enjoy SightLine again with DK2, despite it feeling already outdated at this point - I'm working hard with a few people behind the scenes to turn it into a full polished game and we need your support for that, so please don't forget to share, comment and follow on Facebook!

8bit
Protege
Wow that was fast. Downloading now. Keep up the good work Frooxius.
BTW, I live in the US and just got mine today too. Don't feel so bad 🙂

cefyl
Honored Guest
I loved that DK2 version. But there's good and there's something awfull.

Here's my experience :

Starting room : great, nice explanations
The tower : i nearly cried, really splendid, i believe it's the most amazing thing i saw in the 30th demo i tested.
The wooden bridges : cool moment.

Then everything went fine until i enter the "castle" just after the fireballs in the dark.
I began walking there and i became awfully sick. i don't know if it's because of the speed we move, the speed we turn but it made me exiting the demo, i couldn't get anymore. By talking, i head that my internet's friends became sick too.

Really, i think it's one of the bests demo that i know about and i'd love to see it become better 🙂 But the VR sickness is pretty hard 😕

I saw that the version is outdated. Does the newest one get rid of VR Sickness ?
Writer on : VRapps.co : All (or almost 😛 ) Oculus Rift Games, Apps & Movies EnterTheRift.fr : The French VR Community Community : All articles of French VR enthusiasts