cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Starting today, you’re no longer required to log into your Meta VR devices using a Facebook account. Find out all about Meta accounts and Meta Horizon profiles on our blog post. You can now set up a Meta account using your email address or Facebook account.

If you currently access Meta VR products with an Oculus account, you can continue doing so until January 1st, 2023. After that date, you’ll need to set up a Meta account to continue using your VR device.

Meta accounts give you more choice when it comes to how you log into VR and whether Facebook and Instagram are part of your experience. When you set up a Meta account, we’ll migrate your existing information (including apps, achievements, and friends) to this account so you can dive back in.

To learn more, watch our tutorial video. To get started, visit our website or open the Oculus mobile app.

76 Comments
Lumpyhasausername
Honored Guest

Ever since this update I can’t use my oculus quest 2 because when I put in the code for a second it says I’m verified then says I have to generate a new code.

profparzival
Honored Guest

What the heck Oculus??????? 
Can you really not learn how to do migrations like this where they are as transparent and easy for your users as possible?

I picked up my Rift S tonight for a pre-arranged gaming session with friends only to get the all too well known.. "you must take off your headset as we're forcing an update on you".  What in 2022 makes you think this is cool? Wnat?
Normally that's not so bad as it's headset off for a few minutes and then we're back in business and hoping that they've not broken anything and games all still work as before.  Not this time though...

"Want to game on your Rift S tonight...nope.. because we need to force update all your other headsets too and you have a two devices (Quest 1 and Quest2) that will need to be factory reset (why OculMetaFacebook? Why?) if you don't do as we say and get them updated the blurb threatens that you may have to factory reset them. No.. no.. why would you threaten your loyal users with that? why?."

Of course it wasn't possible to update the Quests straight away as I'm mostly a Rift S user and not used the other devices in a while... Oh I'll plug them in and start the updates.  Nope.. "you need 50% charge to do an update". Arrrrrrrgh.  Do your engineers go out of their way to annoy users as much as possible?

So I get the Quests updated.. Nope, the Oculus App still reports only one of them needs updating despite the fact that it is.  Oh well I guess I'll have to brick the Quest 1. then? 

Nope.. Can't setup a new Meta account as I they want to send a code to my email account and for some reason the code isn't coming though.. *sends test email to that account... comes through fine.*  Of course the option for "I didn't get a code" does absolutely nothing at all so simply stuck in a loop now.  There appears to be no possible way to login to change the email account.. or does this need to be done on facebook?  I don't know, but anyway facebook said "you can't use that email account when I tried.  Of course it didn't give a decent reason why just a usual *computer says no* type response.  Thanks.  Useful.

What Engineer signed this all off at Meta?  Who the heck thought it was a good idea to not even let people in to their existing accounts as a fallback.. I couldn't even log in to this forum or to get support (yes I had to sign up for a new account just to post, so it's not linked for use with my purchased games etc).  I don't want my VR account linked to Facebook but at the moment thats looking like the only option?  Will it ever be possible to revert to email account later?  Maybe it would have been a decent idea to put a FAQ together on these things before forcing such disruptive updates on your loyal users.
I'm really getting fed up with Meta controlling VR.. honestly.  And I'm normally one of the ones that can take a lot before having to complain.

Meta... please please please stop being anti your own users.  Please.. just stop.  Just get out of the way and spend more time, effort and money on making our lives easier not harder.

Buetigame
Expert Protege

You had the choice to migrate your account (Oculus or FB) to Meta... 

Why do you do such things if the only purpose to logon is showing something to your friends?

Sorry, but such posts never got things "better"... they will be ignored.

For me the migration was straight forward and Meta asks before migrate the account.

Also it warns, if one of the devices is not compliant.

You ignored all this and now you blame Meta for it?

synchromesh62
Expert Protege

I have 2 Quest 2's connected to my FB account. Mine and the Mrs.

Do i just do mine and update then do hers after ?

should remove hers from my devices and reset hers to factory then do hers again as if new ?

or will i just need to log hers in with my new password after.

Any advice appreciated before i attempt this 🙂

SwooshStackz
Protege

October, 80% of my App Library needs to be hidden, show hide for esps, with quick launch icons dragged from App Library? I simply can’t understand…

Buetigame
Expert Protege

You don't have to set a "new password" for migrating the Account.

Just do it via mobile app (both headsets connected) and everything will be fine.
(Firmware on both headsets shoud be v43)

synchromesh62
Expert Protege

Thanks for the response in fact its the only one i have had despite trying to get info in other Discords etc.

So both Headsets on and Both up to date. Thanks that helps a lot 🙂

synchromesh62
Expert Protege

Unfortunately it was not as straight forward as that for 2 Headsets but got there in the end.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

I appear to have migrated to a Meta account. Did this Friday 26 Aug. I did not use the Facebook option. On my Windows 10 PC the process did not seem to work with Firefox or Chrome and I had to use Edge to get it to work. I tried Firefox in trouble shooting mode as some of the add-ons block some popups.

Also I was unable to log in to the Forum using the Oculus account until now. I would click on the "login" button and just get a blank web page without being logged so I could not post. I opened a support ticket so this appears to have been resolved.

Trexguy0914
Honored Guest

Is it possible to turn an account created with Facebook into a Meta Account and remove the Facebook account from it all together? 

(While still owning all of the games and apps on the new meta account)

Thanks

synchromesh62
Expert Protege

Yes ..

You no longer need Facebook and get the option to continue without Facebook whilst changing to a Meta account. All your stuff gets carried over to your Meta Account.

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

I've already done the transition, so I understand what you're saying.  But, have you carefully gone through the Meta/Oculus account settings and made sure the facebook account was in fact severed?  I haven't yet.  And, even if you can't see the facebook account in your settings, someone may want to chat with Meta and confirm on their side that there is no hidden connection, field, with the old facebook account listed.

Buetigame
Expert Protege

The email is the same... so simply there is no need for a "hidden connection".

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

There may not be a need for you, but there may be a motive for Meta to maintain your facebook info on your Meta account.

synchromesh62
Expert Protege

Its probably all another variation of FB in VR owned by FB. Just another social media channel that all do the same thing. As @Buetigame stated your email remains the same. I think all we have done is moved from one named social media channel to another.

niclasj-XR4work
Explorer

Hi, I have a question which I haven't seen addressed anywhere. What if I want to un-couple my Meta account from Fb, but I want to associate it to a NEW email address?

The account in question was an old Oculus account from Quest 1 times, which then merged with FB when I activated my Quest 2... but through "circumstances" I no longer have access to the old email which was used for the Oculus login. And that email shows as the associated email when I try to de-couple the Meta account.

I want to choose a NEW email address to pair with this account before de-coupling from Fb. Can you help me with this?

BeachBoy2.0
Honored Guest

Glad to see that I am not the only one having this issue. I open Meta Quest Remote Desktop. Then click on 'Continue with Meta Account'. It takes me to Chrome browser to log in. Goes back to desktop app.....loads forever then asks me to try again. ENDLESS LOOP!!  I can still do a remote desktop through the Immersed app. Sad that the Native Meta Desktop does not work. I hope this gets fixed soon. I don't like being the Beta Tester.

Buetigame
Expert Protege

Yes, that's happened... with some big differences

• FB linking is optional
  • no social "clear name" nessesary
  • property (devices, apps and games) is not linked to the social profile

@niclasj-XR4work : you may change the mail adress after the "de-couple"... later.

Or you have to change the mail adress wthin your FB Account, before doing this.

@BeachBoy2.0 : Clear up your cache (maybe also your cookies) and deactivate "script stopper" plugins etc.

Jafelicious
Honored Guest

I have created a META account. It has completely made my oculus unusable! It’s been 6 days now. It will turn on, I can click on the game, it acts like it will load, then kicks me back to use this code to connect your headset. There is no code, and I when I click the generate a new code button, it throws an error occurred, please try again. Is this what was happening to you? How did you fix it? I have been on several chats, they keep telling me they’re working on it. It’s been 6 days and I can’t use a head set, or the games I paid for. WTH?? 

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

You could try a full factory reset on your headset.  Not knowing more about your particular issue, that's what I would try.

niclasj-XR4work
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't see a "change email address" option inside the account center, so I'm unsure about the first. Also, every time I've tried changing the email through the Oculus log-in before, it has said that I need to reply to the confirmation email.... which is sent to the OLD email. 

And re: the FB account, the FB account isn't associated with that email anywhere - it's only associated to the old Oculus account. Which sends me in circles, see above.

Would really appreciate an official reply here...

Ocunoob1010101
Protege

You aren't going to get an official reply here.  You said you already chatted with them directly, and that's the only true way to get an "official" reply to your specific problem.

ninjag78
Protege

If it helps anyone and I'm not sure if already mentioned but I followed the instructions in this website and chose to set up the new Meta account with an email and password rather than Facebook. All worked flawlessly, including updating the app. Hope this helps.

https://www.theverge.com/23321673/quest-2-meta-account-facebook-how-to-switch

checkoutfirst
Honored Guest

A Meta account allows you to sign into your VR gadgets and view and deal with your bought content in one spot. You can set up a Meta account with your email address or Facebook account. On the off chance that this is your most memorable time making a record to utilize a Meta VR item, you can likewise set up a Meta account with your Instagram account.

Regards,
<advertising link removed>

asgaurd
Honored Guest

Same here , The meta account is up and running, but air link is asking to connect to oculus account , which no longer works.

Galadrielnomori
Honored Guest

Thanks a lot for making this happen. I never liked HAVING TO connect social media to my gear and I'm very happy with that decision. Keep up the good work!