cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v35 is available, let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions, and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports as well if you notice anything.

When release notes for v35 are ready to share, I'll update this post with them. Also, if any known issues appear, I'll add them here as well with troubleshooting steps if needed.

12 Comments
nalex66
MVP
MVP

One thing I noticed last night about v35--they've made the browser hard to find. I'm pretty sure it used to be in a row of buttons across the top of the apps window, but I wanted to quickly look something up and I could find no sign of it. I eventually changed my app filter to Oculus Apps, and found that there is an app tile for it. That now seems to be the only way to access it. Not a great improvement, in my opinion.

PainTitan
Explorer

The few apps pinned to the top explore, browser, tv, social, and something else. When are we going to see improvements to the library like showing installed apps on default or remembering how we sort the library or letting up pin certain apps so they always appear at the top and also let us hide apps we don’t use or remove free apps like demos when we don’t want them. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Copied over from the generic how to PTC thread;

I updated my Q2 to v35ptc a couple of days ago. Easy to do with Ryan's very good instructions. It's great that Ryan has now opened this thread to public posting. I hope that only actual users of the Quest PTC use this thread for discussion purposes (not rants). It's not clear to me whether or not Q1 users can also enrol into this ptc program? I've loaned my Q1 (and official link cable) to a flight sim mate and he's very happy with it using xp11 and af fs2. So, I doubt I'll ever see it again, lol! I did pickup a new Link cable as a backup for Air Link (which I'm now mainly using) while AL is still experimental. I got the new VR Cover 5m premium link cable and it works very well.

It probably gets a bit confusing as to whether someone is talking about the Quest v## versus the Oculus desktop app v##. I may try to call them something like Qv35ptc and PCv35ptc to help differentiate these.

I haven't noticed very many differences so far with Qv35ptc. A new Accounts settings panel that I guess makes it easier to setup multiple accounts sharing. I have not seen any cloud save features yet. I think that these are intended to show up in a Files app. Maybe these will be added soon since it would be nice to be able to save game settings/saves, esp. if a factory reset is ever necessary. I seem to need to do a factory reset with my Q2 every 2-3 months, lol!

My stationary guardian and double-tap passthrough with Qv35ptc seems to work fine, without any gridlines. The blue (default) floor circle seems to pop up a little more than it used to. Not sure why? Seems to happen if one of my controllers is out of view of my headset for a short period of time.

Also noticed with Link and Air Link that pass though works fine again, without scaling problems with previous Qv34 and PCv34.

I'm now on PCv35ptc on my Oculus PC desktop app btw mainly because PCv34 final has re-introduced shutdown problems with X Plane 11, while PCv35ptc shuts it down fine.

It would be nice if Ryan could list Qv35ptc and PCv35ptc release notes and maybe what's planned for additional updates to this. I understand that Oculus is planning on making both v35 versions (Q and PC) final before year end.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I got a small PTC v35 update today on my Q2.  I did not notice any changes in performance but I did notice a Cloud Sync function with the Oculus File app now can be enabled, and I enabled it.  I'm not sure what exactly this is supposed to do but I imagine it will help save game data if you ever need to do a factory reset.  I think it may have been there since v32 for photos but I never tried it.   Always hard to tell what's changed without any release notes, lol!

bberger
Explorer

Is there something like a changelog? It would help tremendously to test out new / altered features and behaviour and creating quality bug reports..

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I got another Quest v35ptc update yesterday and I believe that this is probably the same as the current non-ptc being rolled out now (version #'s are the same shown on a few YT vid I watched).  I also got a small update to my Oculus desktop app v35ptc.  All seems to be working fine.  I have not seen the Cloud Save feature yet so I guess I just need to wait a while to have this rolled out to me.  I would have thought that these rollouts would have been a priority for ptc-users?  Sort of makes me want to rethink whether or not to stay on the ptc program.

Sphar-Kee
Explorer

it seems i was "lucky" in a sense that I received the v35 update about 2 weeks ago. not sure what exactly changed, other than the fact that the PTC switch is in my phone app. I havent seen any of the other updates.  I do however have an exquisite update to my guardian as well as my graphics.  My guardian CONSTANTLY looses tracking, even while sitting right under my IR emitter.  but this isnt the first time tracking has had issues, so ill live.  

Onto the graphics...

ever since the update, at least twice a day, my graphics freeze up and i have to reboot it to fix it. Imagine that your quests screen was painted on vertical blinds, now take those blinds and open them around 45 degrees, and thats what ive been seeing. the picture is fractured like that but if you look through the "slats" you see a black area that shows you were your now missing pointer is - its down to the left about 30 feet!  Also, my virtual controllers frequently show up about a foot to the right of my actual controllers.  I hope this is taken care of soon.

and finally, where should i be looking for this CloudSave button?

thanks pal....

ps-i reckon this isn't your problem, but since the v35 update Pistol Whip has been occasionally glitching in the same way that it did when the new smoke and thunder update hit ( levels have no enemies )

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Sphar-Kee  If you find bugs in v35ptc you should report this and/or contact oculus support.

The only things I can suggest you do is to reset your guardian history, restart, then set it up again.  Regarding your controllers tracking try changing your controller frequency.  It is normally set to auto but you might try using you local power frequency 50 or 60Hz.

Your display problems sound a bit more serious and I’d contact oculus support about that.  They may ask you to do a factory reset.

If you are new to VR, especially the Q2, then maybe opting into the Quest ptc is not such a good idea imho.  You may want to consider opting out using your phone app device settings.  Up to you of course.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I also had the small update yesterday. No Cloud Backup yet either. hopefully it rolls out soon--I think I'm going to need to do a factory reset to resolve the problem I've been having since v34, with my headset shutting down to standby a few seconds after waking.

I'm also still missing Stationary Guardian 2.0, so thus far neither PTC nor the official v35 release have fixed the issues that I've had since v34 installed.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, Quest v35 is now going live to all systems. Thanks for participating in the PTC and providing feedback! Systems flagged for PTC will continue to get build updates as they become released.

We're still working on what sorts of release notes we can provide for PTC before the official release comes out.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I noticed a new change today--my Settings menu has changed to a tile-based menu like Apps rather than a sidebar list and a main window. All the same stuff seems to be there, just divided up differently. I think this style of menu requires more clicks to navigate around, since you have to go back to the main tiles page before you can get to another section of Settings. I don't seem to have a different version number than last time I checked (35.0.117... I think), but maybe it's a really minor difference in build number, or else this is one of those features that rolls out slower than the main release update.

I also noticed a new behaviour--while loading up Medal of Honor, my headset briefly switched to a passthrough view a couple times. No message onscreen or tracking issues, just passthrough for a second, then back to the game. It happened two or three times, while the game was starting up, and also while loading my save file. Never seen it do that before, and it definitely wasn't an accidental activation of double-tap passthrough, as I wasn't touching the headset at the time.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Had a small incremental v35 update today, and my Stationary Guardian issue is finally resolved. I'm back to the invisible grid that I had been enjoying as an experimental feature until the v34 update.

I think my other weird problem from v34 (headset going back to standby a few seconds after waking) is also gone, but I'll see how that goes over a few days.