cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v.37 is starting to roll out, let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions, and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports as well if you notice anything.

If there are release notes to share ahead of time, I'll update this post with them. Also, if any known issues appear, I'll add them here as well with troubleshooting steps if needed.

59 Comments
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Thanks, I have not seen the v37 PTC rollout on my Q2 yet but I already have the Oculus PC desktop app at v37 PTC, which I assume you should use with this.  I'll let you know what I think as soon as I get the v37 PTC version on my Q2.  Cheers.

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer

@TomCgcmfc 

Do you get the black flickering desktop panel with your 3 series card?

Fix is turning HDR off in win10.

Can you check if they fixed it or its still a problem?

HDR didn't/doesn't cause a problem with my GTX cards so.....

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@MystaMagoo  My monitor is not HDR certified so I can’t enable it with win10 settings.  Maybe just as well since there seems to be numerous posts on this forum and Reddit about HDR causing a lot of problems with PCVR.

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer

@TomCgcmfc wrote:

@MystaMagoo  My monitor is not HDR certified so I can’t enable it with win10 settings.  Maybe just as well since there seems to be numerous posts on this forum and Reddit about HDR causing a lot of problems with PCVR.

This is 1st I hear about HDR being the fix/problem.

Didn't have problem with GTX1080 and TV was HDR enabled then so maybe it's these 3 series cards or the RTX family.

alzahhar3
Explorer

Where can we find notes or any indication to what's new/fixed in the nee PTC updates?

Sphar-Kee
Explorer

"SystemUX keeps stopping" error message.

I get this message everytime i open the "Personalization\Virtual Environment tab.. Specifically when i try to click an environment or scroll down. I tried about 5 times, 2 of which required me to restart the headset (stuck on the three dots).

other than this, no problems.. the only change i have seen so far is that "Adjust Height" has moved to Accessibility/Mobility options.. Anything else new?. What happened to v.36?

@Ryanality wrote:

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v.37 is starting to roll out, let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions, and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports as well if y

barcalaci84
Honored Guest

Same "SystemUX keeps stopping" error message when I try to use Personalization / Virtual environment tab

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@barcalaci84  @Sphar-Kee   I just got v37ptc on my Q2 today and I did not see this Error message when I went into Personalisation/Virtual tab.  I tried switching to a few different environments without any problems.  I also tried this with 120Hz experimental and it worked fine.  I normally just stick with 120Hz disabled because I don't see any improvements with 120Hz, just shorter battery life and my Q2 headset is a bit warmer (but not hot).

I also tried Air Link with Oculus PC desktop app on v37ptc and all the Oculus, Steam, and VivePort games worked fine.  

Overall, I have not seen any significant difference so far.  Seems nice and stable, that's the main thing.

Like many updates (and this one includes a firmware update, including controllers) I often find it useful to get rid of Guardian history and re-do it after a restart.  Also, sometimes takes a few restarts for some features to appear.

It will be useful to see some release notes for both Quest and PC app v37ptc.

Edit;  win10 and nvidia 497.29 driver.

barcalaci84
Honored Guest

Everything else is working fine and stable. And I found out that my installed (not applied) custom home environment (city 17 ) caused the issue ("SystemUX keeps stopping")... I uninstalled it and Ican use the virtual environment tab as usual... No crash.

Sphar-Kee
Explorer

I'd forgotten about a custom environment installed. Did the same: removed, danced in triumph over error message absence ... Good eye man! 

JishG
Honored Guest

I had this error message too. I had custom environments installed so i uninstalled them to test if that was the problem and it was.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, thanks for reporting the issue with custom environments, I've forwarded it over to the team and they're investigating it. I'll let you know if they need any further details.

JP_Fr
Protege

Since the last update the image with the link is more blurred and droopy than the version 35 It is horrible

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@JP_Fr  v37ptc looks the same as v35 to me with both Link and Air Link.  Maybe try opting into the Oculus Desktop app beta v37ptc if you have not already done this.  Also check your device graphics settings and ODT.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

For anyone who is seeing this issue with custom environments, can you please make sure to report it as a bug.

siesar
Explorer

Hello

i dowload today V37.

It seem without issue at the moment, but i dont see nothing of new. 
I found before one video where tell the possibility with a part to invite in home friends, and create more configuration in pass-through about real room, but.. i dont find nothing options for try this ...

Where can i find it?

CptAnonymou5
Explorer

so many ppl buy quest 2 to play rift pc games, Meta kills 99% of all Rift dev crap. We dont want to be forced to play Mobile Meta Games that most casual ppl are okay with. Plz for the love of the Holy Grail bring back the Rift games you bought up all those dev's what are they doing ?? 🙂

rant over,

thx =")

krillme
Protege

I'm having a similar problem. On PTC v37 I'm having much blurrier visuals and significantly increased chromatic aberration across all Quest apps including Link. Link Sharpening seems very oversharpened now as well, however that might just be because of the previous option.

Here is an image I found on Reddit showing the problem.

Have any changes been made to chromatic aberration, lens correction, or link sharpening in the PTC? Is there a way to opt-out of PTC and return to the stable branch so I can confirm for myself this is where these issues originated from?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@krillme  I honestly did not notice any of these differences between v35 and v37ptc with native or Link and Air Link.  Maybe my old eyes can't tell the difference, lol!

Unfortunately there is no way to roll back once you're in the Quest PTC.  You can opt out of it with your smartphone settings but you'll remain where you are until the next public update.  All spelt out in the initial Quest PTC thread;

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Announcements-and-Releases/PTC-for-Quest-v-37/td-p/933388

I guess if you think it's a problem, report it as a bug in order to have their engineers review this.

https://support.oculus.com/articles/contact-us/contact-us/report-a-bug-on-oculus

JP_Fr
Protege

That's exactly what I have too. It's really horrible for the eyes. The 35 version was very good.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Deleted by TomC

krillme
Protege

Yes I agree, v35 was pretty much perfect as far as I can remember. Didn't have any problems with chromatic aberration, the sweet spot, or anything like that. Now it feels like my eyes are focusing on three things at once, like looking at a magic eye painting or wearing old school 3D glasses or something... It's very uncomfortable and straining on the eyes. That's why I was curious if there's a way to back out of the PTC, which unfortunately there doesn't seem to be, simply because the headset has become genuinely painful to play on.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

deleted by TomC

krillme
Protege

This is a thread for providing feedback on the v37 PTC update, this includes discussing issues and problems. On multiple occasions you've treated others in this thread with an attitude that is completely unwarranted. Having trouble using my $400 piece of hardware which I've already used for hundreds of hours because a recent update is causing problems with the display is not being a drama queen. There's no sense wasting my time returning or replacing the hardware when a software update is the source of the issue, as any new hardware would experience the same problem once updated until said problem is reported and gets fixed.

If you aren't capable of engaging in a constructive conversation maturely you are welcome to leave. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@krillme  Ya, report, not rant, lol!  Also, send in a bug report of course.  Thanks.

krillme
Protege

I did report the problem, you ranted at me? Perhaps you should heed your own advice instead of trying to arbitrarily dictate what kind of feedback I'm allowed to provide Oculus, especially when it's a problem multiple users are having, and even have pictures to prove it!

Will continue to monitor the thread for updates on this situation but not going to engage you any further considering you're not willing to treat anyone here with respect. Cheers.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Deleted by TomC

Adrian_Dimitrov
Explorer

They disable the ability to set custom resolution in V35. So i didn't like V35 either. But instead of improving the graphics... they become worse with every update... Strange.

ShocksVR
Superstar

Ok, thanks for bringing this up.  I thought it was just me imagining the increased Chromatic Aberration.  So ya, I too have this problem. 

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for testing everyone! I've forwarded feedback on over to the team, but please do make sure to put in reports whenever you see things, along with sharing it here. The more details the better!

Also, it's critical that we all stay friendly on the community, disagreement is fine, but remember rule one, "don't be a jerk." Bullying, attacks on other users, and inappropriate behavior doesn't have a place here, and we will remove members from the community forums if they can't play nice with others. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@ShocksVR  Try as I might I don't see the increased chromatic aberration with Quest V37 PTC that you, and a couple of posters, have mentioned with my Q2 native , Link, and Air Link.  The Reddit post pic that @krillme  included (also with increased blurriness) looks like a very poor in-lens pic comparison imho.  Maybe other brightness and/or colour adjustments have been made, who knows?

Since many YouTubers already have this update I would think that they would have noted this by now. Esp, if they bricked their Q2's, lol!

In any case, of course it's still worth reporting any bugs/differences that you see imho.  Thanks.

krillme
Protege

Could you link some of the YouTubers who have this update? I searched "Oculus v37" on YouTube and but I only got 10 results, all I found was generic news channels reusing the same "leaked" footage of room capture. I don't follow any VR YouTubers myself so it's possible their titles and tags simply don't include what I searched for. Maybe we could compare the footage to our own?

Actually to be honest I don't think it matters anymore. Ryan said the info has been passed on to the team. Considering how few people are in this thread and how many mentioned this issue (33%!) I'm sure they'll look into it. All I know for certain is that v35 looked good and v37 looks bad. 

siesar
Explorer

Hello Krillme

I also found very few videos and with the usual examples.
The problem is that after upgrading to version 37, I can't find any really noticeable difference with version 35.
I can't even find the new room feature for creating walls.
Can you find it?

krillme
Protege

I believe not only do relatively few people have the PTC, but the new features are given to a limited amount of users. Similar to when 120hz was added and many users didn't get it right away. So I think these features aren't enabled for us yet.

siesar
Explorer

Ok, 

thanks

I have understand

ShocksVR
Superstar

It seems there was perhaps a small update today (my Quest2 did the usual update activity - the white activity light turned on for 5 minutes, then it went back to standby mode).

Anyways, it seems the Chromatic Aberration of the display is back to normal levels, so that's good. I didn't notice anything else about the update.

My Quest2 is on version - 37.0.0.135.109.544258447

Runtime - 37.0.0.135.110.344258839

Thanks !

krillme
Protege

I got the update as well but it didn't seem to reduce my chromatic aberration. It might have a little bit, but that could also be placebo. I tried adjusting the headset to many different angles but can't get the clarity I used to have before PTC. Also tried resetting the device after getting this update and still nothing. I've heard v37 switches things over to OpenXR or something like that which could be why certain effects aren't working properly.

Either way I submitted another report on the device to hopefully give Oculus more diagnostic information as to why some headsets experience this problem and some don't.

Johnne25
Explorer

I haven't found any of the new features mentioned that were in updates 37.
I didn't find any issues with existing functionality.

Johnne25
Explorer

I am not sure if its related to Update 37, but I can not get the QuestLink (USB-C cable) to work.  I hadn't tried it in previous releases.

JP_Fr
Protege

I too have had the update and the image looks better than before. However, it seems to me that it is still not as sharp as on the v35.

soulburn74
Protege

Any news of whether or not v.37 will be the release officially supporting Windows 11? If not, will the eventual PTC that does have official Windows 11 compatibility be announced when its released?

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for all the feedback and testing everyone! v37 is rolling out starting this week, you can see the release notes for it here.

Please do feel free to continue submitting bug reports if you see anything.

siesar
Explorer

Very nice!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Ryanality  I don’t understand why when I’m on v37ptc I never seem to get final v37 features (eg. Quest home walk around).  I’d think that it would be more useful to let ptc users check for bugs beforehand.  Also not sure about +sharpening since I don’t see any differences from v35.  At this time I don’t see the usefulness of the ptc?

StefanoMetaversoFaci
Honored Guest

Hi, Yes strange.

siesar
Explorer

Hi, that's actually weird 😁 I too have had two updates to different V37, but there is no actual difference from V35, just a different version number, I have tried every way to find the different features, but I can't find them. Maybe there's some error or bug that doesn't allow you to test the new features, because otherwise I wouldn't see the point of giving a version in beta testing without being able to test it, not being able to test the new features.
For me, it is a bug that needs to be reported.😎

Johnne25
Explorer

I would have to agree.  We should be getting access to all the features in the release from the very beginning.  How else are we to provide testing and feedback before general release.  I still do not have access to anything new even though I am on Update 37.  In my option you are not making the best use of the PTC community.

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer

wrong1 delete me

Patrick2909
Protege

I also have the problem, the text feels blurry and it's much worse, I think everyone has the problem, but some don't see it, I noticed it immediately, the sharpness is too high and this causes the writing to have ghost images and also red and yellow outlines.