cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v40 is starting to roll out today. Let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting here if you notice anything wrong.

When sharing feedback, try to include as much detail as possible to help the team investigate.

88 Comments
JorgTheElder
Protege

It would be really helpful for these announcements to give at least a quick over view of changes/new features so we know what to focus on.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's something we've talked about, but often times features aren't turned on, or might not be available to everyone. The team also like seeing what changes people notice without a list. But it's also good to be able to point folks at a specific thing and say "test everything about this and try to break it".

It's really good for us to hear about basic things that wind up breaking somehow at the PTC level. Like with the PTC for v38 when it was identified that headsets weren't going to sleep with a lens cover and we were able to get that patched quickly. It never would have been on a list of changes, but PTC was critical in finding and fixing it fast.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Ryanality  I don't know about the Quest v40 ptc since I'm not enrolled anymore with my Q2 but I will say that the new v40 ptc with the oculus desktop pc app does not work very well.  Hand controllers gestures and tracking is bad and with some oculus store games like ultrawings 2 I cannot even use/select cockpit switches.  I opted out of this and it took me back to v39.  Actually the same version as the previous ptc.  All seems to work well again, or at least as well as it worked before, lol!

At least with the oculus desktop app you have the option to roll back beta versions.  I'll never go back to the Quest beta program until this is also the case.  Why this cannot be made possible?

JorgTheElder
Protege

That makes sense, thanks for the response. 

Now please let me back in the PTC! 🙂 I had to reset the Oculus app on my phone and now it will not let me back in the PTC.

JorgTheElder
Protege

What does hand-tracking have to do with the PC software? It only supports the controllers.

Feel free to ignore me. I see that some support has been added for hand-tracking in PC Unity apps when using Link.

saint_cow
Protege

Can anyone confirm is this solves the 72Hz bug? 

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Every recent patches have a big problem. I don't know the point of PTC.

JP_Fr
Protege

I find that the image seems to come back sharp both in native and with the link. I really feel like we are finally back to the same quality as the 35 version. The 120 Hertz parameter is available in the experimental menu

LaundrySaucee
Honored Guest

Still dont have anything but 72hz. Can you please fix this before i sell my quest 2 for something that actually works 🙂

RMMC_VR
Explorer

what is the status on MRC for android phones? I seem to remember it being mentioned on the support page for MRC that android phone support would be coming soon. is that a feature of v40?

LaundrySaucee
Honored Guest

it doesnt. i still dont have anything but 72hz. why even own a quest 2 anymore

CactusCowboy
Adventurer

Did PTC v40 on PC fix the Win 11 bug?

FluffyCuteOwO
Honored Guest

Hi! I would like to get answers to my questions because support does not give exact answers.

1) Do you admit the error with the inability to change the refresh rate of the screen or was it done intentionally?
2) Will you implement the possibility of rolling back to the previous firmware version? (This will help users continue to use quest 2 when developers release a new firmware update with bugs)

Thanks in advance for the answer!

FluffyCuteOwO
Honored Guest

The link to the bug report does not work.

FluffyCuteOwO_0-1651594152614.png

FluffyCuteOwO_0-1651594031303.png

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the flag! The link should be fixed now.

Regarding your questions:
1. It was a bug. We have a known issue thread for it in the support board and it was brought up in the previous PTC. The team has a fix that's in testing, they're going to try and get it into v40 and I'll let you know if it makes it into this PTC.
2. We've heard requests for this and the team has considered it, but I don't have any status to share regarding the idea or it's possibility.

CactusCowboy
Adventurer

Figured out myself: V40 PTC PC fixes the Windows 11 issue!

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

In PTC 40, I've set hand track to auto switch, but it will only switch after reboot.

Additionally, the hand tracking shortcut has been missing since V39 for me.

wolowooler
Honored Guest

My quest has been updated to v40 with what I can only describe as a crippling feature change to the headset tracking.  Previously, when tracking was disabled, it still managed to handle head movement and compensate the display.  i.e. One could still use it in a seated position and look around.

Now, the display is flozen in place looking forward. And objects like a browser window move to stay in the front position.  it in essence is so unusable as any movement at all is noticed as bob and shake.

This is not an improvement.

saint_cow
Protege

Is the 72Hz bug fixed? I am one of the lucky oneswho seen reports of it so haven't had my headset on wifi for weeks so I didn't get affected, doesn't help whey you want to play online of try new games. I still see people now saying that v40 hasn't fixed it, perhaps it's only a small percentage of users but at this rate I can see people giving up on the quest all together. 

GargoyleJuice
Honored Guest

Can we please get a fix for the refresh rate bug? How do you guys think that this is acceptable?

JorgTheElder
Protege

The point is to give them more info before the patch goes out to more people. Changes are that without the PTC, even more problems would make it to the public release.

Updates will never be perfect, but they need to top pushing new features and focus on fixing existing problems for a few months.

JorgTheElder
Protege

So not having anything but 72Hz for a month or so makes your Quest, literally the only viable hybrid headset, completely useless? That is quite a statment.

JorgTheElder
Protege

They replied that the 72Hz fix is on the list for v40 but it is not in the current PTC build.

JorgTheElder
Protege

"How do you guys think that this is acceptable?"

It is acceptable the same way any bug is acceptable. They did not break it on purpose, and they will fix it as fast as they can. Without knowing what changed that broke it, it is litearally impossible for you to know how hard it is to fix.

CONSPIR4CY
Explorer

Once the public test channel is full is there any hope for space to show up? im stuck on 72hz and i thought u could just update from the pc software but apparently, that's a different PTC for some reason.

GargoyleJuice
Honored Guest

I agree with you that usually bugs are a minor inconvenience to the user, however, this is not a bug in the traditional sense as it is false advertising (view tech specs on the oculus quest 2 store page). A locked 72 Hz makes me nauseated to the point of not being able to use the device. I just bought the Quest 2 with the purpose of playing at 90 Hz+. I don't think I can ever recall encountering a "bug" that REMOVES the critical features. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi RyanS,

I have a problem, hope to get your attention, hope you can check the private message I sent you.

I will wait for a response from you for that. Thank you ❤️

JP_Fr
Protege

When I'm connected to my computer with the cable, I have an "allow data access" window that now pops up every time I get a notification from my phone or when I take off and put on my headset. And it's impossible to click on it. You have to wait for it to go away at the same time as the notification. I did authorize it at least once at the very beginning

peti.gyuros
Honored Guest

Still no fix for 72hz only...

We need to be able to revert back to previous builds (especially PTC members). We're helping you make better software and in return we get to: be stuck with regression for who knows how long. 

CooN.TooN
Honored Guest

The display follows every head movement when guardian is turned off. Also, i didnt notice anything new in this update... i thought v40 was to be pretty decent...

sofakng
Honored Guest

Can we got some solid information from Oculus/Meta on the 120 Hz fix?

TinyMito
Expert Protege

Hey all, I had bad stutters with v39 previously with 3080. I had to lower the monitor resolution from 4K to 1080p to fix it while playing Lone Echo 2.

Hoping tonight, I'm going to test with v40 without lowering the PC monitor. To see if this is good news v40.

JorgTheElder
Protege

@sofakng wrote:

Can we got some solid information from Oculus/Meta on the 120 Hz fix?

The OP already posted that the refresh rate fix is on the list for v40 and will be included if they can get it done in time. They also note that it is not in the curren v40 PTC build.

Fatalution
Protege

The index finger extend gesture DOES NOT work when Link is engaged. Works just fine on 39.0 PC software. 

Noticed it when I popped into Lone Echo - couldn't press a button. Checked my controllers outside of Link (39.0 on Quest 2, 40.0 on PC) - works just fine on Quest 2 standalone.

Checked 40.0 Dash - the index finger does not extend when lifted. Downgraded to 39.0 by disabling PTC on PC - index finger extends again

TinyMito
Expert Protege

I want to confirm this as well, the index finger is not being tracked in Lone Echo 2 as well with V40, however, it tracks in the Quest environment.

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Ok, got the headset PTC 40 and pc software on PTC 40.

It fixed the Windows 11 problem, Holla Yua!

Now, however, when I click on the store icon (pc software) a blank box pops in front and moves with my gaze.

The only way to get rid of it is to leave pc and come back.

It only occurs when I try to open the store as far as I can tell.

FluffyCuteOwO
Honored Guest

Hello! I would like to share a bug from the last firmware version (v39). I'm not sure that it should be reported on the link that you threw off, because I don't want to confuse the developers.

Bug description:

Some system applications disappeared after a factory reset. As far as I know, this is not a normal situation.
My settings have also changed, now they don't have a lot of functions. (I attach a screenshot)

com.oculus.shellenv-20220504-184944.jpg

TinyMito
Expert Protege

Oculus App (desktop) v40 PTC and Quest 2 on (v39).

It's a lot smoother without running resolution down to a 720p PC monitor. Micro stutters are still there but more like every 4-5 seconds random. Better than Oculus App (v39 earlier on weekend before v40) that occurs every second.

The best experience was setting Quest 2 at 120hz experimental and leaving Oculus App at 72Hz.

However, I still haven't received the v40 update on Quest 2 itself. Only the desktop.

FluffyCuteOwO
Honored Guest

fixed

saint_cow
Protege

Is there anyway to know what headsets have the panel that is affected by the 72Hz issue? As in certain serial numbers? I'd like to get back online but not if I'm stuck updating to 72Hz

CONSPIR4CY
Explorer

I have the issue no refresh rate and its unplayable on 72hz make u dizzy and its a brand new headset so is the people iv seen having the same issue complaining so it seems to me that most who are getting this have the new version that comes with 128 GB and bought it recently that's just my guess but either way, if i was you i wouldn't update until v40 is out but it's up to you.

saint_cow
Protege

Thanks for the feedback, mine is a 64GB from release day order, perhaps I'd be right but as you said probably not worth the risk.

TinyMito
Expert Protege

Bought mine in March 128GB model, I see all 72hz 80hz 90hz 120hz options.

Andis3D
Protege

All my problems was fixed by V40....black screen at boot, 72Hz problem and now i notice performance is better....great!

p.s. please no more new firmwares.....never touch a running system. 😆

(i have the 128GB version)

Dtrkshadow
Honored Guest

Is v 40 out officially or do u mean the pt fixed it?

Andis3D
Protege

V40 is not out official, it´s PTC, but PTC is full, so, there are other ways to get it...

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Announcements-and-Releases/PTC-for-Quest-v-39-Megathread/m-p/961610/h...

CONSPIR4CY
Explorer

i just wanna say thank you iv been stuck on 72hz since i bought the **bleep** thing ur my hero!

timbobdavis
Explorer

PTC 40

When room lights are extinguished, head tracking is disabled and both controller pointers are not aligned properly.  If this is in response to any of my "Room Lights Out" comments, it's not at all what I suggested, noted, whined about for the last 5 PTC updates 🙄

sofakng
Honored Guest

I've been able to load v40 on my Quest 2 and it does re-enable the 120 Hz option!  Thank you!

However, the Oculus app for Windows only shows 72 Hz still.  Does that app need to be updated too?

CONSPIR4CY
Explorer

Go to the oculus app - settings - beta - restart oculus. Should fix it.