cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Public Test Channel (PTC) for Quest and Quest 2 v41 is starting to roll out. Let's use this thread for collecting feedback on it. Share your impressions and let us know if you see any issues. Please make sure to also send in bug reports along with posting here if you notice anything going wrong.

When sharing feedback, try to include as much detail as possible to help the team investigate.

37 Comments
Figy17
Honored Guest

First comment and first test Group I guess wohoo lucky me but uh yeah

I have been testing the setup room and I manged to brake it by adding to many objects that the walls started to disappear I have yet to do it again to see if it was a fluke.

arcofine
Honored Guest

The stutter is back on windows 11 with this version

AngeloCarlo
Protege

I have the v41 downloaded and I don’t see any noticeable changes. Am I missing something? I got a couple of things that were supposed to be in v40 and I already had the room setup feature before I downloaded v41, so I am kind of scratching my head here…

oneiros7
Honored Guest

This release solved a significant latency issue I had with Airlink on Windows 11, great work thank you!

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Sorry, about PC app PTC v41. It seems that PC app PTC v41 has Oculus Link bitrate limitation. So the max image quality is clearly worse than v40.

This is through the lens comparison between v40 900Mbps & v41 900Mbps.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2kacgwrc6g4awv4/v41-PTC900%2528Right%2529_vs_v40-900%2528Left%2529.av...

I reported it to Amanda (software engineer of Meta). She said it was unintentional and she is looking into it to see if she can fix. Thanks. 😉

Choleni
MVP
MVP

I just went back to v40. The PTC v41 for PC app is missing the friends and chat tab in socials when you are in VR.

AngeloCarlo
Protege

Ok so after playing around with v41, I did notice some improvement with the latency issues and couple of othe but fixes. 😃 As for features, there is a new color space feature in experimental that lets you toggle between a "Natural" setting and a "Vibrant" setting. It also looks like they finally calibrated the "Room Setup - Experimental" feature to work in your Horizon Home! All of the items in my room that I mapped out, now register as active guardians in my Horizon Home, which makes it much easier to avoid bumping into things! This also makes it possible to add more than one couch and desk to your Horizon Home and have visual representations for all of them!

I love seeing advancements in our home space and it makes me even more excited for what's to come! Thank you Meta! 

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there! We're glad to hear that you were able to see noticeable improvements. Comments like these are what make our job so enjoyable. 

Please feel free to reach back out in the future if you are in need of any more assistance, as we would be more than delighted to help!

Happy gaming!

AngeloCarlo
Protege

I’m just curious, but does anyone in this forum besides me, use there Quest 2 for Productivity/Workspace and/or Entertainment (Movie Watching, YouTube, & Social Media, etc) use? I don’t game all that much but my Quest 2 has already replaced my computer in a lot of ways. Can anyone else relate?

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Absolutely!

It's the multimedia side of VR I'm cheering for.

Major live events in sports and music in particular.

Virtual test drives.

Comon future, I'm gettin old.

LetoDK
Explorer

"Space Sense" is no longer available for me (which doesn't really make a difference, as the implementation of it sadly made it useless because static objects would show up - even with the distance settings). I hope Space Sense comes back in an improved version, where only moving "objects"/creatures show up + with proper distance units instead of bodyparts like feet etc.

- There is still no option to set the way the time should be displayed, so it still forces you to use the ambiguous system where you need to read numbers + letters like "AM" and "PM" instead of merely looking at the numbers like in e.g. 20:32.

JeffNik
MVP
MVP

Hey, Ryan. If you check out my history, I'm fairly active on these forums and am always jumping in to try new bleeding edge features - I've been a Oculus/Meta fan from the very beginning - I own a DK1. My app is saying the PTC is full, but is there any chance of putting me in? I would be a good addition to it, and would be able to provide a lot of feedback for you.

stuart.charlton1
Honored Guest

@AngeloCarlo wrote:

I’m just curious, but does anyone in this forum besides me, use there Quest 2 for Productivity/Workspace and/or Entertainment (Movie Watching, YouTube, & Social Media, etc) use? I don’t game all that much but my Quest 2 has already replaced my computer in a lot of ways. Can anyone else relate?

Movie watching & a bit of browsing, yes.   I do game but don't have a ton of time.   Curious how are you using it for productivity, is it Virtual Desktop or are there specific apps ? 

AngeloCarlo
Protege

@stuart.charlton1 

Well for our agency, I use my Meta Quest Browser to access my Slack, Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Asana, Canva and my LinkedIn Sales Navigator. I also use my file viewer to view content we create, and the native Facebook and Instagram Apps to review our prospects and/or clients pages.

As for collaboration with others, I meet with the founder of our Agency in Horizon Workrooms every week and host Agency Partners as well from time to time. I am also a part of a Facebook Group that meets in Horizon Workrooms and co-works together every week. We workshop different ways to use VR for business and sometimes just work on our own projects in the same room, similar to going to a coffee shop with your laptop.  I tend to have a hard time making these meetings because we try to find times that work with people in different times zones all around the world, but when I can make it, the experience is absolutely amazing! I am the only PTC member in our group, so I also post videos of me demoing up and coming features as they come out and lend my perspective on how it affects our objective to use our Quest 2 sets for our specific industries. I also do how to videos on how to use Horizon Workrooms.

I don't know many people that have already made the leap to using their Quest 2 as there daily computer like myself, but as things progress, more and more people are seeing this device as not just a viable option, but in ways has the potential to be a better one! I am hoping that Project Cambria changes the game and really is something that can compete with the type of computers we're all are accustomed to using!

@Ryanality@MetaQuestSupport  while we are on the subject, these are some of the things that would really help people like me who what to work in their Horizon Home:

• Full compatibility with Google Business Apps. It currently works, but it's a bit limited and buggy since Meta Quest Browser is not a supported browser with Google.
  • Gmail started defaulting to the HTML version on the Meta Quest Browser about a couple of updates ago. This really downgrades my experience, because I have no access to inbox categories, images, and quick actions in the HTML version of Gmail. A fix on this is extremely necessary for me to be able to continue to use my Quest 2 as a stand alone productivity device. Hopefully we will eventually see a native 2d app for Gmail some day. 🤞
  • Last but not least: Widgets, Widgets, and more Widgets! We have people in our Facebook Group that wont use Meta Quest Browser for work, simply because there are no Widgets! People love their widgets apparently! HAHA!

All and all though, I love the progress I have seen so far and as I have said in my previous post, I am excited for what the future brings! 😃

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll see about passing it on for you.

DarthFranco
Honored Guest

I tried a few times to work in Excel using the web browser. I really need to have my PC. I'm waiting for VD to allow tracked keyboards and will try again. can you let me know how it replaced your computer?

JP_Fr
Protege

Hi, my quest 2 doesn't hold the battery for a day without being used. This never happened before. When I come back from work I have to recharge it. I don't even have time to enjoy it anymore :(.

Banana4Bananas
Heroic Explorer

Why do you leave it on

AngeloCarlo
Protege

@Ryanality I have a question for ya. Do you have any idea when the new co-presence feature for Horizon Home will be available to PTC members? I would love to test it out and give feedback before it drops publicly!

AngeloCarlo
Protege

Nevermind @Ryanality . I just saw the release notes it looks like roll outs start today. 

M0RIATY
Adventurer

I'm in the PTC, but whenever I check for updates in my headset it says none available..? am I doing something wrong..? Or is this another example of UK users getting left behind..??

jacksond21
Honored Guest

In v40 I set the bitrate to 955Mbps, and the Alex game feels very real. With the same settings in v41, you can see that the bitrate is forcibly set to 500Mpbs through the log of Oculus DebugTool. At this time, although it is difficult to directly see the difference in image quality, but the sense of realism has disappeared.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

Yeah, and actually it's worse than v40 500mbps. 😞

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2kacgwrc6g4awv4/v41-PTC900%2528Right%2529_vs_v40-900%2528Left%2529.av...

v41 960Mbps looks like 300Mbps of v40.

jacksond21
Honored Guest

Mybe you can try:

Encode Dynamic Bitrate: Enabled,

Dynamic Bitrate Max: 955,

Dynamic Bitrate Offset(Mbps) 955

😀

tanubon
Heroic Explorer

No difference. In the first place, I think dynamic bitrate setting is made for Air Link. Meaningless for wired.

Eldraad
Protege

Just received the v41 updates yesterday (the PC version first then the Headset). During game play PRIOR to the headset update there were no problems. As soon as the V41 installed on the headset I experienced bad stutter or Lag on the games (not Home) that I had been in. Factory reset the HMD, and retested with the problem still there. It turned out that the wired  LINK  was the cause (Airlink was fine) as though data was being pumped to the HMD in an irregular fashion causing at some times the top/bottom of the screen to shift to one side or the other or images out of place momentarily. The Usb cable was moved to all other sockets with no change and replacing the cable with another (unused/in the wrapper) cable (tested both between 2.9 and 3.1 Gbps) made no change.

Choleni
MVP
MVP

I can confirm that.....I have these lags too. I'm playing a lot beat saber and it's really bad with those lags.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing everyone, I'd like to get this in front of the team but could use some more details for the report! For those of you experiencing FPS issues or any latency with v41, can you confirm for me if this is happening only when on Link or Airlink or if this happens using standalone Quest 2? Also, if you notice this only in games or if it comes up when in home? For those with lag on PCVR, what version Windows are you running 10/11?

Please make sure that you've reported this through the report a bug feature, as well. 

john.cabrer
Honored Guest

Pluto Tv and Oculus Store wont run, no USB connectivity, and Turning off after 15 seconds, even when there is activity.

Eldraad
Protege

Sorry, forgot the operating system part.  Mine is windows 10 (will NOT update to 11). Airlink SEEMS unaffected as does the "Homeless" Oculus home (contradiction? lol.). The Quest Link when running intensive games is where I find the problem, most of my games are on Steam and the ones in my HMD were erased with the factory reset. Dropping the Quest link in the performance setting to "recommended" and also on Steam VR did not show an improvement for the problem.

Eldraad
Protege

Also, the problem does show up in Steam VR home when looking at their menu in the wired Link.

Choleni
MVP
MVP

OS is Win10.
I tested Beat Saber and Pistol Whip in both versions - PCVR and standalone. Standalone doesn't seem to be a problem. Connected with a cable to the PC, I have these stutters..... When playing with Airlink, the view is no longer clear when the cubes come faster. I don't usually use Airlink so I don't know if this is normal or just came with this version.

I don't know if this problem occurs in my home either... I never stay in my home long enough to feel a difference😂 Sorry.

By the way - today these lags are less frequent and not that hard than yesterday. At least for me.

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the details everyone! The engineering team identified an issue that was causing some FPS/stuttering issues on PCVR and they're starting to roll out a fix for it. I'll update you all when I've gotten confirmation that it's out for everyone!

Eldraad
Protege

That is very nice to hear, thank you!

Eldraad
Protege

Did something change? Tried the Quest Link this evening and, although nowhere near gone, the stutter "seems" to be slightly less than before.

Choleni
MVP
MVP

I no longer have those hard freezes but still feel lag. It's better, but not like it was before v41.

Eldraad
Protege

Just received the PCVR update to 42.0.0.136.285 and in the few mins I was able to test it I could raise the recommended Quest 2 setting to 1.2 at 72 Hz and set Steam VR back to normal game settings with no noticed problems in Quest Link (for the 10 mins I was in) such as the bad stutter and screen jumps. I Liked the setting for Quest link and Air Link being in the same window now. Thank you for your work!