cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will start rolling out during the week of May 16th, 2022.

Tracked Keyboard Support

We’ve added support for additional tracked keyboards. We’ve also added the ability to manage your saved keyboards in the Settings menu.

3DS payment Support

We’re adding support for 3DS credit cards for the Meta Quest app store in VR. This additional security protocol adds a layer of protection in online payment transactions when you make a purchase.

• App developers have to opt-in to enable 3DS credit cards for in-app purchases.

Unlock Pattern for Apps

We’ve added a new capability to our existing unlock pattern allowing you to lock individual apps on your Meta Quest headset. This allows you to use your device unlock pattern to control access to existing apps in your library.

End-to-end encryption for Messenger in VR

We’re transitioning all 1:1 communication (messaging and calling) on Messenger in VR to use end-to-end encryption. This provides an additional layer of security when using Messenger in VR.

• Keep in mind, to use end-to-end encryption, both you and the person you’re chatting with will need to have the latest version of Messenger on your respective devices.

Audio Accessibility Settings

We’ve added additional audio features to help everyone hear every sound in VR. These include:

• Ability to adjust the left-right audio balance.
  • Option to switch between stereo and mono system audio.

You can find these settings in the Accessibility section of your in-VR settings panel.

Controller Settings

With this release, we’re moving controller settings out of experimental status and into the settings panel to make it avaliable for everyone.

• Controller Settings were added to your adjustable settings to give power users more options, improve accessibility, and address issues that may arise with wear and tear.
  • The setting that you can adjust include Thumbstick angle, and Thumbstick Range and Deadzone.

You can always find our release notes up to date on our support page here as well.

41 Comments
JP_Fr
Protege

With this new version my headset discharges even faster than before. It doesn't even last a day without using it. I have a friend who has the same problem.

joeljimenez103
Honored Guest

Still waiting on update 😕  Anyway to side load v40 update manually to quest 2 headset?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Ryanality  The release notes link you supplied only goes to v38.  We need to refer to your posts in order to see these.  Also, I think you should pin this thread and unpin the v40 ptc thread since it is no longer relevant.

it also would be nice to see some release notes for the oculus desktop pc app.  Thanks mate and cheers.

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer

V40 on my Quest2 looks sharper and more detailed for me best I've ever probably seen it,looks amazing.

controller nag screen is a pita,3 seconds after you 'let go/put it on the floor' and it nags

started around V36????

only it used to be relatively randomish when the nag screen came but now its a timeable 3 secs

hoboloco
Explorer

I am concerned that gamepad input is broken in version 40 and it is very important to me that I have gamepad support for our upcoming demos at AWEXR. I have been using gamepad input with several apps and it is working great in version 39 with an Xbox controller on 3 different headsets. However, a friend in the UK with a Quest 2 that has been updated to version 40 finds that gamepad input is not working with the same apps. Would you please verify that gamepad input is still working in version 40? If so, I am puzzled as to why my friend is unable to use his gamepad with the same apps I do and it worries me for my upcoming demos at AWE. My only option to be safe is to keep my headset off the network so that it doesn't update in the next two weeks until AWE is over.

XDeathReconX
Protege

So still no windows 11 compatibility? At this point it's clearly not a priority. Only reason I got the quest 2 and got rid of my CV1 was because I could use link to play all the games I have, I've been missing out on the last 6 months of pcvr releases because of this.

Also, what happened to Quest 2 app sort + from  v37.0? I still don't have that feature.

MehWhatever
Honored Guest

Is there ever going to be an option to use an external mic or an option to at least adjust the input volume so that players can't hear every little background sound when playing multiplayer games? I and several others I know would love at least one of these features.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I just got v40 earlier today with my Q2.  All seems fine so far with standalone (except that the Prime Video app still does not work) and PCVR with Air Link using oculus, steam, and viveport apps.  Overall, the clarity seems a little better.  Also, no more Oculus logo on power down.  Cheers.

Amorgeddon
Protege

Hey 

MX Keys - all models? Also MX mini or only the one called just MX? 

joeljimenez103
Honored Guest

Just got the update today and it includes both MX num pad keyboard AND MX mini.

Stalker854
Honored Guest

I updated to v40 today looking forward to the new audio accessibility options due to my hearing impairment. Sadly that menu option is not showing up for me. 

How can I access this menu? I have rebooted several times but still nothing. 

RMMC_VR
Explorer

I have asked before and I will ask again, is there any update on MRC for android phones? It was promised for "additional devices" a while ago on the support page for the mobile mixed reality tracking, with android devices being in the device table.

Stalker854
Honored Guest

After about 4 reboots. First the mono option appeared. One last reboot and the balance slider appeared. 

RMMC_VR
Explorer

v40 has bricked my headset, 9 times out of 10 on startup the screen remains gray unless I let it sit outside the boundary long enough to get the return to boundary warning, except for no menu pops up and the controllers do not appear, the cameras just turn on. 

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello RMMC_VR. This isn't what we like to hear. Please report this so that we can get this to the attention of our engineers. Here is a link to where you can report this bug. 

benjiie355
Honored Guest

Hey J-P-Fr sorry to hear about your situation. Why do you think you may be having battery discharge issues? Are you using any externally connected Bluetooth devices such as a keyboard? 

JP_Fr
Protege

Hi, there is absolutely nothing connected on my Quest 2. It is permanently connected to my pc by the cable so it charges while playing. But if I put it on standby in the morning and turn off the PC (so no more recharging) when I come back in the evening it goes from 100% to 20% without having functioned. I tried to turn it off completely but it still charges but maybe a little slower.

benjiie355
Honored Guest

Hi, Thanks for clarifying. What kind of PC do you have? When was the last time you tried unplugging your Quest 2 while your laptop is turned off? Do you think your PC could possibly be draining the battery from the Quest 2 itself? IS there no way for you to remove the cable? 

JP_Fr
Protege

This is a latest rog generation laptop with a usb c port that supports fast charging. I am a computer technician and I have already checked everything. But the same problem happens to my friends who don't even leave their Quest 2 connected.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@JP_Fr  I don't believe the Q2 supports fast charging so maybe that's part of your problem?  I always disconnect my Link cable after use, power down my Q2, and use the Q2 charger/cable to top off the headset battery.  This seems to work fine for me.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Got the v40 today, and afterwards my Rift CV1 was totally dead - did not turn on, never had that before. Checking for devices using the Oculus Desktop app, the CV1 suddenly was listed with a red circle and showing no HDMI detected. 

I remained calm, at least on the outside, lol - rebooted the rig, and now everything worked again 🙂 

Don't recall having to reboot before though.

Btw, also had to redo the Guardian setup, so clearly v40 did mess up a few things, but seems to be working fine with the CV1. 

jakolson
Honored Guest

I got the MX Keys version with the number pad. i can connect it-- but it just keeps saying "cannot display keyboard, please check room lighting"-- i've tried in multiple environments with multiple lighting scenarios.  i did get it to show up once for a few seconds in immersed--- but so far i'm definitely not impressed.  

Quacklin
Protege

How is this even possible?
After the last update I got many tracking lost errors in a room I played since quest 1.
And now with v40 my Quest 2 turns off every 2 minutes when using Air link.
I have to manually power the quest back on.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I got the non-beta oculus desktop pc app v40 update yesterday.  So now I'm v40 on both Q2/rtx3090 and PC.  All seems to be working great with all my Oculus, Steam (latest non-beta update yesterday to 1.22,12), and VivePort games/sims using Air Link.  Win10 with latest updates and nvidia 511.79 driver (still best imho).

Dadbart
Protege

Unconfirmed by me, but I did see a post today on Reddit that Win 11 fixes are in the PTC that is currently testing.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Dadbart  Ya, hopefully Win11 will eventually work with everything, lol!  Certainly not worth upgrading from win10 yet imho.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I gotta say that after playing around with v40 for the last couple of days (Q2 and Desktop pc app) everything standalone and wireless with Air Link is better than ever!  Thanks Meta Engineers.

jgarza713956
Explorer

Please fix the forgot pattern instructions. You can't follow instructions without knowing your pattern on step 3. I refuse to factory reset. It's the same as saying you got click forgot password and reset your password, but only if you know your password. Please fix this and Google all the forums of users refusing to factory reset because the instructions make zero since. You can only remove your pattern if you know the pattern you forgot. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I can also say that with v40 non-beta on both my Q2 and Oculus Desktop PC app that using the Oculus Debug Tool (ODT) if I set the ASW = Auto and the bottom mobile ASW AFI option also on Auto, I get a bit smoother result.  I'm not sure why?  Esp. since I have a rtx3090 that does not require ASW and I have a very good recommended router/wifi setup.

Edit;  Also, with my Q2/rtx3090 with Air Link I'm finding that 80Hz with res slider full right and 200mbps dynamic bitrate, together with setting Super Sampling to 1.0x seems to work great with all my Oculus, Steam (Visuals manually at 100% and advanced super sample filtering disabled), and VivePort apps/sims. 

Works even a little better with Link with these settings with bitrate = 500mbps (not much in it past 300mbps imho).  Bit better clarity of distant objects, slightly lower latency (~10ms lower measured, but I cannot really tell any difference), and virtually no artifacts (very few with Air Link anyway).  However, I still prefer the freedom of wireless with Air Link.

dperetti
Honored Guest

Since V40:

- Need to set up a Guardian EVERY SINGLE TIME I put my headset on (in the same room I've been using it for months).

- Experience tracking lost error in middle of games twice a day.

Told about it to pop1 teammates and they were experiencing the same issue since v40 as well.

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Oh great, there are still performance issues with Windows 11 and tracking is a mess.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@AlexiTQ  All's fine with Win10.  Just saying......

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Nothing is ever fine with Oculus. Not managing proper support for the latest Windows after more than a year since preview builds were released, is just disgraceful. 

michaelcawood
Protege

Thank you for all the amazing updates. But since the v40 update I’ve noticed “tracking lost” and needing to recreate the guardian way more often. Frequently interrupting during a play session and destroying unsaved progress. It’s enough to have to stop all social events centered around using the Quests due to the frustration it’s causing.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey michaelcawood! We have a couple of questions to ask to see if we can identify the culprit of the issue, please get back to us in a private message with answers to the following:

• Has your play area changed recently? New lights or possibly less lights? Any string lights or strip lights?
  • Are there any reflective surfaces in your play area? 
  • Are you able to try other play areas to see if the issue still occurs?

Please attempt to clean your headset's cameras to see if the tracking lost error goes away! We look forward to hearing from you via private message!

michaelcawood
Protege

I'm a heavy VR user so yes everything has been explored. I've tried multiple Quest 2 headsets in multiple environments and various lighting conditions. Interestingly using a Quest 1 was more reliable, when I tried that recently. Could have been a fluke though. I'll try hiding the small reflective surfaces I have, but they've been there all along, before the issue started.

michaelcawood
Protege

Removing reflective surfaces made no difference. So I probably just remade the guardian at least ten times in a short first time session trying to play In Death: Unchained. Eventually I was booted out of the game entirely twice losing progress. Giving up on the Quest is becoming common. Is there a way to choose what version of the firmware you want, so you don't have to put up with this?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@michaelcawood  I haven't noticed any similar tracking issues with v40 (standalone or with Air Link).  In fact, v40 is the first update I haven't needed to clear my guardian and experimental history and redo these.  Pretty hard to say what the cause of your problem is so you are probably best to work with Oculus Support to try to sort this out. 

Have you tried a factory reset with your Q2?  I know it's a pain to do (even with cloud saves) but it does often fix a peck of problems.  I've needed to do a couple of these in the last year I've had my Q2 and in both cases my issues got resolved (in one case this was a tracking issue btw).  In any case I hope you get this sorted out.  Good luck mate and cheers.

Aside; Not sure if this will help but here's a link with some 'tracking loss' info;

https://uploadvr.com/tracking-lost-quest-2/

michaelcawood
Protege

Thanks TomCgcmfc. A factory reset is on my to-do list at some point but it's a commitment and could cause other issues, so might not be immediate. It's good to see that list of fixes on UploadVR... just to know what people think helps. But it's bemusing to see 50/60hz tracking on there. The Quest 2 runs on battery... it should have no baring at all what country you're in and what the mains power frequency is. I have to assume that's a setting left over from non standalone headsets and maintaining compatibility with software designed for those.

FYI, I've already fired of a support ticket for this. It's that important!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@michaelcawood  Hopefully you’ll bite the bullet and do a factory reset in the near future.  It really is not that big a deal to do imho:

Setting your controller frequency to match your local power supply (50 or 60Hz) is still applicable to all oculus headsets.  Most just leave it on Auto but it’s worth setting it to match your local power frequency.  I believe I get slightly better tracking results with it set to my local 50Hz.  The main purpose of this is to help combat the flicker you get from your room’s ambient lighting.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Ryanality  There currently is a Quest home Browser bug.  I'm not sure if this is related to the v40 update or just a recent Quest browser update?

If you use the Quest browser to watch anything like YouTube vids and put your controllers aside (since you do not need them) when they go into standby (~5-10 minutes) a white dot appears in the screen centre and this moves when you move your headset.  So it becomes headset tracked.  To get rid of it you need to wake up one controller but as soon as it goes into standby again the same will happen.

This does not happen within any Quest games, nor does it happen anywhere within the Rift home using Link or Air Link.  I have lodged a bug report within Quest home reporting on all this.  Cheers.