cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OSX extend desktop to CV1?

hacKTorVR
Level 2
Just to clear things up first:
I know Oculus has stopped supporting OSX since 0.5.0.1 beta and I know extended mode is certainly not the preferred mode for the Rift.
Having that out of the way: I developed some research applications in OSX for the Rift, working fine with DK1 and DK2 with 0.5.0.1 beta.

Is there ANY way to get Mac OSX to register the CV1 as a normal display (extend the desktop), so I can at least check, if my applications still work with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS: Looking forward to the time when support for OSX is coming back (and yeah yeah I know of the poor graphics cards dilemma with macs at the moment, though that will change at some point)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

firuz1844
Level 2
Try this approach
So I just discovered this by accident. While using Parallels on my Mac to do some management on my Bootcamp drive I thought what would happen if I plugged in my CV1 headset? As soon as I did it gave an option to use the Rift in either the Mac or Virtual side. It then continued to turn the CV1 on as a external monitor like the old DK2 could in extended desktop mode.
Under the Parallels I couldn't actually get Oculus Home to see the headset, it reported a HDMI error, but I never really expected the screen to light up and work either. It's not really useable for anything like this but thought it was an interesting find none the less.
Screenshots of the System Info showing - Cinema display, Macbook display, and Rift display on the far right: https://imgur.com/a/PvCXG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

firuz1844
Level 2
Try this approach
So I just discovered this by accident. While using Parallels on my Mac to do some management on my Bootcamp drive I thought what would happen if I plugged in my CV1 headset? As soon as I did it gave an option to use the Rift in either the Mac or Virtual side. It then continued to turn the CV1 on as a external monitor like the old DK2 could in extended desktop mode.
Under the Parallels I couldn't actually get Oculus Home to see the headset, it reported a HDMI error, but I never really expected the screen to light up and work either. It's not really useable for anything like this but thought it was an interesting find none the less.
Screenshots of the System Info showing - Cinema display, Macbook display, and Rift display on the far right: https://imgur.com/a/PvCXG

View solution in original post

hacKTorVR
Level 2
Oh wow, thanks for that firuz1844!