cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positional Tracking does not work on Mac Os X El Capitan with the DK2

nikkih
Honored Guest

I've tried to install multiple versions of Runtime, I have tried to connect the camera to both the connecter block and to the headset itself while using the external power source. Within Oculus Configuration it sees the camera and all the lights are blue however when I open the test demo it cannot use positional tracking. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get this work?

5 REPLIES 5

cybereality-ahu
Superstar

Mac OS X support was put on "pause" so the most recent Runtimes are Windows only. I believe the newest version that works with Mac is 0.5.0.1. However, that release is from earlier in the year and was likely never tested on El Capitan. What I would ask is if you try the DK2 on a Windows PC to rule out a hardware defect.

psoon
Honored Guest

@nikki_bhd I was able to get tracking to work with El Capitan using 0.5.0.1 last night. Although I could not get every program to run on it, the demo scene in the configuration utility worked right out of the box.

The first program I tried after the demo scene wouldn't split the view between both eyes, so each eye was getting the left and right images. I went back and forth a few times with the demo scene working flawlessly, and finally decided to try a different program. That one didn't work either, but the third one did. So I downloaded a few more programs. Some worked, some didn't. I've only had a few hours with it, but that's been my experience so far.

If you can confirm your hardware works on a windows machine, I can confirm tracking works with El Capitan for compatible programs.

nikkih
Honored Guest

@cybereality, @psoon70 thank you for your replies. With 0.5.0.1 runtime positional tracking within the demo scene does not work for me on El Capitan. These are my specs:

Version 10.11.1
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch)
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Any ideas how to fix it?

nikkih
Honored Guest

@psoon70

I have tested Positional Tracking on a Macbook Pro running Yosemite and the RiftConfigUtil works. So either I have to format back to Yosemite or I have figure out how to make it work in El Capitan.

matte
Honored Guest
@cybereality-ahub @nikkih 
Just dredging this thread back up, since I've run into the same issue. I've been using my DK2 to work on some film-shot stereo panoramic photography for exhibition, and for a while have only been using rotational tracking, not positional. Yesterday I started a new project, and realised that positional tracking doesn't work for me either. I've tested with my own apps, and with the desk demo.

Out of curiosity, I checked the IR LEDs using my phone camera in a dark room, and they don't seem to light up when I run the desk demo. I've photographed it before, and could clearly see the LEDs back then. I've tried it with and without the power adapter plugged in.

The 0.5.0.1 SDK is reporting that positional tracking is enabled in the trackingCaps, but ovrHmd_GetTrackingState->statusFlags is returning 

ovrStatus_OrientationTracked|ovrStatus_PositionConnected|ovrStatus_HmdConnected
Implying that the tracking should be working but it's not currently being tracked, or 'out of range'.

I'm on a Mac Pro running El Capitan, with the 0.5.0.1 drivers. I can guarantee that this DK2 ran on this exact same hardware on an earlier OS with positional tracking working properly.

I know Mac support is 'on hold' and that means it's not currently supported. I get it. That state of affairs was previously bearable for me given that I could still use what I have, to develop and test things. Now it seems it's actually a regression, which is very disappointing... I bought this DK2 under the premise of Mac support, and I understand things have changed and are we're not getting further additions, but I'd really like just to be able to use what I have.

Is there any chance at all that an engineer to spend a day or so just investigating this and seeing if it can be fixed or even worked around? Maybe it's something really simple? I'm sure people in similar positions to us would appreciate it immensely.

thanks