cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Gear VR] UE4, new audio engine and HRTF sound

motorsep
Rising Star
I just found out that FMOD increased its indie licensing fees aggressively, which makes it hard to justify using FMOD for Gear VR development.

I am under impression that new audio engine that is experimental in 4.15 and will be finalized in 4.16 supports HRTF, reflections, occlusions, doppler, etc. on all platforms, including Android. However, Epic mentioned that all the goodies for Gear VR will be available through plugins from 3rd party devs.

Do you guys plan offering a new audio plugin for UE4 that would allow all the VR sound goodies available now to be available with UE 4.16 without FMOD ?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

matexyu
Explorer
The Unreal Engine is going to include the Steam Audio / Spatializer, for free.

The Steam Spatializer (last time I checked still in beta) already works with Unity + Gear VR with a given Unitypackage and precompiled native libraries.

As of now I don't use Unreal Engine by myself, but it looks like things are moving

Best regards

motorsep
Rising Star

matexyu said:

The Unreal Engine is going to include the Steam Audio / Spatializer, for free.

The question is about Gear VR. Steam stuff is for PC, not for mobile.

matexyu
Explorer
Hi

The Unity plugin already supports Android / Gear VR (I have tried it and it works.)

See: https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/downloads.html

motorsep
Rising Star

matexyu said:

Hi

The Unity plugin already supports Android / Gear VR (I have tried it and it works.)

See: https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/downloads.html

I just checked Github and there is no word about Gear VR. Nor about Android.

Steam Audio is former Impulsonic / Phonon. It used to support Gear VR via... surprise... FMOD. It never supported spatialized audio on Android directly. 

On top of that, this is forum for Oculus devs, not Vive's. So, I am not interested in Steam Audio at all.

Petroza
Heroic Explorer
We are looking at exposing the rest of the Audio SDK features (including room model) in UE4 now that they support plugins. We haven't got a definite timeline for this work but it is a priority we hope to get to soon.