cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emotiv Insight Possibilities

winpioneer
Honored Guest
I was browsing around kickstarter and stumbled upon this exciting headset that translates your brainwaves into "something meaningful", (to put it simple, it is a Electroencephalography or EEG). This device might have some potential when used along the rift, like character movement, orientation, flying, teleport. This might be a better alternative than an omni-directional treadmill, but with the downside of not getting a good workout while playing. I guess the only question now is, will there be enough room on your head for so many devices? :?: :?
Below is a link to the device on the kickstarter site:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tanttle/emotiv-insight-optimize-your-brain-fitness-and-per?ref=p...
10 REPLIES 10

whoisonline
Explorer
Nice post .. thanks for sharing this one.
I wonder how well it will work .. I mean, could we replace the xbox controller?
Imagine if we could move in any direction just by thought .. very exciting.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Looks cool. From what I heard, these types of devices come nowhere close to replacing a controller in terms of latency and accuracy, but still an interesting development.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Zaberith
Honored Guest
When I first saw Oculus, combining it with the Emotiv was my first idea.

Emotiv isn't perfect at first, because the program has to learn your brain patterns to determine what you want to do. However, it becomes better and better at it the more you play with it.

From what I can see, it isn't really difficult to use and there are even games beginning to be developed around it, too.

whoisonline
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
Looks cool. From what I heard, these types of devices come nowhere close to replacing a controller in terms of latency and accuracy, but still an interesting development.

I can understand how it wouldn't replace a controller in terms of speed and accuracy, but do you think it might be good enough to simply walk forward in the game? or perhaps selecting menu items ?

Raven
Protege
Been monitoring neural-interface advances for a few years now. They're still limited (avg. user can train/accomplish maximum of 5 different commands—hard to maintain concentration), but one of my first thoughts as well was trying it out with the Rift.

However, I've lately been thinking whether the Rift HMD/wires could cause electromagnetic interference of some sort? The neural sensors are, after all, rather sensitive as far as I know. There's a guy I know at Reykjavik Uni. AI lab who has a neurosky headset (competitor product)... maybe I can borrow one to try. I'll let you guys know if I do.

esac
Honored Guest
EEG need more resolution
MRI is too expensive
fNIRS is too expensive (but less than MRI)
we still have to wait 😄

dwood15
Protege
"esac" wrote:
EEG need more resolution
MRI is too expensive
fNIRS is too expensive (but less than MRI)
we still have to wait 😄

You could get the Emotiv EPOC which is more expensive, but provides the extra resolution you may want. It, however, will require you to use wet sensors.

I've got an insight on order, looking for it to arrive April/May. I'll keep you updated.

KubaGlazek
Honored Guest
Check out my post from earlier today here: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4579 discussing a few issues regarding coupling OR with EEG.

simplyklug
Explorer
THIS would be possible.

http://vrdatabase.com/gallery/#/misc/