cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with some programming

lmaceleighton
Honored Guest
Greetings!
For a while I have been working on a FPS VR Game Controller for a game that I have been making in my spare time. I have just implemented some IR positional tracking, and things are coming together well for my understanding of this sort of programming, but I am coming to the end of my knowledge and I could REALLY use some help. You can check out most of the progress here in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8204&p=139851&hilit=Imagn#p139851

The Rifle has a mock Silencer that I attached a Ping-Pong Ball, and 3 IR LED's(inside the ball) with a set of rechargeable batteries(on a circuit with a proper resistor) and I get an AWESOME IR glow when watching through my Modded PSeye Camera(Modded for IR or course). It is all tracked with OpenCV using TUIO CCV(Open Source), so all tracking information is UDP output, or XML, and I get sub 3ms tracking tests!!

So I am really looking for some help, and guidance in creating a proper application that will interface and combine all these types of tracking together that I have been working on. Now I don't have anything to pay, 'BUT', I AM going to release this all Open Source now(Just the Gun, not the game), as well as all the software being open source, so wont the plans for the gun itself. As well I will create a tutorial set outlining how I made this one, and how you can make your own in what ever shell you want. So it can really could be almost anything.

Now the cost of the hardware isn't that much. The IMU's CAN cost a bit, but they DONT have to. I had bought a really nice one from Sparkfun but the GY-80 I have that cost $12 Each and gets a very similar performance with my current firmware. Now one of the 'most' Important parts is the Arduino, I use a Leonardo, but if you need it smaller the Arduino Micro is the same as the Leo but smaller. The shell I put it in was $30, BUT I bought that brand new(Airsoft). I could have easily put it in something else that I got from a yard-sale, or had lying about the house. A LOT of the hardware, like the Rotary Encoder came from old Stereos and stuff, but they can be bought online or at radio shack for very little. if you were very frugal you could totally build this gun for under $50.

Now with all that out of the way, back to me asking for help. I have TONS of coding done. ALL of the AHRS is done,... well I call it 99% 'done' as something might need to be adjusted/changed to accommodate anything that might be need to be changed in the merging process, or writing an outside interface app. I have a good sample app that gets positional information from the PSeye cam through TUIO and then emulates key presses to move about in game worlds. The Arduino Firmware I have for the gun itself is the most extensive, as it emulates a full mouse and keyboard and works darn good by itself, If you watch the video I posted I think you'll agree that it's not bad. So I could REALLY use some help AND some guidance, and together I think we could make a really cool VR input device that works well, is cheap and Open Source!
I know there are lots of emerging device out there, and I am not claiming that this is going to be "the one" by any stretch of the imagination. What I want is to create something everyone can use that is open source, that as a community we can improve and make to suit our tastes in a broad way that will be good for all.
When I first started it I wanted to sell it, but then I got thinking, that this should be an open source project for all. So pleaselend a hand in anyway that you can!

~Bobby
Imagn' Games
4 REPLIES 4

lmaceleighton
Honored Guest
Also if anyone want to just throw in some design Ideas, I would be happy to listen. Also I was thinking of calling the project OpenVRinput. Very simple and self explanatory.

lmaceleighton
Honored Guest
Does anyone have any suggestions of other sites? (besides Unreal I already Posted something similar there) I want to reach more people that want to work toward this goal, I know they have to be out there. Also I am just about to log into mtbs3d.com, and post something there...somewhere...

~B

conectorrrr
Honored Guest
that could be used for sniper's training.Every sniper before his first kill has moments of hesitation. A game that would simulate overcoming the feeling of compasion for the target could be helpful for adepts.When you look throught magnifying glass of a gun you see 2d picture ,that 2d piccture could be a video.A video of very realistic people being about to be killed, easy to produce,manny diffrent videos,ultra controversial.It might seem like a training for psychopats but let put this this way. Somobdy hesitated in game and dint shoot the target ir right moment. then farther action results of deaths of innocent people becose the target was not taken down in right time. then you hear interal voise of regret that you haven't accomplised your task and so ON..it would be kind of brainwashing application

lmaceleighton
Honored Guest
I would love to put a small screen in the scope, but that would work well for VR. Thank you for the suggestion though. I will of course making sure the VRgun IN VR has a good working scope ;o)

~B