cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Occulus to help young people in charities

funkeew00man
Honored Guest

Hi there,

I work for a UK Childrens charity Barnardo's as part of their IT department.  We are looking at new innovative ways to help children and young people who are disadvantaged to use technology for the following purposes:

Educational purposes to help young people learn new technologies and to provide new skills that can benefit them in the future to find employment or apprenticeships.

Therapeutic purposes for young people with disabilities and who would like to learn and experience activities that children without disabilities can do.  Help with coordination, life skills, etc.

We are just at the discussion stages of this but I would really welcome some good ideas on how we could possibly use Occulus to help some of the young people we work with in our charity.  We hope to buy a couple of devices (or have some donated) and loan some of them out to young people but we would like to have something we can excite them with. 

Would anyone be able to help?  Are there products or applications already out there that work with Occulus that we can use already?

We use ipads, android tablets, smartphones, Lenovo laptops (X series  and T series) in our organisation already.

4 REPLIES 4

Hi funkeew00man, great to see what you're doing, i hope you have lots of success.

I came across this British company the other day who produce software for education - maybe another lead.  Not only do they produce the software but they also have an apprentice academy or something:

http://www.eonreality.com/

I'd also put this thread in the Community/General section too - you'll get many more views.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

funkeew00man
Honored Guest
Hi Andyring,

I really appreciate your post.  Its really encouraging to see that people are interested in using technology to help children and young people who are disadvantaged or need some educational benefit from technology.  

Thanks so much for the link to eonreality website.  I will have a good look through all the products in their website and see what we might be able to use in our chartity.

If you (or anyone else that reads this) have any more innovative suggestions like this  i would be incredibly grateful.

Thanks again,
Funkeew00man 🙂

Mitnainartinari
Protege
Hi funkeew00man,

It's nice to see people working in this field. I'm looking into the possibility of mental health/neuroscience app development soon. It would most likely be educational apps with a neuroscience focus, although I haven't decided yet what age group to target. I got my PhD in neuroscience and have a lot of connections in the mental health field. Does the charity you work at get involved in child mental health?

Cheers,
Martin

Just read this post in the Community Section:

We just started a new podcast on this exact subject - using VR in education. In addition to the excellent programs listed above, there is also Unimersive, Discovery VR, Alchemy VR, Nearpod, EON Reality, Gamar, Water Bears, Thinklink, and a number of others on the way, and we'll be covering all of them on the show in upcoming episodes. If you're interested, check it out at http://NewSchoolVR.com!

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/45019/oculus-in-education#latest
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3