cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRChat.net | First Person Chat Network

articulite
Honored Guest
Anyone interested? I have no idea where to start and I am focused on something else right now. I know VRChat could be a really great tool though. Community project? I don't think it should be something created by one person for profit but by all of us as a community. Domain registered. If there is interest, the domain will be donated to the cause:)
17 REPLIES 17

craigotron
Honored Guest
Articulite, I support your sentiment entirely. As collaborative efforts begin to take form, we will need to discuss how these efforts need to be structured from a legal standpoint, so everything is managed in an equitable manner. In fact, I'll set up a thread dedicated to just that.

I'm really feeling a general philosophical camaraderie already. This is feeling less like a bunch of VR enthusiasts and more like a gathering of similar minds.

Krisper
Explorer
Sounds like a great idea. I think it would be great to meet and chat with fellow Rifters in VR.

I wonder if it could be built around something like OpenSim, or would it be better built from scratch.

craigotron
Honored Guest
Articulite
I removed my earlier post because it was helpfully pointed out to me that I was jumping the gun in several regards. Apologies.

I'd still love to work with you towards any common goals we may have.

Seek me out if you'd like to work together in any way.

Best
Craigotron
Player 7048
craigotronprime@gmail.com

somepersoninabo
Honored Guest
I completely agree this is definitely a project that should be community based. I would be interested in putting time into a project like this one.

gg67
Honored Guest
I threw together a prototype VRChatroom during a Hackathon at my university this past weekend. I built it using Unity but am considering making the switch to UDK. I figured I'd put it on github and make it open source so we could get this super functional and pretty, but I haven't found the right combo of Unity and Github that makes getting the project up and running a no brainer. I just uploaded a video on vimeo to show you guys what I've done so far (it's not much but it's something). There's no audio in the video but I assure you voice chat works 🙂

Things in the demo include: networked first person avatars, voice chat, floating avatar names, message board and arcade style portal other lands!

Should be "uploaded" by vimeo in 45 min.

https://vimeo.com/63142349

Shoot me an email if anybody is interested. I'll eventually get the full thing on github.
graham.gaylor@gmail.com

Krisper
Explorer
That's a nice start Graham. I would be keen to see if I can help. Unfortunately I'm not that good at making things look pretty either, I am better at writing code.

craigotron
Honored Guest
Graham
That is fantastic! Unless I'm mistaken, this is the collaboration forum's first proof of concept. I've made contact with Andres (cybereality) from Oculus about creating an official visualization space of the oculus website itself so we could navigate through it in the way William Gibson would have always wanted to see it. In the business world, I believe they call it "Eating Our Own Dog Food". I call it being at the heart of something that could become Foundational.

Would you please consider offering your code for use to all forum members who want a starting point on which they can build atop your foundation. I'd like to use it as a starting point for my own forum idea - News Your Own Adventure.

Would this be acceptable to you?

gg67
Honored Guest
Absolutely. I haven't gotten Unity to work well with GitHub yet but I'll try to get it up by tonight with some documentation. I kind of want to go through and clean up my scripts and add more comments 😛

One thing to note.

I'm not sure how Unity stands with regards to purchases from the Unity Asset Store being used with open source software. The one piece I did purchase was the bulk of the Voice Chat asset. I had to do a lot of integrating with my project to get it to actually work, but all the encoding is done by a 3rd party developer who posted his asset on store. Anybody know the deal with that?

Other than that, I'll try to get it up in the next few hours. I'll post back with the link.

Glad y'all like it! I'm excited to see what we can do.

craigotron
Honored Guest
Exciting times! Let us know when when we can git going 😄