cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deutsches Layout K830 Tastatur ( und andere Sprachen) Quest 2

andrew.tadstone
Protege

Wann wird endlich eine der wenigen Tastaturen die mit der Quest 2 komplett getrackt wird, endlich auch auf andere internationale Sprachen wie deutsch, spanisch oder französisch angepass? Das wird die Eingabe von Texten, zum Beispiel in einen Workroom massiv verbessern. Ich habe bis jetzt keine hilfreiche Antwort vom Support bekommen (Uservoice).

21 REPLIES 21

Hey Andrew, thank you for the suggestion, making the Oculus software more accessible for everyone. We appreciate your ideas in new apps. To make our developers aware of your suggestion, the best way is to submit your idea in the Oculus Uservoice. You can access the User Voice here: https://oculus.uservoice.com/
See you there!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

@MetaQuestSupport we can not access oculus.uservoice.com from Russia
gennady@wasphive:~$ ping oculus.uservoice.com
PING oculus.uservoice.com (104.17.29.92) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- oculus.uservoice.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4079ms

But https://uservoice.com/ we can

The best code is the absence of code.

Using keyboards in Oculus Quest 2 in a VR office environment.

I have a K830 keyboard which is connected to Quest-2 via BlueTooth.
This keyboard has a US key mapping and english key inscription.
I am planning to use Quest-2 for general software development unrelated to VR.
Because the keyboard is not clearly visible via helmet, we do not need to change letters on key inscription. But we can see the keyboard in the VR environment and surely we need to change the texture mapped to the keys.

oculus env.jpg

Setting 1. Oculus connection only.

K830 connected to Quest-2 via bluetooth. This setting is not very useful since it can be used only in the oculus browser. It is possible to write Google docs, or code in the browser.
I have to admit, tracking the keyboard in VR is very good!! The texture on the keyboard is located (in older firmware, I found in internet) /system/priv-apps/VrShell/VrShell.apk/assets/logitech_k830.gltf.ovrscene/k830_diff.ktx
or /system/priv-apps/VrShell/VrShellHome.apk/assets/logitech_k830.gltf.ovrscene/k830_diff.ktx

oculus_k830_kbd.jpg

Setting 2. Immersive application (Linux, Windows, Mac)

In Immersive there is no specific support for the K830 keyboard. It uses any keyboard connected to a PC or K830 connected to an Oculus. Program provides keyboard tracking and covers it with keyboard image. It is only one image, one keyboard layout. Since Immersive is written using Unity it must be in asset bundle immersed.apk\assets\aa\Android.

immersive keyb.jpg

But there is no keyboard tracking, it lays texture on the table based on static coordinates of P Q and B keys. The process of coordinate mapping is called CALIBRATION.

immersive_env.jpg

Setting 3. Oculus Remote Desktop application with Horizon Workrooms (Windows, Mac)

This application shows only one monitor with low (1440x900 default) and high resolution (1920x1080) which require manual switching. The position or size of the screen can not be changed. It seems it is related to the very simplistic pixel rendering algorithm. Also neither keyboard or mouse connected to the helmet are working. The K830 keyboard is tracked using Oculus algorithm but in order to type it shall be connected to the computer.

Horizon Workrooms tracking.jpg

The interesting thing is that Remote Desktop has an additional pass through mode where you can see the keyboard and hands still with keyboard tracking.

Horizon Workrooms tracking and pass.jpg

Setting 4. vSaptial

vSpatial Very complex application in terms of graphics and working with computer screens. But it is absolutely useless if you want to work with a keyboard. It takes input from the Oculus but there is no real tracking or pass through. The calibration process even for K830 does not allow do position keyboard keys some were near the real coordinates. 

vSpatial calibration.jpg

Setting 5. Virtual Desktop streamer

Unfortunately no support for the keyboard.

Conclusion

The best and usable keyboard support is available in Oculus directly, but it is kind of useless. The same level is available in Horizon WorkRooms but with resolution 1920x1080 and static screen size, which kills the idea of a VR coding environment. The second option is Immersive. It has flexible graphics but there is no keyboard tracking at all. Just calibration of 3 keys position, which is not precise with a single and strange keyboard layout I have ever seen. Since Immersive is written using Unity we probably can reverse engineer it to change keyboard view.

About language switching

If you work with a computer in VR, the keyboard already works with computer defined languages. What is missing is visual key mapping in VR. It could be done statically, like inscription on keys (we have it on physical keyboards) or dynamically when inscription changes when language changes. The first one is easily doable replacing static textures in VR applications.
The second is simply impossible, because a VR application in a helmet should know the language settings of your computer.

So currently the only practical option is to tweak the immersive app, as the only application with a keyboard useful for software developers. But tracking is so bad so I am not sure if it will give me any profit in terms of working efficiency.

That's a good summary. Unfortunately META does not recognize the potential and does its own thing. This means that the Quest 2 cannot and will NOT be able to establish itself as a work tool in Europe. It's sad that other US companies are more service-minded.

I've already posted the problem there and don't get any feedback. If you want to establish your Meta Quest 2 product in Europe, there must be better support for work keyboards such as the K830 from Logitech. Otherwise the quest can NOT be used as a work tool.

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest-2-and-quest/suggestions/44344533-more-layout...The problem with the international layouts has been known since the introduction of support for Bluetooth keyboards at the beginning of the year and nothing has happened on the developer side to this day.

I have added the last chaper to the article "About language switching" It seems that there is no usefulnes at this moment for software developers in any region including USA. We have to combine well developed trchnology of keyboard traking from Meta with computer reperesentation in VR from immersive.

Thank you for your efforts. Actually this is a problem that META (Oculus Support) should solve and not you. For me it is of interest to use the keyboard with the correct language layout when working. For my individual use, the tracking is, however, within an acceptable range. I would benefit from tapping with 10 fingers.

hope you get the quote: Your voice request link sends me to "site not found" it's really sad, that they blocking the success of their own device... keyboard should get user editables ... multitasking for example to have whatsapp while working or gaming... the minimum brightness should be backgroundlights off and many more and that arent really big projects at all. I bought a k380 instead of a k830 and typing this with right controller...btw I'm from germany too. I'm into quest 2 since this month ... not many days at all ... and I'm a developer ... I don't get it, that meta does act like this.

ReBornTheFirst
Protege

this must be a joke. I have upgraded to a Quest Pro and finallz bougt a mx kezs to use in Workrooms.... reallz no other kezboard lazouts than us? tzping this makes me just angrz.... searching for the right kezs is reallz fun!

The best part is that uservoice doesnt exist amzmore! Just WOW

MJOIST86
Explorer

Its really unbelievable that meta do nothing the whole time. Its a android system so that it should be no issue to support it. I have bought me a meta quest pro and i can not change the keyboard layout that a beta product. Dont buy it or send it back