cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go AMA panel

la_reina
Protege

Hi everyone! I’m Reina Shah and I currently manage Entertainment content at Oculus. Prior to joining Oculus, I spent 10 years in gaming- from financing FB and mobile game companies, to user acquisition for social and mobile titles, and most recently I managed BD for Unity’s Cloud Services division. 

Fun Fact: I’ve completed at least one hike in 46 different countries. 
Twitter: @reina_shah

###

Hello all! I’m Gabor Szauer, I'm a developer relations engineer at Oculus. I support developers targeting mobile platforms like Gear VR and Oculus Go. If you have technical or performance related questions, I’m the guy. In my spare time, I also make video games and have written several publications for game development.

Fun fact: Gabor collects novelty USB drives
Twitter: @gszauer

###

We’re ready to answer any and all of your questions about developing for our newest device – Oculus Go! Quick note that there is a slight delay on our forums. Please only submit your questions *once*.

128 REPLIES 128

la_reina
Protege
@FlorianVR13
Gabor: To find the ip of the device, do: adb shell ip route The number at the end is the IP. As far as a static IP, that's something you can configure in most routers (look for something like assign this device this local ip), there is nothing you need to do in the HMD.

robenghuse
Explorer
Hi, we are betting big-time on WebVR and Go is the perfect platform for the productivity tool we are building. I love Oculus Browser, but would like to see it more tied into the rest of the experiences. Specifically it would be great to add WebVR Apps to the Home screen or library. Meta tags could also supply a content artwork to make WebVR a first-class citizen on the platform.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a point of note the iOS app on iPhone X won’t allow logging in with and oculus account. Hangs. only Facebook works. 

aweidenhammer
Protege
Just a heads-up...
The introductory documentation on GO suggests you download and install an adb driver from oculus:
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/mobilesdk/latest/concepts/mobile-device-setup-go/

This is unstable and does not work (at least on my machine and several others)  Instead, there is other documentation for mobile that mentions installing a Samsung usb driver here:
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/mobilesdk/latest/concepts/mobile-studio-setup-android/

The samsung drivers work on Go for me flawlessly.

I suggest updating the Go docs to reflect the face that people are having issues with the Oculus driver, and also give the Samsung drivers a try.

Not really a question, just trying to help others out.

ki7a
Protege
Hi! I have a question, My app was rejected twice when I try to join a Promotion (50% off price), It was ok before, but now it's not accepting...

VRGEN
Honored Guest
I am with www.gamepill.com and www.vrgen.com and we are working on VR apps, and games for family and youth.  Sometimes the youth is under 12, what is the age limits on this device?

la_reina
Protege
@justiceinc
Gabor: There is no kiosk mode on Oculus Go or Gear VR, but it could be something we'll explore. If you haven't already, reach out to the Oculus for Business team, as they're actively exploring how to work with projects exactly like yours: https://www.oculusforbusiness.com/

la_reina
Protege
@iamcode23
Gabor: The Oculus Sample Framework provides some examples of VR interactions. A lot of these interactions are going to be applications specific and can be implemented in many ways, there is no single best solution. In terms of learning VR interactions, i believe the best way to learn anything is to just do it. Try implementing things like door knob interaction and see what happens. These interactions can be tricky with 3dof controllers, but you can design interactions in clever ways, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z1xYmJPhI4

la_reina
Protege
@a2puri
Gabor: The Rooms API + Avatar SDK already supports a lot of the core functionality you'd see in a virtual rooms set up, like friending. Our updated Avatars, with a more realistic look and under the hood perf improvements will release very soon. We're also hard at work on new tools to enforce community safety in these social situations, including an Abuse Prevention API. Things like whiteboarding and file sharing aren't necessarily on the roadmap but could be something we consider in the future. 

beep2bleep
Protege
As a person interested in having launch content for the Santa Cruz I've been developing for the Rift while trying to keep performance speedy.  I have a GS6 but no other Gear platforms to test against.  Would the performance of the Oculus Go be comparable to the Santa Cruz.  Are there any best practices you can give for developing for Go.  Do you have general batch numbers or draw call targets suggested for Oculus Go/Santa Cruz development?