cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go AMA panel

la_reina
Protege

Hi everyone! I’m Reina Shah and I currently manage Entertainment content at Oculus. Prior to joining Oculus, I spent 10 years in gaming- from financing FB and mobile game companies, to user acquisition for social and mobile titles, and most recently I managed BD for Unity’s Cloud Services division. 

Fun Fact: I’ve completed at least one hike in 46 different countries. 
Twitter: @reina_shah

###

Hello all! I’m Gabor Szauer, I'm a developer relations engineer at Oculus. I support developers targeting mobile platforms like Gear VR and Oculus Go. If you have technical or performance related questions, I’m the guy. In my spare time, I also make video games and have written several publications for game development.

Fun fact: Gabor collects novelty USB drives
Twitter: @gszauer

###

We’re ready to answer any and all of your questions about developing for our newest device – Oculus Go! Quick note that there is a slight delay on our forums. Please only submit your questions *once*.

128 REPLIES 128

la_reina
Protege
@oldbaytuna:

Reina: It's so new and we're really excited to see how it takes off with people who are new to VR. We saw from initial reviews that people really liked streaming capabilities and comfort of the device, so I'm interested in having content that makes use of those features (video content and more!).

Gabor: The superpower of Oculus Go is its price point. I'm excited to send one to relative who have not tried VR yet. And now that it's out in the wild, we're going to spend more time on bolstering the platform. This will include new kinds of dev tools for sharing and building social and multiplayer experiences. Apps like Oculus Rooms and Oculus Venues are our attempts at bringing people together, but we look forward to developers dreaming up new experiences we haven't even thought of. 

la_reina
Protege
@Neontop Gabor: UE4 works on Oculus Go today. Publishing a UE4 application for Oculus Go is the same process as publishing a UE4 application for Gear VR.

la_reina
Protege
@rossman22590
Gabor: There are already some applications that work across Oculus Go and Rift. The first game that comes to mind is Settlers Of Catan, which was demoed at GDC and is currently live.
Reina: Echoing what Gabor said, there is Settlers of Catan and Anshar Online. We've discussed some of these in our blog:
    1. https://www.oculus.com/blog/its-settled-catan-vr-available-now-on-rift-and-gear-vr/
    2. https://developer.oculus.com/blog/oculus-go-gdc-anshar-online-first-look/

la_reina
Protege
@ColdSpike

Gabor: Oculus Go has a fast switch LCD panel, which makes viewing videos much more enjoyable in my opinion. But all apps, including games look great! Most existing 3 DOF games work on Oculus Go, and i think there is a case to be made for 3 DOF games. I don't know if any existing video players support subtitles, but making an application that displays subtitles over a video being played would be fairly straight forward.

la_reina
Protege
@"amro.elansari"
Gabor: Hey Amro, sounds like you have some awesome stuff in the works. Consider looking into Oculus Start: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/introducing-oculus-start/

la_reina
Protege
@devPuppy
Gabor: First things first: not every Rift title will, or should, port over to Oculus Go. Bear in mind that 6DOF and 3DOF design paradigms are very different. So that aside, the biggest challenge for most games being ported from desktop to mobile tends to be draw calls. Enabling single pass stereo rendering halves those draw calls. You can also use batching (both static & dynamic) to reduce the number of draw calls. Some notes on settings for mobile vr applications: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/tech-note-unity-settings-for-mobile-vr/ and some notes on developing specifically for Oculus Go: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-to-develop-for-oculus-go/

la_reina
Protege
@Ihaverobots
Gabor: The short answer, you can't. For mobile, there is no instant play-button to HMD preview available, like there is with the Rift. Using an Oculus Go is very similar to using a Gear VR. You have to build an apk file, push it to device over adb and launch from there. 

Brainlogin
Protege
Will my Gear VR apps automatically be available for Go? I saw a notification recently that mentioned there would be testing to see if it works with Go but I'm not sure how to know the result...

oliver1111
Protege
When wifi oculus go come to uk retails Europe 

jakecantrell
Honored Guest
Hey Guys!  My question is similar to brianlas's question -- however we have already successfully gotten our builds over to the Go for testing - the process is just very cumbersome for small incremental changes to see how something works (build APK, Open Android Studio, Install/Run APK on headset) -- it takes 3-4 minutes total just to run and test a build.

Do you guys see a future where there could be a Unity plugin specific to the Oculus Go that would allow a more simple process?  Maybe even just contained within Unity, so that the APK loads from there?  Which really might be more of a Unity feature request!