cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing nausea

essence3d
Honored Guest
How do we cross the bridge from our human brain registering shaky cam mode during tense moments and stabilizing it completely so we let ourselves do it. Can anyone label the most nauseous experience available so I can try it so I know what not to do? So far I have chosen too wisely. I really want to find that spot of where not to go so when I create my in progresss demo.. I dont do that! 🙂

_best

Twinkles
9 REPLIES 9

Boardy1976
Honored Guest
the demo "Vrog" when you swallow a bad insect and get posioned. Not nausea inducing, but unplesent.

andywhiteley
Honored Guest
I'm getting used to the Oculus DK2 by going on it for 5, 10, 15 minutes etc.
At first it was really bad such as in the Tuscany Villa demo when you run upstairs, there was such a change in motion
that it made me feel queezy.
Half Life 2 also does this at times and I have come to the conclusion that any walking/running game will do this more than say the cockpit of Elite:Dangerous as your mind thinks you are running when you're not. Whereas in a cockpit you would be stationary within the spaceship anyway with the surrounding environment moving.

XswampyX
Honored Guest
There's a lot more to it than just the environment you are in.

Looking forward and expecting to go forward but going off to the side is one.
Getting a hot sweaty face is another. It just makes you feel like you are getting ill.
Confusion, like when a game says press 'Ctrl - alt - m' for the flash light and you can't see the keyboard.
Bad 'Z' order. When the hud is at a depth that is greater than the wall you are standing in front of, arrrgh!

cor5151
Honored Guest
The worst I've seen in my short time with my dk2 is in hl:2 when you hit a loading screen and the screen freezes and you look around and the whole screen moves but is still frozen... blah that made me sick, started closing my eyes when i hit them, but nerely a hour in hl:2 with mouse/kb was my limit.
This is most definitely the biggest problem with the rift, and will need to be over come by some trickery or we will just see a ton of cockpit games or couch potato's in vr.

ajocular
Honored Guest
Seems like a majority of the nausea cases on the Rift are from a disjunction between your visual position cues and your inner ear's sense of balance. That's why DK1 made a lot more people sick than DK2. The positional tracking keeps those two things in line as you sway from side to side.

Still, even on DK2 there's no way to safely simulate a change in g-force or air pressure as you change elevation. Your brain knows exactly what it feels like when your body moves a little higher or lower, and that feeling is missing when you change elevation in VR. That's why even people with strong stomachs often feel a little dizzy when climbing a flight of stairs or falling off a ledge.

Your subconscious assumes the inner ear/eye mismatch is being caused by something dangerous, and it attempts to induce vomit to warn you to stop what you're doing and rest. I've found that if I walk up and down the stairs in Tuscany over and over again, my brain adapts after about 15 seconds and the dizziness goes away.

Though it may be an annoying sensation when you're climbing stairs, I think it's actually great for falling off of ledges because it automatically creates a sense of panic and adrenaline that's similar to the feeling you'd get if you were actually falling.

cor5151
Honored Guest
have some idea's on this that i would need to test, was thinking like a old school racing game where it would seem as your staying still and objects are coming towards you, those games sucked, but might be wortha shot in vr. also have some idea's about how when you go through a car wash, should make a car wash demo. blah life is too tedious to worry about this haha.

JShepard
Explorer
Main nausea inducing factors are - unusual movement that brain is not used to and bad frames per second. For example when you move head left/right up/down if game screen doesn't move or if it moves too slow brain receives unusual signals and doesn't know how to interpret them which creates nausea. Low frames per second contribute to nausea inducing moments since they are interpreted by the brain which doesn't understand why the eye receives such a weird and unusual signal when head is moved. FOV and IDP are other factors that contribute to nausea since if they are not properly set brain is receiving unusual signals.

More about VR - In my opinion VR release candidate will have to come out with a very thorough test that each user will have to go through before VR is used on regular basis. You can't really have a universal configuration due to different individual position of eyes, eye sight differences etc. The show room in DK2 or configuration utility do some justice, but that is not enough. There has to be more thorough walkthrough to make experience as smooth and as positive to the brain as possible.

Game developers that create games with VR support will have to have similar thorough game-based walkthrough before player can play the game with VR on so that VR could be adjusted to game specifics. VorpX devs have a good start since driver already allows you to customize the experience in supported games especially the IDP part that differs from one game to another. VR is very new initiative in gaming market and there is no such thing yet as "VR Standard" for gaming. Until that standard is accepted by all the "VR wanna-be inventors" and the game developers across the gaming market accept "VR standard" as some kind of a 'law' all the VR devices will have to be highly customizable because they will have to be tuned to every user and every game separately.

I don't know if this is what Facebook wants to do but the best approach with VR and gaming would be if one company, preferably the inventor of specific VR device would establish specific grounds and create it's own gaming world. I like the way it is writted in a book called "Ready Player One". That is an ultimate approach to VR experience. Have your own VR device, your own console that has direct support for that VR device and your own games/virtual gaming world that is developed and based on the specifics of that VR device and that console.

k3ys3rch3r
Honored Guest
Hi Everyone,

I just received my DK2 and jumped right into a three hour session of war thunder (never played before). I noticed that nausea is very high at the beginning and gradually going away. However, I experienced nausea from time to time e.g. diring crazy prolonged dog fighting. I find it interesting that it has so little effect on me as I am usually the first to get seasick.

Cheers,

madhanuk
Honored Guest
I tried at a Friends Hous, DK1 , Unpleasant for 10 mins...Then its Great 🙂