cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arden's Wake - a new VR animated movie masterpiece!

RuneSR2
Level 16
8cuxrmdrkvqi.jpg

https://youtu.be/NtQyn7HPxZA

Made with the Rift CV1  B) 

https://youtu.be/7B4-EElTGRg

https://youtu.be/ff1Kv8e7Y8c

With VR movies like Gloomy Eyes, Wolves in the Walls and Crow The Legend it's hard to compete, but Arden's Wake stands tall on its own.
Note this is not a new movie, it's from 2018, and I have no idea why it has not been released before. This also means that the movie was made for oled hmds like Rift CV1. I tested the movie using Rift CV1 with super sampling (ss) cranked up to 2.0 with my GTX 1080, and I got solid 90 fps. The movie looks super-sharp and extremely much better using ss 2.0 than the super-blurry default ss 1.0. So remember to increase ss as high as possible! More info about the movie here:

https://vrscout.com/news/ardens-wake-tides-fall-vr-storytelling/#

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/21/15369470/ardens-wake-penrose-studios-vr-allumette

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/04/award-winning-actress-gets-cast-in-latest-penrose-studio-vr-piece/

This is an emotional ride - I did get touched more than once. Even if its a seated experience, you'll want to stand up a few times to take in everything. Btw, using Rift CV1, I did not notice the SDE, in fact the SDE may help making some low-res textures look much more high-res than if you're using lcd hmds like Rift-S or Quest 2. Using Rift CV1 most textures looked awesome and had great detail. Sounds, and Alicia Vikander's voice, are awesome too and further lift this experience. Vikander also starred in the lastest Tomb Raider movie:

5im5x5a60au7.jpg

t2w8oeb8gjao.jpg
Image result for tomb raider vikander movie

I think this animated movie and Gloomy Eyes are now my favorite VR animated movies (Crow and Wolves in the Walls were technically better, but more boring). If you haven't, you need to see this awesome movie! Only available in the Oculus Rift Store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1731009406957041/?ranking_trace=1943584525923090_17310094069...

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

8 REPLIES 8

RuneSR2
Level 16
Just tested the vid with Index, and you do not need oled for this one - the quality is great with lcd too. Even the darkest places looked fine with lcd. 

I could use Index res 200% with no problems, but res 150% would be needed with my GTX to avoid any motion smoothing by keeping a constant 90 fps. 

A few textures look slightly more low-res than with CV1 ss 2.0, but textures still look great. But do not expect Alyx texture quality in this vid 😉

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

MowTin
Level 11
Can I watch it on the Quest 2? 
i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Nunyabinez
Level 8

RuneSR2 said:

Just tested the vid with Index, and you do not need oled for this one - the quality is great with lcd too. Even the darkest places looked fine with lcd. 

I could use Index res 200% with no problems, but res 150% would be needed with my GTX to avoid any motion smoothing by keeping a constant 90 fps. 

A few textures look slightly more low-res than with CV1 ss 2.0, but textures still look great. But do not expect Alyx texture quality in this vid 😉

I saw your review on the Oculus site as well. I was like hey, I know that guy!

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

RuneSR2
Level 16

MowTin said:

Can I watch it on the Quest 2? 

Of course - using PCVR. Works fine with Revive too.

TomCgcmfc
Level 15

I just bought this from the Steam store for ~aud$11.  Looks very nice with my Vive Pro but objects at a distance seem a little blurry, even with SteamVR SS at 200%.  This actually looked better with my Rift cv1 and 2.20x SS.  To start up on both headsets I needed to either press a thumbstick or any keyboard key.  Also wish there was a command to skip the startup titles/credits. 

I'll give this a go later with my Q1 wireless w/VD and report back  I think wireless will be better so I can swivel my chair around to take in all the 360 deg video without worrying about cables. Still, a very nice experience imho.

EDIT:  Works ok with my Q1 wireless w/VD but darkish underwater has typical colour banding and compression artifacts that I have noticed on a few apps, fortunately not too many.  So no go.  Proof again that it's hard to beat dedicated pcvr headsets imho.

So overall my vote for the best headset with this app is my good old Rift cv1 at 2.20x SS.  Cheers.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, Corsair 1000w. Rift cv1, Quest 1, Vive Pro.

The movie was made in 2018, so surely it was made using the CV1 (or Vive). Still interesting that you liked CV1 more than Vive Pro - now I have to be extra careful not dropping or breaking my invaluable CV1 🤓

Sound may also be a factor for choosing CV1, because only using the CV1 you get sound and music exactly like the devs indented (Index did sound better for the voices though, but Index is very hard to beat above let's say 1,000 Hz as the Index speakers provide an extreme amount of fidelity and clarity, while CV1 primarily has the bass).

Btw - fun thing, in NAAU I noticed that the voice in the intro nearly had too much bass using CV1 - but sounded perfectly using the Index. Seems to me that the devs may have added bass to make Index (or piped-audio) sound right/better - but now you've got slightly too much bass with the CV1.  

TomCgcmfc
Level 15

Actually I did not find the Bass too much with my cv1.  Maybe due to my old ears?  Also, maybe check your Rift sound control panel and make sure you don't have bass boost (or any other enhancements).  Also, I still use the very old recommendation and on the advanced tab I set it to 2 channel 16bit 44100 Hz (cd quality).  I remember Cyber suggesting we do this (and avoid enhancements) a long time ago to avoid distortion and the odd pop in some games.

I also saw a guy post on the discussions that he noticed the same blurry thing and increasing SteamVR to 150% did not make much difference.  I'm not sure if he was using a Vive or Index headset?  Did you notice much difference in the clarity of distant objects between your cv1 and Index?  In any case it's nice to see my oled cv1 beat my higher res oled Vive Pro once in a while, lol!

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, Corsair 1000w. Rift cv1, Quest 1, Vive Pro.

Note that the thing with slightly too much CV1 bass was only in NAAU: The Lost Eye - not in Arden's Wake. 

I did think that I could better see distant objects with Index, like the young man in the boat arriving in the start of the movie. But CV1 SDE did make some low-res textures look slightly better and more high-res.