cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automobilista 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey gang,
So the other day I decided I wanted to get back in racing sims. Has been many years for me, and I wanted to check it out in VR. 
So I purchased a Logitech G29 wheel setup, and also purchased this recently released Automobilista 2.

I am having a blast this. It is gorgeous in VR and has a wide selection of both cars and tracks. I am currently cutting my teeth with the Formula V10
running practice laps until I can get decent enough I feel I could take on the AI.

I had never heard of this one, thought I would drop it here for others that might be interested. Appears to be pretty hard core racing sim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=JVg1ftqwd20&feature=emb_logo

30 REPLIES 30

lensmandave
Superstar
Yeah, it's brilliant! I bought it just before it came out of public beta, swiftly followed by a big spend on a wheel, pedals and a gear shift. I subsequently built a wind fan array that takes telemetry from the sim and gives a nice cooling blast to me and the Rift according to track speed 🙂
As Don says, it's beautiful in VR with solid maxed out frame rates.
I'll look out for you in the time trial leader boards Don! I'm lensman45
Dave
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, it's brilliant! I bought it just before it came out of public beta, swiftly followed by a big spend on a wheel, pedals and a gear shift. I subsequently built a wind fan array that takes telemetry from the sim and gives a nice cooling blast to me and the Rift according to track speed 🙂
As Don says, it's beautiful in VR with solid maxed out frame rates.
I'll look out for you in the time trial leader boards Don! I'm lensman45
Dave

Lol may be a bit before I can get a handle on it, but am working hard at it.
Btw I ordered the shifter for my G29 today.
Now looking at a Wheel Stand Pro augh.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Does it have Multiplayer and do the cars have realistic handling? If it does have Multiplayer are many people playing it? I must admit it does look good.

Edit: Just watched some YouTube video's on this and it looks nice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

Does it have Multiplayer and do the cars have realistic handling? If it does have Multiplayer are many people playing it? I must admit it does look good.

Edit: Just watched some YouTube video's on this and it looks nice.

Yes it has Multiplayer. I intend to only do single player at this time, so cannot comment on how it is.
There seems to be several on their forums that are into MP though.

Don't know if I can be a good authority on realistic handling, so far I have only been practicing with the Formula V10 and having a blast with it. There certainly is no lack of settings one can do that is for sure. 
One thing I really liked is it recognized my G29 setup and assigned settings pretty good to it right out the chute.
I spent about 4 hours with it today and finally ran a race. Got my butt handed to me but it was a blast.
Performance in VR is excellent, I do have a fairly beefy rig though.

Oh and it does have native Oculus support, even though a Steam game do not have to use Steam VR which is nice.

lensmandave
Superstar
Yep it has Multiplayer but it's a tad quiet. I guess because it's early days, not a lot of folk are playing on line 'cos not a lot of folk are playing on line  😄

I'm pretty new to sim racing so can't speak with authority on the car handling but I'm following a number of the 'pro' racers on youtube and a number of them are increasingly praising the physics of the sim as the devs keep updating.
The devs seem very responsive to users and there is an exciting roadmap of features, tracks and cars:
https://www.game-automobilista2.com/?fbclid=IwAR1KVA4eiN0bZSWuew3niHOWCawFDBXlIrSLHKilNoViiOOR6ERbg7...
Dave
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I think the game just officially released around the first of the month.
Many, many years ago I used to be quite heavily involved in sim racing. This goes back to the Papyrus Nascar Racing days. Originally we were running on dial up lol. Ran a large league where we would have three separate races going on Sunday afternoons.
I mean I was practicing hard, every evening after getting home from work, then at least a few hours on Saturday.

Now I am just going to do the single player thing, and have fun. Looks like this sim will shine pretty good in single player.  I am too old now to keep up with the younger guys for that competitive online racing.

YoLolo69
Trustee
I own it from April and had a blast with it. I had to stop from July as I can wear the headset due to hot temp in my room, and wait fresher days to launch it again. This is one of the best VR implementation I know. I can handle 90fps all time with my CV1 and my old machine. It's crisp (the xml sharpening trick helped like in pcars) and fluid, and coming from rFactor 2 I can say it have very good physic and FFB. I have T500RS wheel with its gears and pedals, full immersion 🙂
I'm glad more and more people discover it, it's a good devs team too!

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

lensmandave
Superstar

YoLolo69 said:

I own it from April and had a blast with it. I had to stop from July as I can wear the headset due to hot temp in my room, and wait fresher days to launch it again. This is one of the best VR implementation I know. I can handle 90fps all time with my CV1 and my old machine. It's crisp (the xml sharpening trick helped like in pcars) and fluid, and coming from rFactor 2 I can say it have very good physic and FFB. I have T500RS wheel with its gears and pedals, full immersion 🙂

Too hot?
You should do what I did  ::smile:
90h3ipzapfe3.jpg

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

YoLolo69 said:

Too hot?
You should do what I did  ::smile:
90h3ipzapfe3.jpg

How did you set this up to have wind blowing on you depending on the speed of the cars?