cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Flying Game For VR w/controller?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I know someone already made a thread about best flying game for "daddy" but what about most practical flying game. I've just downloaded DCS World for the Vive and FFS what a load of croc (even if it appears to be a cool game for free). Press Alt L to start Power, Press L CTRL Home to power up engine. Yadda yadda. It makes Elite Dangerous feel like it's for babies.  Actually, I like Elite Dangerous' look and select options. To me it seems intuitive and not needing a Keyboard (which you can't see) as well.  Elite also allows you to customize the control pad with combos such as D-Pad Left and A button to give it more options. I couldn't do that in DCS.

Are there any reccomended flying games that can easily use a 360/Xbox One controller without the need for having a keyboard (which you can't see) on your lap or fancy flight sticks which I'm not going to invest in? Once I was airborne in DCS it felt pretty good even if I had limited movement.

Thanks.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
34 REPLIES 34

STUJAMR
Protege
Map DCS to your joystick/controller? I did.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
(Fly inside) FSX? Or warthunder perhaps
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar

I can't recommend FSX with Flyinside enough.  Hands down one of the best VR experiences to date.  FSX is usually very cheap on Steam, especially when it goes on sale (which is fairly often).  I would say the controls are about the same as Elite as far as how many there are.

DCS is crazy with the amount of config.  I have a few different aircraft purchased and you have to set each one individually, which can take quite a while.  I can't believe they don't have more defaults that work across all aircraft.

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Holy Crap - Flight Sim X on Steam with all DLC costs £1,414.01 What is Flyinside?

Edit - I see it was a KS VR plugin. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Got to the Flyinside home page and have a look, you might just be impressed.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Definitely War Thunder.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
OK thanks I will give it a try at some point. 

SickleFoot
Protege
FSX= Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Flyinside= Some 3rd party add on if that you a load of features including Rift support? So would need to use Revive injector or no?

While we are on topic, I have managed to get War Thunder running but it seems like there are some issues:

- I don't think it seats you correctly, it seems I am behind the seat and can actually see the seat I think it should be positioning you in VR.

- It seems there are some display issues, because the map and compass etc are spread way outside your field of view.

Any ideas?

Ps. You can buy a FSX Steam cd keys on the cheap:

http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-flight-simulator-x-cd-key-compare-prices/

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I was going to DL that but went with DCS instead. I assume you're recommending it because it's easy to play with a controller? Is there a free flight or campaign mode so you don't have to fight with other players?