cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying games from the oculus store on the PC and Quest 2?

pyroman832
Honored Guest
So I am new to the VR thing and just got the quest 2. I downloaded the PC oculus app and bought my first game, Beat Saber...had my quest connected to my computer and played it just fine. When I disconnected it from the computer and tried to play it with just the quest by itself it showed that I had to buy the game again on the headset. Are the stores and account not linked or do you have to just buy the game twice if you want to run it on both PC and Quest when its disconnected.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
You need to do some research on games before you purchase them. Many games are cross-buy, meaning if you buy the Rift version you get the Quest version. However, some games require an extensive re-write to port them the Quest.

When companies spend a lot of resources porting to Quest, they may decide that they need compensation for bringing it to a different platform. Beat Saber requires you to purchase on each of the two platforms. However, song packs are shared, so if you buy the Linkin Park pack, for example, you only have to buy it once. 

Here is a semi-hidden page that show which games are cross-buy. https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590/#/?_k=u1kzdb

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Creypaper
Honored Guest
I am in the same boat kinda. I have the Rift S and just got the O2 today. I had to repurchase games I already own and I couldn't connect to my steam account either.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
You need to do some research on games before you purchase them. Many games are cross-buy, meaning if you buy the Rift version you get the Quest version. However, some games require an extensive re-write to port them the Quest.

When companies spend a lot of resources porting to Quest, they may decide that they need compensation for bringing it to a different platform. Beat Saber requires you to purchase on each of the two platforms. However, song packs are shared, so if you buy the Linkin Park pack, for example, you only have to buy it once. 

Here is a semi-hidden page that show which games are cross-buy. https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590/#/?_k=u1kzdb

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

LtSittingDuck
Honored Guest
I just got a Quest 2 and while I am impressed with the hardware the software licensing for games is disappointing. I too bought a Quest 2 game via the oculus app on my PC, thinking I could play it with Oculus link or move it to my headset for when I can't use my PC. Apparently not. You only have a license for your PC, not your headset, despite both being registered to the same account. You have to buy the same game again for your headset. 

My guess is that game licenses have not caught up to the excellent capabilities of the Quest 2. Being able to run complex VR games on your via Oculus Link or more basic but still good VR games only on your headset is a game-changer.

Perhaps Oculus/developers can innovate on the licenses as well...

It's not really a question of licencing catching up, it's more a question of whether a developer wants to be paid for the work they've done to create the two versions of the app... or whether they've decided that a single payment provides a sustainable business model.

It no doubt changes from title to title, depending on the amount of optimisation or customisation they have to do to get a PC title to be run acceptably on a mobile platform... or how much they can add to the mobile version to satisfy the PCVR player, either way, there's work involved.

I'm just greatful when Rift titles I bought find their way to Quest on cross-buy, but I don't take it for granted. Just as good is when something like Wolves in the Walls, turns up on my Quest for free, amazing little experience if anyone hasn't tried it yet.

Grumpy_Wolf
Explorer
similar question. I just bought a quest 2, bought vader immortal on the oculus pc store. How am I supposed to play it from the pc though? I can play it on the headset fine, but I would rather play the pc verstion. If I try to hit the play button on the pc it just makes the screen go black and nothing happens on the quest 2. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

similar question. I just bought a quest 2, bought vader immortal on the oculus pc store. How am I supposed to play it from the pc though? I can play it on the headset fine, but I would rather play the pc verstion. If I try to hit the play button on the pc it just makes the screen go black and nothing happens on the quest 2. 

To play pc vader immortal on a quest 2 requires one of the following:
- link cable
- quest version of virtual desktop plus the virtual desktop, pc version of virtual desktop streamer app, good 5GHz router (virtual desktop uses wifi)

There's pros and cons to either technique (only need one, not both). The cable is easier, but short range and most likely more expensive (the official link cable is vastly more expensive than virtual desktop, but cheap cables may work too).

Once you have one of them working, all PC VR games from oculus or steamvr should work on the Quest 2.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Rhener
Honored Guest
Sorry just to be clear... All the games that I buy on my Quest 2 oculus without a PC will be installed on the glasses memory? All the games showing in the glass store don't need a PC. Right?

SpottiChen
Protege
Already bought it.

qw0w0pkmbtb3.png
I think the Oculus Quest 2 is the best VR headset for most people, thanks to its ease of use and the ability to connect to a gaming PC to be used to play a wider library of more demanding games. There is one caveat in that you need to have a Facebook account to properly use it. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

Rhener said:

Sorry just to be clear... All the games that I buy on my Quest 2 oculus without a PC will be installed on the glasses memory? All the games showing in the glass store don't need a PC. Right?

Oops, missed your post.
Yep, anything you buy from the store in the Quest 2 itself (the in-vr one) are specifically for the Quest and will be installed onto the Quest's memory. They don't need a PC.
Same for the Go and Rift, if you use the store in the headset, you are guaranteed to get the version native to that headset.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2