cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking 6 when playing IL2 Strumovik: Battle of Stalingrad

Metabo4
Level 2
I would love to use my Oculus rift while playing IL-2 BoS but to play in multiplayer I need to be able to check my 6. I'm 70 years old and I can't twist my neck around enough to see behind me. If I use a swivel chair, I can check my 6 but I have to take my feet off the rudder pedals and my hands off the joysticks.

When I use Track-IR 5 I can see behind myself just fine because it's not 1:1 movement. I want to keep the 1:1 movement in Rift but I would love to be able to use a button on my joy stick to change my default forward center view to a rear centered view and then be able to look around while in that view the same as I do in the forward view.

I've talked to younger players that have tried rift in this game and they have the same problem checking 6, so it's just not a geriatric problem. I use standard joysticks and rudder pedals and that's what the IL-2 BoS game is set up to recognize. I love the immersion that VR provides in flight sims. I would use my Oculus Rift in this game if I could just check my 6.

Does anyone know of a way to 'check 6' while in VR in this game? I would even pay good money for an app that would allow me to change from forward view to rear view with a click of a button on my joystick.

Cheers to all the flight simers out there. 
11 REPLIES 11

lensmandave
Level 9
Have a 'centre VR view' button mapped to your joystick. When you want to check 6, turn your head to the left, click centre view, move head to the right and you'll be looking over your shoulder. Click again to return to forward view. 
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB. CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER. NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE. SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive. Windows 10  64bit Professional

MowTin
Level 11

Have a 'centre VR view' button mapped to your joystick. When you want to check 6, turn your head to the left, click centre view, move head to the right and you'll be looking over your shoulder. Click again to return to forward view. 

Interesting. I never heard of that. It seems like it would be annoying to have to do that every time. 
I use a swivel chair and just twist around. It's not ideal. And if you're using rudders it wouldn't work well. 

I don't know why they don't just give us a button we can map. 
i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index

JohnnyDioxin
Level 11
My neck is well shagged and I fly IL-2 all the time in VR - it's been my go-to sim for the last few months. I've been in lots of dogfights and never been shot down - I use the mirrors to keep an eye on my rear. Move around a bit to cover more of an area and if you have even the slightest suspicion that a nasty sod is there, take appropriate action. Better safe than sorry.

edit: You may have to choose to have the mirror fitted from the modding UI and some don't have one - fortunately most of the aircraft I fly, do. For those that don't I have used side-slip to look behind. I never use the external views in that sim except for screenshots.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

dburne
Level 16
Yeah try to fly planes with mirrors. The two I mainly fly currently are the Spit ( both mk V and mkIX) and the P-51 , and occasionally the P-47. All have mirrors.

There is also a mod over on the IL-2 forums that allow one to increase the movement to check six.
I have not tried it as I prefer to not use mods. I like to think I have the same restrictions and difficulty in doing so as a real pilot did.  Judicious use of the mirror and flying pattern to keep a check on six is how I prefer.
Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

Metabo4
Level 2
Well, looks like my post was totally useless on this subject.

dburne
Level 16

Metabo4 said:

Well I told you how I deal with it and also pointed you to a Mod that would allow you to check your six more easily in VR.
Here is the direct link if you are interested:
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/58417-how-to-add-rotation-angle-to-check-your-six-in-vr/

I though this is what you might be asking for, but maybe not.

Note I myself do not use it, as I prefer it the way it is. And I spend many hours a week in the sim.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

lensmandave
Level 9

Metabo4 said:

Well, my turn click method does the trick. Get some muscle memory for the manoeuver and it's quick and easy.
BTW I've got 6 years on your good self  😉
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB. CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER. NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE. SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive. Windows 10  64bit Professional

StoogeUK
Level 2

Metabo4 said:

I would love to use my Oculus rift while playing IL-2 BoS but to play in multiplayer I need to be able to check my 6. I'm 70 years old and I can't twist my neck around enough to see behind me. If I use a swivel chair, I can check my 6 but I have to take my feet off the rudder pedals and my hands off the joysticks.

When I use Track-IR 5 I can see behind myself just fine because it's not 1:1 movement. I want to keep the 1:1 movement in Rift but I would love to be able to use a button on my joy stick to change my default forward center view to a rear centered view and then be able to look around while in that view the same as I do in the forward view.

I've talked to younger players that have tried rift in this game and they have the same problem checking 6, so it's just not a geriatric problem. I use standard joysticks and rudder pedals and that's what the IL-2 BoS game is set up to recognize. I love the immersion that VR provides in flight sims. I would use my Oculus Rift in this game if I could just check my 6.

Does anyone know of a way to 'check 6' while in VR in this game? I would even pay good money for an app that would allow me to change from forward view to rear view with a click of a button on my joystick.

Cheers to all the flight simers out there. 

Can't post a link as I am new on this forum. Go onto the IL-2 Forums (a quick google will take you there) and look for the 'Hardware, software and controllers' section. Within that you will find the 'Virtual Reality and VR Controllers' section. One of the top pinned posts is called 'A simple tool to check your six'     <<< A little late to the party, this is exactly what you are after.

This allows you to either bind buttons to give you a snap view to the degree of your choice, 180' if you so please to look straight behind. Also has an auto rotate option that automatically snaps the view when you turn your head a certain degree, again of your choice. 

Fully compatible with Multiplayer.

Have fun and keep on flyin'

MowTin
Level 11
@StoogeUK Thanks for the tip! That's always been a major annoyance. Out of nowhere, I get gunned down from behind. 
i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index