cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chronos really is so damn good! (Just completed the "first" area)

AnotherCrazyCan
Adventurer
I decided before playing Chronos for the Rift, I'd play "lesser" games to get a better feel for my new and shiny (actually matte) headset. Reviews were all good and I was kind of eager but didn't want to force myself into it just yet. Now that I have and got some distance (and a great scare last night) I wanted to give another opinion on it.

Chronos is good. Damn good. This game has made me fear death all over again and makes me prepare and slowly approach each and every enemy, no matter how small. Your health is limited for each "life", and your only way to restore health is by using a health container you rarely find that only recharge upon your death (brilliant and brutal concept). This makes you contemplate restoring all health or gambling on taking another couple hits. I have died three times due to this, once with two full containers.
(I have also died twice due to falling off edges, but I believe that was due to my own fault and not the game creators.)

Combat feels just right. I'm playing an agility based build and I just love how well everything works. Dodging doesn't guarantee you evade the attack if you don't time it right, OR if the enemy swings twice or more, and you can't just block your way to victory as depending on the monster and their attacks, they can break through your defense and leave you stumbled. Haven't gotten any new swords yet, just strength based weapons. Perhaps because it's a strength based area? Either way, each weapon handles differently and even the shields change too. Love every bit of it. Again, the health potion idea is fantastic and really keeps you on edge.
Combat isn't hard, per say, but it'll rip you to shreds if you don't learn to take your time, and there's been more than a few times I thought I could catch him off guard and got punished for it. Every time I got hit I always felt grief because I knew "whelp, that's gonna make things harder down the line". I can't remember the last time a game did that to me.

I'm actually very impressed with how the camera and oculus plays a part in it. People were very right when they say that it doesn't exactly need to be in VR, but it just works so well it's hard to imagine without. Even if converted to work non-VR, it would just miss that layer of gameplay and immersion, in my opinion.
Is the Oculus nessesary? No, but pretty darn close.

One more thing that got me good, is that there is no pause system, just a menu. Last night I had someone come say good night to me, and I was being chased by one of those fast little buggers, and low on health. Like, 50/650 health. I ran to the next room and hit the menu to say good night back, and when I looked back at the screen I legitamently yelped in fear and shook real hard and I mashed the B button to dodge and keep running. Totally forgot there is no pause, unless you take off the headset. Again, the game made me fear death, and I haven't had a jolt like that in a long time. I love it when games can do that to me.

I can't really give a rating because I'm only a bit in, but I'd give it a solid 9/10. Absolutely my favourite game on the Rift right now.
Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?
40 REPLIES 40

cybereality
Grand Champion
Nice. I definitely did the same thing, trying to save my health for the last minute and then dying with 2 full hearts. The game is intense at times but really fun.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

benplace
Rising Star
I am currently stuck but I am not the type of person that will look online for help I would rather figure it out myself. So far its a great game. (I just got past to the library, I haven't played it much)

jayhawk
Superstar
I was very impressed with the game myself. In some ways I thought the combat was better than Dark Souls (what the game is loosely modeled after IMO), particularly the dodging. It felt more fluid and natural than the 'roll' you do in Dark Souls. My weapon of choice ended up being the spear. Also my favorite VR game so far.

GenetixStudio
Superstar
Great read. I've been so damn ignorant about picking Chronos up. I was very close during the sale, but had a lot of other games to work through. The next time it goes on sale it is a must buy for me.

AnotherCrazyCan
Adventurer

benplace said:

I am currently stuck but I am not the type of person that will look online for help I would rather figure it out myself. So far its a great game. (I just got past to the library, I haven't played it much)

Library in the beginning? With that book that talks about the spike ring?

AnotherCrazyCan
Adventurer

Great read. I've been so damn ignorant about picking Chronos up. I was very close during the sale, but had a lot of other games to work through. The next time it goes on sale it is a must buy for me.

It really is fantastic, but you have to be the type of guy that likes good sword combat. If you're an FPS sort of guy then it probably won't be what you like, but if you like the Legend of Zelda games it's much, MUCH better in terms of combat. Probably my favourite when it comes to that style of fighting.

It is a matter of opinion, but I cannot recommend it enough for the Rift.

AnotherCrazyCan
Adventurer

Nice. I definitely did the same thing, trying to save my health for the last minute and then dying with 2 full hearts. The game is intense at times but really fun.

It really makes you contemplate healing now or risking it for later. Fantastic idea, and makes every hit count.

GunfireGames
Protege
Thanks for all the kind words folks. Glad you are enjoying the game. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The boss battles in Chronos were as impactual to me, as a gamer, on par with the memories of fighting Chaos in the first Final Fantasy, and Metroid's Mother Brain.