cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deep Down in Space (FREE random sic-fi horror)

Bravo64
Honored Guest
:shock: :shock: :shock: HOLY CRAP :shock: :shock: :shock:... SOMEONE PUT MY GAME ON THE GAME JOLT HOMEPAGE. HOW IS THIS POSSI-BLE. 😮 :shock: 😮 :shock: 😮 :lol: Thanks everyone for your support!!! 😄

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 2.20.26 PM.png

Also, David Whelan made a review with his wife. It's really well made so you should check that out too!

DeepDownInSpaceScreenShot_1.png

DeepDownInSpaceScreenShot_2.png

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: ***If you enjoy this game, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONATE to my Paypal so that I can afford Unity!!!***

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=4AFBRQNNQTG3N

Non-Oculus version also available.

After dealing with the harassment over how bad my last game was for the past week, I’ve decided to just go ahead and come back for another round of harassment (Oh the joy)! Lets hope this one isn’t a steaming pile of crap…This new game I’ve created is a randomly generated sci-fi horror game called Deep Down In Space. In the game, you play as the last survivor of a ship infected with an alien virus that is on autopilot to return to earth. Your mission is to overload the main reactor core and then leave in the escape pod before the ship explodes. However, before you can access the main reactor core, you must activate 7 circuits found throughout the ship. Please let me know if you find any bugs.

All models used in the game were created from scratch by me.

All sound effects used in the game were created using either GarageBand instruments, or just me and my brother with my laptop microphone making fools of ourselves.

Have fun and let the harassment BEGIN!!!

MediaFire Download : https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nom4q7yi2gzw6/Deep_Down_In_Space

Mega Download : https://mega.co.nz/#F!8hZRzJZJ!cZDxKnKDvNutH_aX5E6rdw

Oculus Share Download : https://share.oculus.com/app/deep-down-in-space

Game Jolt Download : http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/deep-down-in-space/24482/
48 REPLIES 48

Bravo64
Honored Guest
"DarrenM" wrote:
"drash" wrote:
I first tried this out with a 360 controller, but the turn-rate is far too slow compared to the speedier control you get with the mouse + keyboard. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

I had the same problem, but after giving up on the 360 controller I found my mouse was slow to turn as well. I'll have to experiment to see if I can get around that problem because the game looks very promising.

Kudos on the neck model. Not enough demos have it.

I actually changed the turn speed to be 1/3 of the default oculus character controller speed because people that I let try the game complained that the turn was way too fast (I let them try it on a my mouse and on my mousepad). I might have to change it back if this is really a problem.
Thanks for your comment!

DarrenM
Explorer
I have to do multiple swipes with my mouse to turn corners or turn around which gets pretty annoying. I got killed by one of the baddies because I couldn't turn fast enough to navigate the corridors. Maybe you could do an options screen or config file with axis sensitivity? Most FPS games have sensitivity settings.

Bravo64
Honored Guest
"DarrenM" wrote:
I have to do multiple swipes with my mouse to turn corners or turn around which gets pretty annoying. I got killed by one of the baddies because I couldn't turn fast enough to navigate the corridors. Maybe you could do an options screen or config file with axis sensitivity? Most FPS games have sensitivity settings.

I have no idea how to do this but I will look into it. I have a feeling it won't be easy because I'm using two different character controllers. One for Oculus users and one for people playing on there monitor, and each using a different programming language. Please let me know if you know of any special simple ways to change turn sensitivity for both at the same time. Can this be done in the popup window before the game starts or does it have to be done within the game?
Also, I was wondering if changing the sensitivity on your mouse in the operating system has any effect on the turn speed in the game.
I'm kind of unsure why the turning is so slow because if you do the math, 1/3 of the average turn speed does not seem as slow as you are describing. I'm not sure what is happening but I hope I can find a fix soon!

Bravo64
Honored Guest
"WhelanWeb" wrote:
"trans321" wrote:
"WhelanWeb" wrote:
Hi All

Great to be back. Uploaded a new review last night

Our review score can be found here http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com/DEMO-detail/deep-space/

I'm probably going to sound like an idiot for saying, but I'm a little scared to watch this after how upset Mark's review made me. Can you give me a hint as to if the person reviewing liked it (I'm pretty sure the person speaking in the video isn't you, Dave). I have a really bad habit of taking strong criticism a little personally. Please don't laugh. :lol:
Oh, and thanks again for the trial. None of this would have been possible without your help! Your awesome! 😄 😄

I liked it. It did totally scare the crap out of me with the Jump Scare
when you die

That's my wife reading out my review as she sounds 1000 times better then me.

The score we gave the game can be seen here http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com/DEMO-detail/deep-space/

It shows a lot of promise and with some more tweaks it could be really good.

Overall we gave it a 2.5 out of 5

Graphics are great on the corridor's and the lighting effects are good. The creature could do with a bit of work and also the sound design could do with a bit of tweaking as you have no way of knowing how close you are to the creature as its hard to know which noise it's making against the random background noises of the game.

Also the game maps are so difficult to follow but that's the joys of a random map.

Overall a great attempt and I hope you build on this as it could be a great game.

No problem on giving you my trial of Unity as I wasn't going to use it anyway. Hope people donate some money to you so you can purchase a full version as you have some unique game design idea's
again the face on the ghost when you die is probably the most frighting thing I've seen so far in VR

I'd suggest you contact Mark directly on youtube and tell him your the developer of Bleached Eyeballs and tell him about your follow up game and hopefully he might give it a go. He got over 600k views on your last game and theirs really no such thing as bad publicity.

I'm positive he will like your latest game a lot more as its quite a lot better.

If you keep making the same amount of progress in each game you develop you'll have a master piece in no time.

Just remember me when your Rich and Famous 😉

O, and I'll also donate something towards your Full Unity license shortly.

Thanks for the summary. Your wife did a great job on the voiceover!
I'm glad I got the score I did but I hope I can do a lot better in the future. Making games takes a lot of time and effort, not to mention creativity, and I just hope I can get to the point where I can make something that really stands out. I'm gonna need a lot more practice!
Oh, and about Markiplier, I've tried talking to him before but he's too busy to listen, which I'm fine with.
Thanks again and I won't forget you, even though it probably won't make a difference because I'm not sure I'll make it that far, but it's nice to hope! 🙂

Edit : The maps aren't really impossible to read, they just take a little practice (I guess :? ). You just have to look at the locked doors, as well as the maps and circuits (showing up as green on the map), and find out where you are relative to those landmarks. I've done it a lot so it's pretty easy for me, but I understand why it would be really hard to read for most people. I guess I wanted to try something different from Dreadhalls where instead of knowing exactly where you are and revealing a little of the map as you go, I made it so you get all of the map but must figure out where you are. That may or may not have been a good idea, but oh well. :roll:

camerond93
Honored Guest
So urhm, I have never recorded myself playing a game before and made the disastrous decision to start with VR Horror on a friend's channel. :lol:

It isn't very coherent and doesn't really provide anything of use - and is anything but informative - but I was feeling very uncomfortable and ended up very flustered after something happened and the generated map was very random haha. Nevertheless, I'll do more because I want to play more of this and try and conquer my fear!

Wonderful job trans321. Brilliant. 😄

Warning: Contains a scare you may wish to keep a surprise if you haven't played the game

Bravo64
Honored Guest
"camerond93" wrote:
So urhm, I have never recorded myself playing a game before and made the disastrous decision to start with VR Horror on a friend's channel. :lol:

It isn't very coherent and doesn't really provide anything of use - and is anything but informative - but I was feeling very uncomfortable and ended up very flustered after something happened and the generated map was very random haha. Nevertheless, I'll do more because I want to play more of this and try and conquer my fear!

Wonderful job trans321. Brilliant. 😄

Warning: Contains a scare you may wish to keep a surprise if you haven't played the game

Cool video. Sorry if the map was confusing but I guess that's kind of the way it is with randomly generated content. You did a very good job though for your first horror game. I would have given up a lot earlier. I was wondering though, did you ever find the monster?
I made it so the monsters are always placed at the conners of the map, so it can take a little searching to find them.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to make this video! 😄

dwood15
Protege
Can you do a "you are here!" on each of the maps jsut highlighting one of the sections?

Bravo64
Honored Guest
"dwood15" wrote:
Can you do a "you are here!" on each of the maps jsut highlighting one of the sections?

I'm not exactly sure how to do this because every map is in a different place and all of them show the exact same map texture. Also, I made it so the map texture is updated at the beginning of the game and when the map is finished being created, the camera making the map texture turns off and is never used again because I found that leaving it on really slowed things down.
I'm sure there is probably a way to show a "you are here" sign on each individual map but I have no idea how. If anybody knows, please tell me.
In the mean time, it might help you to know that the individual map placements are green on the map, but you probably have figured that out already.
Thanks for your comment!

WhelanWeb
Honored Guest
Deep Down In Space has made it onto my top 6 list of jump scares below

Warning: Do not watch the movie below if you have not played this game yet as it contains spoilers.

Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site. http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com

Nukemarine
Rising Star
Just some initial impressions:

1. The wall of text is too big. I recommend just to remove it and put the story portion as part of the beginning of the game that can be played or skipped. Basically the locked rooms can now be rooms that either explain controls or the story. On play throughs after that, users can opt out of the tutorials by just not going in those room (so don't make it mandatory).

2. Remove the map stuck to the face at the beginning. Just have it as a monitor on the wall of the elevator.

3. The turning for the controller: Consider catching up on "Comfort mode" that the Gallery guys have hit upon. Instead of smooth turning, the controller tuns you in 45 degree increments at a fast but constant speed (so not instant turning). Others testing this mention it works well.

4. I could not get run to work on the controller.

5. I don't know how easy the game will turn out, but if it's hard for the sake of being hard consider a save option of sort such as after a circuit is activated. In that mode, instead of a death jump scare, perhaps it's a man or woman's face saying something in a conversation. Each time you die, you hear other parts of their conversation so this could be a method to reveal a sub-plot. You wake up at the last circuit (monsters are placed far away again to prevent respawn kills).