cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom VFR works perfectly on the Rifts and Quests - no controller modifications needed!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Due to bad reviews I waited months before I finally bought this game. I don't think that reviews older than January 30 2018 represent this game anymore - Doom VFR is much improved due to full locomotion support and more. Actually, next to Lone Echo I'm trying hard to think of a better VR game than Doom VFR - and I can't!

8rgtrcwna3ob.jpg

I'm using Oculus Rift, I'm forcing super-sampling 2.0 on everything (thanks Oculus Tray Tool) and due to compatibility with some older games I'm still using Forceware 385.28. I held my breath, purchased Doom VFR and launched the game - and it just worked - perfectly. No missing textures and smooth framerate. I did lower anti-aliasing to 1xTAA (couldn't see benefit from higher levels with super-sampling 2.0) and I did a few times observe some pauses with virtual texturing page set to Ultra - so I set that to High (couldn't see any difference, only once in two hours did I notice a pause using High - I guess some texture swapping happened). I'm using GTX 1080 8GB (oc 2100 Mhz boost, 11 GHz ram), i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 Ghz) processor, 16 GB 3200 MHz system memory and Win10. Very important: remember to select "Gritty" rendering - it's so much better and sharper than the blurry "Default" rendering!

ss_8988ba5f61cfaec788f3a8d81f475e4efa93464b.1920x1080.jpg

Textures are out-of-this-world awesome - you can even see small scratches on windows and metal surfaces. Textures make monsters look simply photo-realistic. A few years back many games had prerendered intros with worse graphics than Doom VFR in-game graphics. But again, you need to select "Gritty" rendering to really show the utterly amazing textures. And due to limited headset res you'll need to be very close to textures to really see and enjoy them (not easy to enjoy Cyberdemon textures 😉 Monster animations are top of the line too, monsters may crawl up pipes and climb stairs to get to you. And the beholders are breathtakingly awesome! Using FAST full locomotion you'll simply find no better action in VR. Gameplay is just as fast as Doom1-2 and Doom4. Guns/weapons are fantastic too and can be upgraded. I'm left-handed and first I was annoyed that I couldn't switch weapon-hand, but it's no big deal - and I can throw grenades using my left arm, which is perfect (I suck at throwing with my right hand and arm) - later the grenade launcher is perfect for my left hand too.. 

ss_c108159b1edf21e1772148f19de83ccc7c527979.1920x1080.jpg

One unique thing - when you jump in the real world you jump in the game. A-w-e-s-o-m-e 🙂 You can also jump by quickly lifting your hands upwards. Use the controller to run and then jump with your real feet - then you'll jump forward in the game! At first I didn't like the analogue head rotation movement control, but it really works, make the game feel so much more real, and I think it's so much better than same-speed digital rotation. 

So I've become a believer in Doom VFR. It's simply awesome. It's the best adrenaline pumping VR action you'll find. And although the in-game environment is rather spooky, it's just a great feeling finally being on Mars - all previous Doom games was just a warm-up to the real thing: Welcome to Doom VFR!

BTW, I suck at VR horror games, my nerves are thin - so I chose the easiest difficult in the game - but it's not really hard - go for "hurt me plenty" if you've tried Doom before. Note that there's tons of gore and dismembered corpses in-game, this game is not for kids!

Thank you Bethesda and Zenimax for letting Rift users experience this game - and for not letting Rift users become hostages in a legal fight we're not part of.

My rating: 95%

ss_d8c0e71b54322d7d3803f3325196bd7cc21a290c.1920x1080.jpg

ss_d19d726bb14af6c476861defcb5a1f8e01cd58e1.1920x1080.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

86 REPLIES 86

battleaxe39
Protege
I've been on the fence about this game since it came out for various reasons, all I heard was bad things from the start about it which was a shame because I loved the normal version but your review for it was very good and I will look into it, it's been in the wishlist too long lol

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I had much the same thoughts about the game - but I got a Steam key for something like $15 - and then not much could go wrong 😉

http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-doom-vfr-cd-key-compare-prices/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I love the Doom franchise, but I’m still waiting for them to patch in a left-handed mode.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did they finally fix the issue with the missing textures? I haven’t play it in a while because of this, and ID’s lack of communication on the subject. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

UBSERD said:

Did they finally fix the issue with the missing textures? I haven’t play it in a while because of this, and ID’s lack of communication on the subject. 

I'm using Forceware 385.28 - I've never seen missing or flickering textures.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

UBSERD said:

I'm using Forceware 385.28 - I've never seen missing or flickering textures.

Yeah that’s the problem. Nvidia needs to get with the program seriously and fix their damn updates.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I want to buy this but I feel like I have too much on my plate already. And my 1 gaming SSD is nearly full. I never imagined I would run out of space. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RattyUK
Trustee

MowTin said:

I want to buy this but I feel like I have too much on my plate already. And my 1 gaming SSD is nearly full. I never imagined I would run out of space. 

I have several library locations for Steam games (just over 2 TB currently) and would like Oculus to give the same option for us users, that way the SSD's could hold 'current' games and the others stored on conventional HDD until needed.

If you have a seperate HDD and unlimited data (or broadband) I suppose you could uninstall / reinstall at a push, just to keep space for current entertainment.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I read somewhere that Doom VFR only works if you disable Core 2.0 and use the good old Oculus Home. Guess that blew my cover  😘 - Yes, I'm using the old, original and awesome Oculus Home, it works perfectly with SS 2.0, while the Core 2.0 Home is much more demanding and laggy with SS 2.0  :# Besides, Core 2.0 Home feels like a semi-game, I want my Home simple and clean!