cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous, what is it like?

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
I noticed it requires a controller.. is it good?
Do you need a fast broadband?
21 REPLIES 21

Molock
Protege
One of the best games I have played. It is not for everyone and that is what makes this game special. It doesn't try to please everyone like most games do which end up being boring games that hold your hand, to the point of it actually being very difficult to kill the player character. This is a game that I have been playing since Game Preview on XB1. Its only because of a sad event in my life, that enough money came my way to buy a PC. Its almost the only reason I spent the money on a PC plus a Rift. I like this game that much. It does have a very steep learning curve. Some experience with flight sims will be helpful, but not necessary. There are some quite good tutorials definitely do those even if you have played this type of thing before. I don't know about PC, but on XB1 there were groups dedicated to helping and teaching newcomers. I am sure it is the same for PC. Now the game itself is HUGE!!!!! There are around 100,000,000,000 stars to explore. So if exploration is your thing it'll probably take more time than you have left to visit them all. Stuff to do: There is the trading, combat, exploration, mining and passenger missions to do(I've missed stuff I know, its just what I can remember off the top of me head) . New stuff is added all the time. The game is almost unrecognisable since when I first started.  You can play MP join factions go pirating or be a good guy and help out those poor traders from being pirated. ED is a living, breathing, constantly evolving entity and if your put off by MP. You can play solo as I do mostly. Unlike a lot of MP games that offer a solo option, those games tend not to work to well because they are designed around MP. As is ED, but because of the nature of the game that does not matter at all. We all share the galaxy and Solo mode is actually enhanced because of it. There are other MP options as well in the form of Private Groups. Some are more for PVE rather than PVP. I think if I can find a PVE group I will join that. I can rattle on loads more but I believe I've rattled on enough.  
TL:DR If you put the time and effort in the rewards are well worth the effort.

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
Are the controller XBOX controls preset?
I have it already on steam, but was wondering the difference with the oculus store one.
I found that the loading time whilst in a station dock was ridiculously slow on my adsl 

ParadiseDecay
Rising Star

molokow said:

Are the controller XBOX controls preset?
I have it already on steam, but was wondering the difference with the oculus store one.
I found that the loading time whilst in a station dock was ridiculously slow on my adsl 

There are preset but you can bascically re-configure every button.
☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060

JesseDeya
Expert Protege

kevink808 said:

I bought this game after reading all the raving reviews here and seeing the awesome trailer. 

Yup, reading all the reviews and watching trailers is great way to know what you're getting into.

kevink808 said:

...But man, I just don't get it.  It bores the shit out of me and the tutorials are really a snooze to follow.  I didn't realize it was a space simulator.

Err, wot?
Sorry, your post really made me laugh 🙂

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
Yeah.  Spend the money for the HOTAS and for VoiceAttack.  Having to peek under your HMD to find a key on the keyboard takes a lot away from the game and can be a big disadvantage in the middle of a fight (you will want to, for example, divert power to shields or weapons or thrusters depending on how the battle plays out and you really can't afford to stop flying to do it).  I am using a $30 10 year old HOTAS but like the game well enough that I am seriously considering upgrading to the Warthog.  Lots of good videos but, like anything, for each good one there are 10 that are awful that force you to listen to 20 minutes of inane chatter to get one useful sentence.  Good luck.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

vannagirl
Consultant
Voice attack, hot"ass" and hc voice pack make for great experience  🙂

PS

It is possible to type, txt with the patented oculus nose gap if needed

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Greyman
Superstar
Or you can add the phonetic alphabet to the voice attack profile and spell out what you want to say.  I use that for searching for systems etc.

Actually, I've just had a thought.  I wonder if a pass-through command would be possible, to allow for dictation, which would be great for comms with other players.

something like "start dictation", followed by your spoken message that VA would type into the message dialogue, followed by "stop dictation".

i might have a play with that idea later, but Windows voice recognition would have to be well set up.

Edit: LOL, it was a good idea, but unfortunately, somebody else had it first 🙂

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/145653-VoiceAttack-Dictation-mode-for-Comms

gapper4
Protege
I'll repeat what others have said. ED is, by far, the best and most complete game currently fully supporting VR. Combined with Voice Attack and a good HOTAS (I have an X-52Pro), it's absolutely amazing. Assuming your computer is powerful enough to tweak the graphics (you can find a very thorough guide on the dedicated ED VR forum), VR just doesn't get any better at the moment. 

I'm also part of Mobius and with TeamSpeak installed, you can fly in Wings with others and participate in battles that will make you feel like you're in a sci-fi movie. Seriously, if you already own a Rift, you simply owe it yourself to buy ED. 

falken76
Expert Consultant
I don't like it, to me it's a boring space grind with boring space battles.  You better have A LOT of free time on your hands to play this game.

But, enough people love this game that it has to be great for people that are into that kind of thing.  The franchise has been around since the days of the C64.  I had it on my Amiga also, I didn't like that one either, but my friend loved it. 

Tazipam
Honored Guest
I was so hyped about it. AFter I eventually tried it - was disappointed. The one thing that is killing me - background with all that stars and galaxies appears to be artificial and flat (comparing with ships and other stuff). Thats completely breaking immersion for me 😞