cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous

bigmike20vt
Visionary
holy hell guys.......... I sm going to sound like a screaming fanboy now but....

I got ED working. No idea why, it just worked when this morning it didnt. it must have been me rushing. but cripes.

This is THE best gaming WOW moment I have ever experienced.

You know that notion of building up a tolerence in the rift... that went right out of the window just with pushing 2 hrs solid in there.

everything is so BIG you just do not get a sense of scale on a monitor (and that is coming from someone who games on a 70 inch)

If I was going to be objective (tough i know!) the resolution is still not ideal, with not all text being usable. This should be fixed for CV1 however. Also the FOV is not an issue in this game because you would wear a helmet anyway right?

I love the rift, and this game is certainly going to be one of the all time greats in it. Any one who owns a rift has to get ED.... should everyone with ED buy a rift? I dunno, maybe not, but they should certainly have a go on a friends and then make their own mind up.

PS I have an ok spec PC, with a heavily overclocked GTX 670 but I run ED on low settings. I will wait till my next gpu before i ramp that up.

oh and if you put your stick roughly where your avatar has his, the tracking on it is perfect so much so i was grinning just waggling my stick!. It was so convincing after a while, so much so when i dropped something off my desk for a couple of seconds i was looking on my cockpit floor for it!!!.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
772 REPLIES 772

billydeath
Honored Guest
Usually I seem to hit all the obscure bugs and random issues with games, but I must have lucked out with ED. I've got a 680GTX, and the game runs as smooth as butter. It's also working fine with the rift in native mode. The only issue I have is the new menus and maps are a bit hard to operate. The improvement between beta 1 and 2 is incredible, but flying around with no maps and no idea where I am is a challenge!

Duanedibly
Honored Guest
Yeah I dont understand how it goes from working to hanging. All the suggestions on official forums are bust (resetting save etc)

I am dissapointed because I was having such a great experience.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"davidmi58" wrote:
"jeroenbreukels" wrote:
I'm getting loss of positional tracking about once a second for maybe a tenth of a second (the cockpit looses color briefly to indicate loss of positional tracking.) This is in Beta 2.04 and I never had this problem before. It makes you warp over small distances and is really nauseating. I have tried different positions of the camera. And I have never had this problem in DCS or the demos.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm on a GeForce770 and windows7 64bit

cheers

Do you have an i7 processor with hyperthreading? If so, you might try disabling the HT in your bios. I was having lots momentary tracking loss/dim screen issues. Almost a flickering effect. Read somewhere it might be the HT. Turned mine off. It looks great now!

Actually I switched from Windows 7 to 8.1 and all of that went away. I think the new build is optimized for 8.1.

sadnhappy
Honored Guest
So mm. Read Reddit, read this thread, googled tips but even still I'm getting lots of judder in E:D using the Rift DK2 unless I have _everything_ on minimum and the Oculus quality on the lowest setting. I have i5 4670K, AMD Radeon 7870 and 8G of RAM (1600hz), is there something I'm missing? :cry:
August 1st: DK2 Ordered (Finland) October 7th: Ready straight to Processing 14th of October: Received 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary
your 7870 is the problem.

its just too weak a gpu for high detail VR.

VR has a huge overhead compared to a 1080p screen, not to mention framerate drops are way more noticable in VR than on a monitor.

I use a heavily overclocked GTX670 which I believe outperforms your card by a fair margin. (I am not really in the AMD camp so maybe someone else can confirm).

but even then, inside stations I have to have the game on low to keep from being nausea inducing, and even on low I cant go into the ice asteroid belts..

out in open space i can play pretty much on high, but given I am not going to go into options and change details ever 10 mins, I just play on low and stay away from asteroid belts.

hopefully we will see driver and game optimisations, but other than that I hope to get either a GTX970 or GTX 980 off santa in a few months time.... I suggest you send a similar wish list up the chimney as well 😉
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

sadnhappy
Honored Guest
Yeah that was the logical choice there 😛 So I just ordered Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 290, 4GB GDDR5 for 370e. 😄
August 1st: DK2 Ordered (Finland) October 7th: Ready straight to Processing 14th of October: Received 🙂

acarrilho
Explorer
"sadnhappy" wrote:
Yeah that was the logical choice there 😛 So I just ordered Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 290, 4GB GDDR5 for 370e. 😄

Whoa, wait a second, isn't that the exact price of your average GTX970...? :shock:
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

acarrilho
Explorer
I think there's a bigger difference between the GTX970 to the R9 290, than there is between the R9 290 and the 7870.

sadnhappy
Honored Guest
"acarrilho" wrote:
"sadnhappy" wrote:

Whoa, wait a second, isn't that the exact price of your average GTX970...? :shock:

I had a feeling I shouldn't have added the price at the end (gonna add that the price also includes the shipping and delivery in the price!). The thing is the store I'm buying it from didn't have any 970's in stock at the moment (a batch would have come in 2-3 weeks or so) and I'm incredibly impatient when it comes to ordering stuff. I did some googling and comparing and didn't really find that much difference. Sure the 970 might be better in some aspects and cost a bit less/same and I simply don't care. Also I've had AMD GPU's for the longest time but I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy in any standard. That's my choice, I'm sticking to it 🙂

acarrilho
Explorer
"sadnhappy" wrote:
I had a feeling I shouldn't have added the price at the end (gonna add that the price also includes the shipping and delivery in the price!).

😄 I can relate, I hate folks pissing on my choices as well, but I'm open to decent arguments if returning the stuff is still a viable option.

"sadnhappy" wrote:
The thing is the store I'm buying it from didn't have any 970's in stock at the moment (a batch would have come in 2-3 weeks or so) and I'm incredibly impatient when it comes to ordering stuff.

I relate again. But there are plenty of stores out there...

"sadnhappy" wrote:
I did some googling and comparing and didn't really find that much difference.

Don't take my word for it, this benchmark was updated today, and while its relation to games is always debatable, it's my personal reference.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

"sadnhappy" wrote:
Sure the 970 might be better in some aspects and cost a bit less/same and I simply don't care. Also I've had AMD GPU's for the longest time but I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy in any standard. That's my choice, I'm sticking to it 🙂

Sure. I'm stuck with a 7790, myself. Switched architecture to Intel mainly on account of the Rift (future SLI and all), but then I recently had to RMA a 970, that supposedly was fine, so I'm still deciding what to do. Still have to recommend it though, since GPU prices aren't dropping as they should given the 900 series performance.

Although that site already rates a 780 Ti at $419.99...