cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous

bigmike20vt
Visionary
holy hell guys.......... I sm going to sound like a screaming fanboy now but....

I got ED working. No idea why, it just worked when this morning it didnt. it must have been me rushing. but cripes.

This is THE best gaming WOW moment I have ever experienced.

You know that notion of building up a tolerence in the rift... that went right out of the window just with pushing 2 hrs solid in there.

everything is so BIG you just do not get a sense of scale on a monitor (and that is coming from someone who games on a 70 inch)

If I was going to be objective (tough i know!) the resolution is still not ideal, with not all text being usable. This should be fixed for CV1 however. Also the FOV is not an issue in this game because you would wear a helmet anyway right?

I love the rift, and this game is certainly going to be one of the all time greats in it. Any one who owns a rift has to get ED.... should everyone with ED buy a rift? I dunno, maybe not, but they should certainly have a go on a friends and then make their own mind up.

PS I have an ok spec PC, with a heavily overclocked GTX 670 but I run ED on low settings. I will wait till my next gpu before i ramp that up.

oh and if you put your stick roughly where your avatar has his, the tracking on it is perfect so much so i was grinning just waggling my stick!. It was so convincing after a while, so much so when i dropped something off my desk for a couple of seconds i was looking on my cockpit floor for it!!!.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
772 REPLIES 772

grimdar
Expert Protege
WOW.. this was the most insane experience ever with the DK2. :shock: :shock: Hands down best rift game so far.

Does anyone know how to lower the brightness a bit?

Simpanra
Honored Guest
"grimdar" wrote:
WOW.. this was the most insane experience ever with the DK2. :shock: :shock: Hands down best rift game so far.

Does anyone know how to lower the brightness a bit?

Screen brightness of rift is in your graphics card settings,
Dashboard brightness in Elite Dangerous is in the graphics settings 🙂

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
"vrtrader" wrote:
Thanks for the tip! That actually worked, once i blocked the camera the game started up, colors look a little pale though!

Color saturation drops when the camera loses sight of the HMD. You won't have positional tracking if that's the case. Recenter the Rift when you enter the game, by default this is F12.

thatdude90210
Protege
Saw this posted in Reddit but don't see it here, how to get improvement in chromatic aberration for Elite Dangerous:
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2dysny/elitedangerous_chromatic_aberration_improvement/.

Simpanra
Honored Guest
"thatdude90210" wrote:
Saw this posted in Reddit but don't see it here, how to get improvement in chromatic aberration for Elite Dangerous:
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2dysny/elitedangerous_chromatic_aberration_improvement/.

I would love to know how well this works, and if it can be employed into something like HL2 to really remove that last smidgen of chromatic aberration 😄

Liquidpinky
Honored Guest
How I got it to work with a system comprising of two different GFX cards, a Titan for 5940x1080 resolution and a GTX580 for the Rift. These are independent with no SLi bridge fitted.
I initially had a bit of bother with Elite to start with, and most things as the DK2 seems to like being on next to your main monitor.
The Rift wouldn't even be acknowledged as a secondary in Elite's display options (probably because it is display 4 using my current setup).
So I do the following.
I have the DK2 in Extended mode.
Use the Configuration Utility to pause the service.
Then Start up Elite and do the Login process, don't start the game. (this makes it a little easier later when trying to hit the tab).
I then right click on an empty part of the desktop and select Screen Resolution option, I then set the Rift as my primary display.
Then have fun getting the cursor over start game and I am in to Elite, which is a gleaming example of how to implement a Rift in a game.

To smooth the game out a little, disable Ambient Occlusion, this is a frame rate killer setting in any game anyway. Disabling will always get you a good FPS gain, some games I can reel back 30% of my FPS from it alone.
Next mess with the AA, do you really need it in your Rift?
Those two alone will get rid of a load of judder from the head-tracking.

matmulder
Honored Guest
"Simpanra" wrote:
"thatdude90210" wrote:

I would love to know how well this works, and if it can be employed into something like HL2 to really remove that last smidgen of chromatic aberration 😄

Tried this - despite my scepticism it actually makes a marked improvement, especially inside space stations which seem clearer and more vibrant. Out in space, the difference is less so.

But as it's a quick and easy change to make, it's well worth doing!
DK2 - Ordered, pending. Promoting educational VR - it's the future, I've tasted it.

grimdar
Expert Protege
"thatdude90210" wrote:

Thanks for the tip..
If anyone has a spare moment, it would be awesome to have a copy of the exe with this mod. I'm a 3d artist.. not an engineer. *runs in shame*

acarrilho
Explorer
"grimdar" wrote:
"thatdude90210" wrote:

Thanks for the tip..
If anyone has a spare moment, it would be awesome to have a copy of the exe with this mod. I'm a 3d artist.. not an engineer. *runs in shame*

Trust me... if I did it, anyone can do it. Thing is, I didn't notice any difference, so either I didn't have the CA problem to begin with (it's easy to just assume we do), or I did something wrong. In which case, you're probably better off doing it yourself. Just get this HEX editor, copy the editor to where the .exe file is, open the file, search and replace the strings, and presto... a big disappointment in my case.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

Simpanra
Honored Guest
"matmulder" wrote:
"Simpanra" wrote:
"thatdude90210" wrote:

Tried this - despite my scepticism it actually makes a marked improvement, especially inside space stations which seem clearer and more vibrant. Out in space, the difference is less so.

But as it's a quick and easy change to make, it's well worth doing!

Great to hear! It has been too long since I Hex-edited anyway :lol: This should be fun! :twisted: