cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous

bigmike20vt
Visionary
holy hell guys.......... I sm going to sound like a screaming fanboy now but....

I got ED working. No idea why, it just worked when this morning it didnt. it must have been me rushing. but cripes.

This is THE best gaming WOW moment I have ever experienced.

You know that notion of building up a tolerence in the rift... that went right out of the window just with pushing 2 hrs solid in there.

everything is so BIG you just do not get a sense of scale on a monitor (and that is coming from someone who games on a 70 inch)

If I was going to be objective (tough i know!) the resolution is still not ideal, with not all text being usable. This should be fixed for CV1 however. Also the FOV is not an issue in this game because you would wear a helmet anyway right?

I love the rift, and this game is certainly going to be one of the all time greats in it. Any one who owns a rift has to get ED.... should everyone with ED buy a rift? I dunno, maybe not, but they should certainly have a go on a friends and then make their own mind up.

PS I have an ok spec PC, with a heavily overclocked GTX 670 but I run ED on low settings. I will wait till my next gpu before i ramp that up.

oh and if you put your stick roughly where your avatar has his, the tracking on it is perfect so much so i was grinning just waggling my stick!. It was so convincing after a while, so much so when i dropped something off my desk for a couple of seconds i was looking on my cockpit floor for it!!!.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
772 REPLIES 772

floydfreak
Honored Guest
Just got this going on my dk2...

Unbelievably good - A completely different experience 😄

Might have to watch my neck muscles though!

:mrgreen:

dai
Honored Guest
"Solmors" wrote:
Anyone else have the problem where your mouse has limited movement range. It's like my mouse is stuck in a box half the size of the screen.

Everything else works great, and I was having a lot of fun until I crashed my ship and can't hit confirm because the button is just out of my mouse range.

I've been playing nonstop in the rift the past few nights, absolutely breathtaking but yeah there's a good number of buggers they need to iron out. I'm going to go find (or start) a topic on oculus integration in the beta forums to collect more feedback and make sure the devs are fully aware of the issues.

Currently I've found:
• a number of menus will restrict the mouse to a smaller-than-screen box, often preventing you from clicking the 'ok' button. You can use your menu navigation keys to bypass this issue, at least.
• most menus (like the station services) consider your cursor to be hovering an inch or so in front of the screen, so when you reach toward far areas (like the ok/cancel buttons at the bottom of a list) you have to aim a bit just past it.
• the galaxy map is a disorienting mess right now, so you have to hold your head still to avoid getting nauseous. Clicking towards the center will allow you to rotate, but you can't click on systems. If you click anything towards the outer 50%(ish) of the screen (like if you want to use the left menu), it will tab out of the program. The only way to navigate your map to other systems is to use your keys to tab over to the search box, then enter the name of where you want to go, or of systems you can see in your view, so you can slowly crawl across a chain of them.
• being in fullscreen (which the program forces in oculus mode) prevents you from getting screencaptures or streaming video of the game by any means, which really sucks if you're trying to get examples of these issues, or just want to stream in general
• because of the limited resolution compared to your view of a normal monitor, many displays are hard to read without leaning way forward. Comm and ship information are particularly hard to read (both forward/left), and are moderately important when encountering other ships or planning around systems of particular influence. Text size changes either by choice or by virtue of being in a rift would be very welcome. Alternatively, an optical zoom function would be nice, for inspecting not only your menus but things out in front of you.

TomSD
Honored Guest
Yeah they oughta fix that galaxy map.

Curious, why does being fullscreen prevent you from capturing video? I tested Elite with Open Broadcaster using its game capture mode and it seemed to work fine. I only did the "preview stream" function because I was only trying to achieve mirroring, but I figure if previewing the stream works then capturing should as well. The Rift was set as the primary display.
i7-4770K, 2x GTX 780 SLI, Windows 7 64-bit, Oculus runtime 0.6.0.0

darkcrayon
Protege
I guess a new patch just came out, Beta 1.04. No mention of the Rift in the release notes though 😕 Downloading now.

No Oculus Rift changes as far as I can tell, actually after several launch attempts I couldn't get the game to work as well as before (starts up with the colors separated, or starts up with no head tracking depending on if i have the services started or not). So I guess we wait a bit longer!

pierreye
Honored Guest
No problem with v1.04. Still working as usual by stopping Oculus Service.

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
"pierreye" wrote:
No problem with v1.04. Still working as usual by stopping Oculus Service.

ditto for me.
Great game so far, aside from bad judder in the space stations.
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2

schummy1
Explorer
How to make it works with SDK 0.4.2? Now I've seen that there is a OVRServiceLauncher.exe on the task manager.
I've tried everything but I'm not getting the head tracking working.

govny
Explorer
"schummy1" wrote:
How to make it works with SDK 0.4.2? Now I've seen that there is a OVRServiceLauncher.exe on the task manager.
I've tried everything but I'm not getting the head tracking working.

simply pause service in configuration utility>tools>advanced

richhard1
Protege
Stupid question but what exactly should the resolution be in windows and elite?

I'm using 1920x1080 at 75hz, but its so not clear at all, especially at distance.
I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE

Reldan
Honored Guest
That is the correct setting for it. What you see is basically what you get at this resolution being split between both eyes. You really have to want to appreciate the immersion over the sense of detail.