cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F1 2017, no VR? Common CodeMasters

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I saw a thread on Steam about some people been annoyed that F1 2017 hasn't included VR. What is it with CodeMasters? They make an excellent job of implementing VR into Rally game and now they seem to have abandoned VR? I hope they change their minds because a lot of racing fans have gone the VR route now. Racing while sat in a car is great, but racing sat in your bedroom is boring now. VR allows you to sit in the car and not your bedroom.
28 REPLIES 28

Oops01
Protege

MarkusWo said:

DaVinster said:
I agree totally. I paid big money for F1-2010 when it first came out. My scenario is a little different as I had eyefinity mounted to a motion sim. I mean back when three screen gaming was fairly new. It was mind blowing to have the 'through the windshield' effect. I bought all the F1 Series up until I got my Dk2. Off came the screens! You just cannot describe to someone who has never experienced it what it feels like to 'sit' in a  car in VR. Now add motion.. u get the drift 😉

My budget shifted almost entirely to VR titles, especially anything that supported racing. Early days of VR support in titles that later dropped it, which is a shame.. but then project cars, AC, dirt rally and iRacing came out with CV1 support and I moved on.

The sad thing is a haven't had a virtual reality F1 experience on par with the Codies series. I won't purchase D4 or any other racing sim without VR support. Especially painful since codemasters did such an excellent job at implementation in Dirt Rally. Different gaming engine or not, knowledge from what they learned (beyond the technical) on how to implement good VR will be lost.

The STATS are in and VR is far from dead and growing. Big players have recently stepped up to invest big $$ in VR/AR so it's not like it won't be worth the investment.

Hi,
did you try Raceroom Racing Experience with the Formula X-17 cars? It's the closest you can get to an F1 experience in VR. The sound will blow your mind! Physics, AI and graphics are top.

I just got the Formula X-17 and man is the sound magic, the only problem I have now is that I have an abscess in one of my front teeth so I can't wear the HMD atm and man trying to go back to racing without the Oculus is rubbish, I urged anyone that is on the fence about getting an HMD to get one now while they are reduced you won't regret it.

DaVinster
Protege
With no VR support for Dirt 4, after implementing it well in Dirt Rally, shows where they stand. All that VR knowledge gone in a puff of smoke. A veritable slap in the face for us VR folk. Dirt 4 has been on sale at a deep discount since release and I still won't buy it. I vote with my wallet and I support titles and studios who support VR. Sorry Codies.. PCars2 will be my next purchase with monies I was going to give you.  I'll not purchase or support anything else you publish.

vannagirl
Consultant

DaVinster said:

With no VR support for Dirt 4, after implementing it well in Dirt Rally, shows where they stand. All that VR knowledge gone in a puff of smoke. A veritable slap in the face for us VR folk. Dirt 4 has been on sale at a deep discount since release and I still won't buy it. I vote with my wallet and I support titles and studios who support VR. Sorry Codies.. PCars2 will be my next purchase with monies I was going to give you.  I'll not purchase or support anything else you publish.

The sim streamers i follow all race pcars2. It looks to be pretty darn good in VR
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

I've stopped myself buying the F1 games... not so much because of lack of VR, just that I never play them enough to get good at it. My favourite has always been Grand Prix Legends, that's how long I've been trying to get good! and even with that I'm only good on half the circuits.

Absolutely love pCARS & pCARS 2 in VR... but still like the occasional bit of monitor racing too and have all the DiRTs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've stopped myself buying the F1 games... not so much because of lack of VR, just that I never play them enough to get good at it. My favourite has always been Grand Prix Legends, that's how long I've been trying to get good! and even with that I'm only good on half the circuits.

Absolutely love pCARS & pCARS 2 in VR... but still like the occasional bit of monitor racing too and have all the DiRTs.

Oh man, GPL was the absolute best in my book, I had many hours with that sim. It was truly groundbreaking for it's day, I sure miss those days of Papyrus.

dburne said:

Oh man, GPL was the absolute best in my book, I had many hours with that sim. It was truly groundbreaking for it's day, I sure miss those days of Papyrus.

You may be interested in a project I was doing to convert GPL tracks into Assetto Corsa.....

pwyc1up5q0y4.jpg

74wjj7jhb7he.jpg   503cvbnwpamp.jpg

xb4dexb65wdx.jpg

oy2qp5wagtvd.jpg

This is Rouen Les Essarts, my favourite track. It's completely racable in Assetto Corsa now but I haven't converted all the scenery and the AC graphics engine makes for some very high contrast scenes when you use the original solid tree scenery. The track surface has to be created from scratch, the tools you can get don't allow for that to be converted because of copyright issues I believe so it takes ages to do.

....but it's fun to drive GPL in VR !!

MarkusWo
Expert Protege

Hey DaftnDirect, that sounds incredible!!!
Keep us updated on this project 🙂

Thanks so much!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very nice DaftnDirect!

Sodgim
Honored Guest
I own F1 2010 throug F1 2015 - very disappointing that there is no VR support in 2016 or 2017 as those appear to be the best of the series???  I am with everyone here though - No VR, no more buying F1 games.  It just isn't the same when you can't look into a corner.  Load up the best sim ever and the Ferrari and enjoy F1 that way (Assetto Corsa).  I will have to check out DaftnDirect's mods.  I think Asetto is (other than iRacing) one of the best if not the best driving sim for current hardware/pc/Oculus etc.

Any VORPX owners have any luck with the F1 games (Geometry 3D and head tracking?)  I tried TriDef and the 3D was sub par.