Did you mean: 

Google Announces ‘Blocks’, a VR App Like ‘Tilt Brush’ for Modeling 3D Objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
12 REPLIES 12

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Cool, and it's free! I'm pretty happy with Medium, but it'll be interesting to see how Google tackled the challenges of VR 3D modelling. I wonder how polygon mesh modelling in VR will compare to Medium?

I just added it to my library, but tonight I'll be busy playing the Echo Arena beta, so I'm not sure when I'll actually  try it out.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

cybereality
Grand Champion
Looks really cool.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
From the teaser video I can't tell if it is more like Lego's or more like Play-Doh.

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
I'll definitely be giving this a try when I get home...quite curious.

neocaleric
Protege
Hello, i tried this app yesterday. Really fun and incredibly easy to use. I can see it becoming more popular than medium since it has such simple and friendly UI. Only thing i couldn't fix was that i accidentally switched tools from one hand to the other... now i have no idea how to switch it back. Im right handed but had to try modelling with the left, really weird. Do you know what should i press to switch it back in case it happens again?

Anonymous
Not applicable
@neocaleric I'm trying to switch to left handed, weird it's not in the tutorial! I will keep trying to find out how to switch

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Hey @FrozenPea, I figured out how to swap hands. On your virtual controllers, the right hand one has
the "activator" thingee sticking out of the front, and the off-hand one
has a cavity there. Bump those parts of the controllers together, and
the activator tool will swap from one hand to the other.

It might take a few tries to get it to go, and it doesn't remember
the setting, so you'll have to do it each time you start the program. It
would have been nice if they mentioned it in the tutorial, or better
yet, just put it in the Options menu.

I just posted this on your Reddit thread, but I figured it would be useful to post it here as well for anyone else looking for an answer to this.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
It's quite interesting, and to me fills a different need than Medium. This seems much more like traditional modeling to me - I very much like the extruding and wireframe move tools!

Still, I very much see this mainly being good for just low poly fun as opposed to Medium. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is my first Blocks creation, was really fun! Not sure how I can see it in the long term but its a nice app to mess around in 🙂

I do like the web viewer though!  https://vr.google.com/u/2/objects/a40UV8UZlhw

1gutqxi09t75.jpg