cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you obtain games from other sources than the Oculus Store

ElvisPresley
Explorer
Hi Newbie here, just received my Rift a couple weeks ago... The are some titles that I see have Rift Support like "Town of Light".. that I would like to try.. Where/how do you download these titles if not in the Oculus Store, do you just purchase them from the Vendor or Steam directly? Then how do you launch them as the Rift defaults to the Oculus home page at Launch?
4 REPLIES 4

nalex66
MVP
MVP
In Oculus Home, there is a checkbox in the settings menu to allow non-Home experiences (not at my VR PC at the moment, so I don't have the exact wording). Once you select that, you can play games that come from other sources like Steam, as long as the game in question has Oculus support built-in.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Keep in mind that currently, "Town of Light," is reporting problems with Rift CV1.

And yes, once you follow the instructions @nalex66 provided, you can launch steam, search for "virtual reality" and then filter to "Oculus Rift." Then simply download and play the games from steam. Some games bring up certain options asking you "how" you would like to launch the game/application. Usually the option for Oculus Rift is there, but you'll get the hang of it.

If you've been gaming from Oculus Home for over 30 minutes or so then you may need to reboot your PC before the Steam app's work. Sometimes things will freeze up if you switch between Steam/Oculus too much.

You can also launch Steam VR and play standard games in the Virtual Theater using your Rift. It's pretty damn fun.

JoshuaJSlone
Expert Protege

Then how do you launch them as the Rift defaults to the Oculus home page at Launch?

You still run the Oculus program so it will show the default store view on your monitor and the "launch room" on the Rift. When you run a program externally it will then take over the Rift view.

mrhomely
Protege
This post should be a sticky! It's good information.