cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I punched the wall with my fist and the Touch controller while playing Super Hot

nerdVRBuddy
Protege
Hi guys. i've heard others have run into same problem. I'm ok but i hit pretty hard and it hurt.
I have Guardian but it was kind of hard to see over a white background so i went through it.

Anyone has had the same experience?

PS the wall i hit was next to a window, i coul've hit the window
30 REPLIES 30

PIXELATED
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

These Touch controllers are mighty durable. I actually broke the tiny Joystick on the left controller last month. I'm not sure how. It just fell right off. However, even though it was clearly severed from within, I was able to lock it back in place and it functions perfectly normal.

Impressive. No need to spend an extra $100 just yet!

i did this, repaired the little joystick thing under some powerful glasses with strong glue but it broke again and i ended up having to buy another set...
..but the good news is I now have spare parts and another sensor (-:
Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35

rlabelle
Protege
I was actually expecting a flurry of videos on youtube of people punching walls, windows, kids, and every other assortment of oddities people collect in their homes.  When the Wii first released people were getting hurt left and right.  I guess those of us that dabbled into VR are a different breed since, in its infancy, requires some basic pc knowledge and common sense, thus also giving us the know how to move things out of the way when you are blindfolded and flailing your arms.  Still, it was fun to watch people smack each other using the Wii. 
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1 FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28

elboffor
Consultant
The first time i used touch (christmas day) i put the disk into the machine on the left in first encounter. I was really impressed when the haptic feedback kicked in as i pushed it in. The reality is i hit my three year old in the face 😕
Ive smacked my desk on a downward stroke throwing a robot to the ground in robo recall.
Ive punched my wall mounted tv in superhot.

This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

EvolutionMR
Honored Guest
lol i broke mine 2 days after buying it, snapped the joystick off. I took it back to bestbuy and they gave me a new one.
Smart move on their part not supporting the rift with their "protection plans". I've since moved my furniture around better

Lemming1970
Rising Star

Hi guys. i've heard others have run into same problem. I'm ok but i hit pretty hard and it hurt.
I have Guardian but it was kind of hard to see over a white background so i went through it.

Anyone has had the same experience?

PS the wall i hit was next to a window, i coul've hit the window

Maybe reduce your guardian a little to give you a buffer before hitting anything.
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

LordQuake
Adventurer
I punched my 4 year old while playing SuperHot. Didnt know he had come into the room. Once he woke up and picked himself off the floor he seemed to be ok though, those were his milk teeth anyway and he was happy to have a small collection to offer the tooth fairy. He does seem to be having more nightmares lately, but yeah, probably not connected. The main point in all this was the controllers performed perfectley, just a small stuff mark from a tooth but I can live with that. I do recall saying as much to the wife, really well engineered, better than a 4 year old. Well done Oculus, you should use that in your marketing.

GaMeAhOLiC
Explorer

Zenbane said:

These Touch controllers are mighty durable. I actually broke the tiny Joystick on the left controller last month. I'm not sure how. It just fell right off. However, even though it was clearly severed from within, I was able to lock it back in place and it functions perfectly normal.

Impressive. No need to spend an extra $100 just yet!

Same thing happened to me with my controller... There is something faulty in the analog sticks because I did nothing but normal use and it broke as well

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

CrashFu said:

lmao,  now I'm imagining someone punching straight through a window with their Touch controller.  While the neighbor or the postman or somebody is walking by.

But yeah, if your guardian walls are set only inches away from solid surfaces and you're moving fast enough, it's pretty easy to flail your way right past the guardian boundaries before you see them pop up.  I'd advise either drawing your boundaries a little farther away from where you want them, or just training yourself not to get too close to them to begin with.

Only the tiniest fraction of VR-owners have access to a play space that's REALLY large enough for room-scale, after all.  For the rest of us, collateral damage is always a risk. :lol:

Muwhahahahaha!
I love my roomspace.
WAAAGH!

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
I had a "funny" experience with my Mrs soon after getting my Rift.
I was showing her how good it is, and she was just sat on the sofa in home and IRL, when she turned around quickly to look behind her. As she did this her legs swung up and round onto the sofa, booting a full cup of coffee off the coffee table and across the room smashing into pieces in the fireplace!

She was oblivious to what had happened as she was so immersed in VR, she hadn't even realised!
When she took off the HMD, she finally sees me with kitchen towels mopping up the coffee and collecting the cup pieces!!

I've not let her have a go since! 🙂
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I didn't punch a wall but I demolished a brand new light shade I'd put up while playing Onward. I throw a grenade over arm and the sound effects of the light shade exploding sounded pretty realistic if nothing else. The new light shade was to replace the old one I'd demolished doing the same thing.