cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I waited too long to play Edge of Nowhere... It's Awesome

pyroth309
Level 14
So I am kicking myself right now. I am extremely late to the party on Edge of Nowhere and I'm trying to pick my jaw up off of the floor. When I first got my CV1, (Early 2017) two of the first games that I bought was Edge of Nowhere and Chronos because I saw them on several "Must Own" lists. I never watched a trailer for either of them and grabbed them off the store. I jumped in Chronos first and enjoyed it but I didn't really connect with the 3rd person view. I also hated having to use an Xbox controller when I had Touch games to play so I never made it to Edge of Nowhere.

Hellblade: Sensua's Sacrifice opened my mind to third person in VR. After playing that, it really made me realize that 3rd person can work in VR and can work really well. Perhaps it was better that I didn't get to Edge until now because of that. 

Well today, I decided that while I have my CV1 hooked up again to go through the games that I have never played. I wasn't ready for what I was about to play. I am a big Lovecraft fan and I am so upset right now that it has taken me this long to realize that Edge of Nowhere is a Lovecraftian VR experience (with a side of Dead Space) and is clearly inspired by At the Mountains of Madness.

The environments and the atmosphere is so good. The desperation and the despair really came through and the Voice acting was great for a VR game. Gameplay is probably the weak point of this title. The Tomb Raider like wall climbing got repetitive after awhile and the enemies weren't very tough to beat. Despite that, I give the game a 10/10 just for the ending. I had the biggest smile when I looked out of the right window of the plane.....I knew what was coming as soon as I saw that. (I had suspicions long before that though)

Can't say enough about the environment in this game. The plants in Chile looked so damn realistic and despite the game having a lot of snow and bright areas, SDE really didn't bother me like in other titles. 

If you're like me and haven't played this game, do yourself a favor and pick it up if you like Lovecraft even a little. While it isn't as in depth as flat screen Lovecraft games, for me at least, the experience of it in VR added a lot. They've since added Touch support since I originally bought it, but it's just using it like a gamepad and no motion controls. 






32 REPLIES 32

Zenbane
Level 16
In related news,

  • Man has landed on the Moon.
  • The Internet was invented.
  • Phones are now like computers.
Glad you finally caught up with modern day society @pyroth309 !
😛

But yeah, Edge of Nowhere is amazing. I should replay it sometime.

pyroth309
Level 14

Zenbane said:

In related news,

  • Man has landed on the Moon.
  • The Internet was invented.
  • Phones are now like computers.
Glad you finally caught up with modern day society @pyroth309 !
😛

But yeah, Edge of Nowhere is amazing. I should replay it sometime.


Lol yea pretty much. I was in my bubble the whole time focusing on all my other games that I never realized what I had in my library. 

RuneSR2
Level 16
I can't help wondering if we'll soon see a new thread: "I waited too long to play Robinson: The Journey... It's Awesome" 😉 I may be able to start a few similar threads too :blush: 😄


i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
Level 16
Hell... I'm still waiting for Farlands to have its breakthrough moment!

I have a secret love affair with that little game. ❤️

RuneSR2
Level 16

Zenbane said:

Hell... I'm still waiting for Farlands to have its breakthrough moment!

I have a secret love affair with that little game. ❤️


Same here, Farlands is actually quite impressive - love the aliens, I remember graphics being state-of-the-art, just add full locomotion!

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Level 14
Yea Farlands is awesome. I still need to Finish Robinson but I did play about halfway through it so I know how awesome it looks.

I'm working through Red Matter right now when I have time and it looks incredible. The rock textures are some of the Best I've ever seen in VR and the glass effect in the elevator is real as hell looking. Game in general looks phenomenal. I'll probably bump one of those threads when I'm done.

I made this thread just to shine light on EON again in case others are in a similar case as me or maybe don't even know about it because it impressed me so much in 2019 after playing a ton of other games. 

RuneSR2
Level 16

pyroth309 said:

Yea Farlands is awesome. I still need to Finish Robinson but I did play about halfway through it so I know how awesome it looks.

I'm working through Red Matter right now when I have time and it looks incredible. The rock textures are some of the Best I've ever seen in VR and the glass effect in the elevator is real as hell looking. Game in general looks phenomenal. I'll probably bump one of those threads when I'm done.

I made this thread just to shine light on EON again in case others are in a similar case as me or maybe don't even know about it because it impressed me so much in 2019 after playing a ton of other games. 


Eon? Aeon?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/543390/Aeon/

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Level 14

RuneSR2 said:


pyroth309 said:

Yea Farlands is awesome. I still need to Finish Robinson but I did play about halfway through it so I know how awesome it looks.

I'm working through Red Matter right now when I have time and it looks incredible. The rock textures are some of the Best I've ever seen in VR and the glass effect in the elevator is real as hell looking. Game in general looks phenomenal. I'll probably bump one of those threads when I'm done.

I made this thread just to shine light on EON again in case others are in a similar case as me or maybe don't even know about it because it impressed me so much in 2019 after playing a ton of other games. 


Eon? Aeon?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/543390/Aeon/


I already bought Aeon in this sale but I was referring to EoN aka Edge of Nowhere.

RuneSR2
Level 16

pyroth309 said:


RuneSR2 said:


pyroth309 said:

Yea Farlands is awesome. I still need to Finish Robinson but I did play about halfway through it so I know how awesome it looks.

I'm working through Red Matter right now when I have time and it looks incredible. The rock textures are some of the Best I've ever seen in VR and the glass effect in the elevator is real as hell looking. Game in general looks phenomenal. I'll probably bump one of those threads when I'm done.

I made this thread just to shine light on EON again in case others are in a similar case as me or maybe don't even know about it because it impressed me so much in 2019 after playing a ton of other games. 


Eon? Aeon?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/543390/Aeon/


I already bought Aeon in this sale but I was referring to EoN aka Edge of Nowhere.


Ok 😉 I did think this simply can't be right. lol

https://youtu.be/PiuLCI8xdQQ

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

CrashFu
Level 12
Definitely want to replay this one on the Rift-S  (and on hard difficulty?)

The ending gave me a scare in a way that no cheap jumpscares in normal horror video games ever could.  I was literally too terrified to look directly at, uh... what was happening.  :grimace:       And the game itself was very solid.   I hate to think that games like this, from the pre-touch-era, might get missed by a lot of people;  it's really just so fantastic!
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.