Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve Elite Dangerous

vannagirl
Consultant
Not mine just passing this on to the Cmdrs  🙂

the web page is

This seems pretty amazing for VR users, and anyone knows Elite in VR isn't a game its an experience!!!

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
11 REPLIES 11

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Just before the recent firmware update, after I had made changes with OTT, I finally had nice black(ish) space to gaze into. Since the firmware update it's gone back to the old crappy space - and the horrid flashing and random frame image issue again (OTT not working since update).

I'll give this a try - I'm currently around 16,000LY from the Bubble in deep space, so if it doesn't work here, it won't anywhere.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

vannagirl
Consultant
Ive never been outside of the bubble, i always would of like to go on a distant worlds convoy though if i ever found enough time.

The mod though looks awesome, especially how it shades planets now to look much more as you see in a sci fi movie.
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Wish this tool would be made for other games..

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I was in love with Elite at first but now I rarely play it.

It consumes too much time. You spend a lot of time going from point to point. 

Imagine playing Skyrim with no fast travel. Now imagine no NPCs to talk to. Now imagine no quests, caves or areas to be discovered and cleared. 

It's still worth buying because you'll have a lot of fun learning how things work and flying. You'll easily get 300 hours of fun before it starts to get on your nerves. 

Last time I played I spent 4 hours doing a couple of missions. The problem is that it felt like 20 minutes of fun and 3 hours and 40 minutes of looking at loading screens and management screens. 

I apologize for the rant. 

I'll try this tool the next time I play.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

LZoltowski
Champion
This is a bit like what we have been using in 2D games for years, it's called ENB and Reshade, it allows you to perform post-processing on the fly, including tone mapping, sharpness, even altering the shaders of objects etc.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I used to use Reshade on 2D games a lot and remembering asking why it never worked with Oculus VR. I really wish it did, it would be awesome to have for VR. It makes 2D games look so much better..

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

Imagine playing Skyrim with no fast travel. Now imagine no NPCs to talk to. Now imagine no quests, caves or areas to be discovered and cleared. 

It's still worth buying because you'll have a lot of fun learning how things work and flying. You'll easily get 300 hours of fun before it starts to get on your nerves. 

Last time I played I spent 4 hours doing a couple of missions. The problem is that it felt like 20 minutes of fun and 3 hours and 40 minutes of looking at loading screens and management screens. 

This is honestly why I stopped playing after I successfully flew from one star system to another and parked inside a space station. I completed the game at that point, as far as I'm concerned lol

jamisonmiller
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

MowTin said:

This is honestly why I stopped playing after I successfully flew from one star system to another and parked inside a space station. I completed the game at that point, as far as I'm concerned lol

I Play both Skyrim, fallout and games alike without using fast travel, makes it waaay more fun! it is however a mindset thing. I too used to rush them, not any more.

patience will grant you many things in Elite, but I agree, once you have done everything it gets monotonous. I have all engineers maxed, tech broker weapons, 6B credits (enough for pretty much everything) own a fleet, almost triple elite and have only 2 more gold decals left to earn...now what?

just finished a personal set geological safari, sometimes your own adventures are the best, now I think I will just kill some Thargoids for charity work... can't think of too much else. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I think my biggest problem (a problem I have with myself lol) is that I inadvertently conditioned myself to treat anything VR-related as an "experience" regardless if it's a video game.

With ED and Skyrim, I spent some initial time with them in VR but with an interest in to how the VR Experience would be, not with the intent of playing through an entire video game.

Perhaps that is why I enjoy purchasing so many new VR Titles, and beating them all as quickly as possible. Many of the native VR games end up being a great experience (Xing, Lucky's Tale, Farlands, Edge of Nowhere, Chronos, Technolust, Mage's Tale, etc).

But when video games are converted/ported to VR, then the experience feels short-lived for me, since the monotony comes from the fact that titles like ED and Skyrim stop being an experience after awhile and become more of a "game."

That's not a good or bad thing. Personally, I seem to only care about experiences with VR above anything else. That's why I enjoy SocialVR (Oculus Venues with GO) and Multiplayer opportunities (From Other Suns, Dead & Buried, Marvel Powers United).

Multiplayer in VR is quite the experience!