cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter fails

rh_galaxy
Heroic Explorer

First I see that there was an updated version, but it could not be installed. I removed the game to try and install it from scratch, but it can't install it. Anyone else having this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rh_galaxy
Heroic Explorer

Well, it seams that the developer (The Astronauts) need to upload the game again, it is currently broken and has been for 6 months. I have emailed them but got no reply.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AzDaSpaz
Honored Guest

having the exact same trouble, tried uninstalling it an will not download now would love to know a fix

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

It's an awesome game, if everything else fails, the game is available on Steam too for a low price:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/457880/The_Vanishing_of_Ethan_Carter_VR/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

rh_galaxy
Heroic Explorer

I tried with Oculus support and they would have me uninstall Oculus Tray Tool, then uninstall Avast antivirus, then uninstall all Oculus software and begin again, which would wipe all games. I did only the first thing and inactivated Avast, but nothing changed and other games download and install correctly. This is my last message and have not heard back yet:

"I did everything except uninstall Avast, my reason for this is that why should Ethan Carter be any different from say Ven VR Adventure that had no issues downloading/installing? I believe it is a specific error in the distribution of Ethan Carter that was introduced with the recent version update. I think that not so many play this game and therefore not encounter the problem. Have you tried installing it at your end?

Anyway, when "Install" is pressed it creates a file "D:\Program\oculus\Downloads\the-astronauts-the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter-vr\9\the-astronauts-the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter-vr.sig" with 0 size, and does so again after I delete this file and try again."

I have the Oculus version installed, but I installed it in 2017 or so, lol. I have not updated the game - "it it works don't fix it".

Steam has a 2 hours refund window if their version also does not work. I don't know if the Steam version supports native Oculus drivers.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

WyldeBlue
Explorer

Same thing happened to me...saw the update, couldn't get it downloaded, so I uninstalled the entire title, but now the game won't download from the storefront at all (instant download failure). This issue has been discussed in another thread as it affects a great deal of past titles, and sadly there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the "fixes" Oculus is supposedly still rolling out to address the litany of titles that people can't seem to download...and for the record, the issue is not "SOLVED" even though the community thread indicates as such; just jump to the end to see that people are still having trouble with a number of titles not downloading from the storefront.

KNP54
Heroic Explorer

I'm trying to debug the download of this game. I tried deleting everything related to this game after uninstalling it (the download folder, the store assets, the manifests, even the oculus _global_data_store folder).

The same error always pops up in the oculus service window (debug mode) when clicking the install button:

24/01 21:47:30.077 {!ERROR!} [OAF ERROR] arvr\projects\oculus_pc_infra\oaf\liboaf\package\packagemanager.cpp(3156) : No signature for file. (1971028) OVR61431043

Then I noticed that the oculus app downloads only this file : the-astronauts-the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter-vr.sig

Which is empty (0 bytes)!

My guess is that either it's meta's download server's fault, or it's the developer that forgot something when submitting the update.

Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Deepcool Castle EX 360, 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600MHz, Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, Asus ROG Strix 3080ti, Corsair HX1000, Western Digital SN850 M.2 NVMe 2TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB & 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Corsair 4000D Airflow, Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 @ 100Hz, Acer V287K 3840x2160@ 60Hz, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 256GB.

Anonymous
Not applicable

add me to the list. doesnt work for me either, if i do  have to buy it on steam, it will be the last game i buy on the oculus store. its not worth the risk.

rh_galaxy
Heroic Explorer

Added a link back to where the real thread is, but don't let them fool you, it's nor resolved yet.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Support/PC-Oculus-Store-issues-unable-to-download-most-past-titles/m-...

rh_galaxy
Heroic Explorer

Well, it seams that the developer (The Astronauts) need to upload the game again, it is currently broken and has been for 6 months. I have emailed them but got no reply.