cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Always worth running pc vr?

ShermanHerman
Protege
I have  quest 2 and a beefy pc, in games such as until you fall, is it worth running on the pc rather then using the quest 2 version?  I would think the differance would be miniscule?
3 REPLIES 3

PITTCANNA
Visionary
It all depends on how much the developer optimizes a quest title.  

That said you can get into it on the cheap.  Either thru virtual desktop or a usb 3.0 type a to type c, either way it's like a 30 dollar cost.  

It's not so much about resolution as it is about the details seen.

clouds5
Expert Protege
Few points to consider:
- If connected to a PC you have a lot more battery life
- Some games have better graphics on PC but others are the same. Also some games profit a lot from better graphics others don't... I'd say in a game like Until you Fall with fast melee combat and stylized graphics you won't really notice a difference. But in others like Walking Dead S&S you spend a lot of time exploring and looking at the environment. 
- At this time Oculus Link and/or Virtual Desktop have some downsides either in resolution or latency. For example I'd say reaction based games like Beatsaber or Until you Fall profit from playing directly on the Quest. And even though graphics have less details, they are more sharp on Quest2 because Link still uses Quest1 resolution (that's probably going to change soon according to Oculus).
- Some games (like Until you Fall!) have Cross-play, meaning you buy once and get both the PCVR and the Quest versions. So you can try them both and decide which is the one you prefer.

--> For me personally, I buy/play short and fast rhythm/fight games directly on the Quest 2. Things like Super Hot, Beatsaber, Until you Fall. They profit from things like lower latency and wireless. It's cool to play those kinds of games on the go when I visit friends. I rarely play them for more than 30-60min so battery life isn't an issue.
And slower, more elaborate games like Walking Dead Saints&Sinners I play on PC with Oculus link, to profit from improved visuals and extended battery life.
I5-10600kf@5Ghz, 16GB DDR3600, RTX 2070

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I have  quest 2 and a beefy pc, in games such as until you fall, is it worth running on the pc rather then using the quest 2 version?  I would think the differance would be miniscule?

Indeed - like going from a Playstation 1 to the Playstation 5  B)  

If you really like VR, you do not play the extremly low-end Quest versions - you play the PCVR versions. 2c.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"