cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got back from space and the ISS - thanks Oculus! :-) (Extreme res screenshots with RTX 3090)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Mission: ISS is an awesome app and is an Oculus exclusive - the trailer is here:

Get the free Oculus app "Mission: ISS" here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1178419975552187/?locale=en_US

Screenshots taken and shown below are using a res corresponding to 4032x4480x2 = 36 million pixels per frame (both eyes included) - the app still performed in solid 90 fps. This was about the highest I could do before getting 45 fps.

Maybe some will think "why post about this app - it's not new anymore?" - but this app has less than 1,000 ratings in the Oculus Store. Thus I believe many new to VR may not know about it. And veterans with big rigs may not know how much this app shines with new gpus.

The app is also a great experience with slower gpus, but with a very fast gpu you can get some extraordinarily impressive image quality. The app does not have any graphics settings, and using very high res also provides much fewer jaggies - especially in space. 

Some shots - click to enlarge

01.JPG

I never get tired of that view

02.JPG

Nice textures - should have brought my sunglasses...

03.JPG

The lighting looks great (even if baked, but Valve did that too in Alyx)

04.JPG

A laptop - you can actually read the screen text quite clearly

6.JPG

Another example of the nice (baked) shadows - see the ceiling etc

07.JPG

- you can grab and hold floating objects - just like in Lone Echo 😉

08.JPG

- close up of the flashlight in the previous image - lots of details

09.JPG

My favorite spot inside the station

10.JPG

Outside the station - polygon levels are great

11.JPG

Just to show more of the station when spacewalking

12.JPG

This does feel quite real-ish. Lone Echo has the better graphics, but this is not bad

13.JPG

Just another shot of the station - I guess Japanese astronauts live in this section... 🙂

14.JPG

Nice badges

15.JPG

The Earth looks great - might be able to hit my house if I drop from here, lol

16.JPG

One last shot      

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

3 REPLIES 3

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, I posted the same images on Oculus SubReddit, and the response has been massive - at least in comparison to the 35 views I got in here:

2344.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/q0jv2u/just_got_back_from_the_iss_another_free_trip_to/

I monitor many ratings in the Oculus Store, and these really don't move much if at all right now. This is very strange with so many Quest 2 hmds sold (and also registered on Steam, so they do use rigs). Several comments to the ISS app indicated that many Quest 2 users, even if they have rigs, seem not to use the Rift Store - and are completely unaware of many totally awesome VR apps in the Rift Store. 

Thus many had no clue that Mission: ISS existed, and were floored when seeing the quality - and that they now could be an astronaut in space. 

Not sure Oculus needs to make new PCVR content - just getting the word out about the many previously made Oculus exclusives may be enough! 🙂 I don't mind helping, let's see what I can find next... 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Just one more shot to show the Earth below - but check out how amazing the clouds etc. look:

20211003221110_1.JPG

There's nothing like a spacewalk 🙂

> Thus many had no clue that Mission: ISS existed, and were floored when seeing the quality - and that they now could be an astronaut in space. 

Or may be they do not need to? It could be they play games or do other things with Q and even have no idea that they could use it for "experiences" like this?

Same like ... many people have smartphones but do not know that they could connect keyboard, mouse, printer and use it for office tools or as an external device for PC (like touchpad or game controller). Enthusiasts are trying all what they see. But for some people it is not the same. They are limiting device use to actions they know I think.