cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legendary Tales launching September 9

RuneSR2
Level 15

Environments look barren to me, not sure there're dynamic shadows, and I normally do not buy early access - unless it looks really awesome, like EverSlaught. Thus not sure about Legendary Tales, might need to see some reviews. Devs did make a lot of other short vids to show features from the game:

Features

Recommended GPU is a GTX 1080, so that's somewhat high. 

More info here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1465070/Legendary_Tales/

https://uploadvr.com/legendary-tales-release-date/

Interesting to see some reviews next week, although I do like whack-a-skeleton games 😁 Screenshots:

ss_cac5dee6afe51010eb16fde580f77151f856e348.1920x1080.jpg

ss_1fd6576936718fcbc20be779051d653ae35570ad.1920x1080.jpg

ss_bd7ef158a573fba0179c8ed25eb9408f75469a0b.1920x1080.jpg

ss_25711a482dc30c6f64f0aca83f559bcc16e610d3.1920x1080.jpg

Last, but not least, the game has DLSS support:

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

5 REPLIES 5

Pixie40
Level 10

Huh, could be interesting. I notice from the "level up" and "stats" videos that it'll likely be a good idea to dump all initial stat points into Luck to maximize your chances of getting better items. Everything else after all can be leveled.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

RuneSR2
Level 15

Fun thing - I did think the game levels looked barren (=low poly count, few and similar enemies) and there're no dynamic shadows. Thus my "low-poly & no dynamic shadows" alarm did start ringing in my mind - and seems my Spider-Sense wasn't wrong. This was originally another low-poly Quest game, but Oculus didn't want it. The devs wrote:

"We really wanted to make a Quest game.. But it is not our call... This game has been rejected twice... Maybe they have better plan? trust Oculus... i am truly sorry... how many times we try or how much of work we do, doesn't matter. result can't be changed by us.. they have to change their mind.. But who knows? if this game succeed on Steam, They would want? stay tuned on our discord, we will update if there is any news."

Devs have also stated that the game has been changed, and few Quest ports would need a GTX 1080, guess we'll just have to wait and see when the game arrives...

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

Pixie40
Level 10

There you go with your graphics snobbery again. 🙂

Polygon count does not in any way indicate if a game is good or not. Neither does a game having dynamic shadows or not. Ryse: Son of Rome is a game that looks very good. Graphically, it's stunning as hell. But the game it's self is boring as all get out. It's not fun to play, it's not good.

Then there's Monster Hunter, the original game in the series. Graphically, it looks all right. Textures are low quality for the most part, animations are a bit janky at times. Asset pop-in is an issue due to draw distances being kind of low. But despite those issues it looks all right for the time it came out. Not the best looking game of the time, but okay. It's a far superior game because it's fun to play. The combat system is kind of unforgiving and requires you to wait for openings. But when you manage to defeat a given monster, it's satisfying. Even the more tedious things like resource gathering to prep for your next big hunt aren't too egregious. That's because you're choosing to do that prep work, it's not being forced upon you. It's entirely possible to buy almost any resource you might want for hunting supplies. There's no real grind for materials to upgrade your weapons, usually, because you were going to be hunting that monster multiple times anyway. Or because you are doing any mining while you're out doing other stuff (like hunting a large monster). The most tedious it gets is egg delivery quests (ugh) or farming a given monster for a rare material. And even that probably wont take too long, provided you know what you're doing.

Or do you consider Super Mario 64 to be a bad game just because it's low poly?

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Super Mario 64 was awesome in 1996, but today I would only play it for the nostalgia. If it was a brand new game arriving today with the exact original graphics and res, I wouldn't care about the game at all. Same for the Commodore 64 version of Boulder Dash if it launched for the first time tomorrow. Or the original version of Pong, lol.

That said I do enjoy many low-poly games like SuperHyperCube when designed appropriately, but when a monster or npc walks close to a torch in a dark dungeon, it will be totally immersion-breaking not to see a shadow - unless it's a vampire 😉

RuneSR2
Level 15

The game is now on Steam - but $35 for Early Access with no dynamic shadows 🤔 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1465070/Legendary_Tales/