cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lists of killer apps and games by user ratings - for the Rift hmds and Quest 1 & 2 with Link

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

To get an overview, here're lists of the highest rated games and apps for the Oculus Rift hmds and for Quest 1 & 2 with (Air)Link. If you're new to PC-VR, maybe these lists can be of inspiration - and maybe even old-timers can find stuff they've overlooked...  

To be included at least 40 users must have rated a game or an app, and the average user rating must be at least 4.5 stars out of 5 (= 90 % or better) - based on user ratings in the Oculus Rift Store (Steam games or apps are not included). Maybe we could call these lists for grade "A" games and apps - or simply current Rift killer games and apps  😉

And why the need for 40 user ratings? In the Oculus Rift Store there are many games and apps receiving high ratings, but to provide sound statistics it's not enough with just 3 user ratings - or 10 - or even 20. I've chosen 40 because it's close to the minimum number of individuals I'd want in a group, if I was trying to get some robust statistics after collecting answers to a questionnaire (for a medical trial and similar investigations). I've provided the current number of user ratings for each game or app, so if some readers only trust average ratings based on 100, 500 or even 1,000 user ratings, the lists will accommodate for such preferences. 

Note that these lists are not influenced by my preferences - I'm just the guy counting user ratings and associated average ratings  o:)
Also note that new awesome games or apps may not yet be on the lists due to an insufficient number of user ratings. 

Highest rated Rift games:

1920x1080_Key_art_FPG_logo.JPG

98% average rating
The Room VR: A Dark Matter (379 ratings)
Altdeus: Beyond Chronos (71 ratings)
Red Matter 2 (56 ratings)

96% average rating
Beat Saber (15344 ratings)
Moss (949 ratings)
Golf+ (289 ratings)
Walkabout Mini Golf (187 ratings)
Merry Snowballs (44 ratings) - removed from the Store (Feb 2020)

94% average rating
Robo Recall (11352 ratings)
Lone Echo (5283 ratings)
I Expect You to Die (1273 ratings)
Brass Tactics (764 ratings)
Trover Saves the Universe (303 ratings)
Until You Fall (198 ratings)
Airtone (99 ratings) - removed from the Store (maybe Jan 2021), still available on Steam
Jet Islands (78 ratings)
Hyper Dash (46 ratings)

92% average rating
Gorilla Tag (1101 ratings)
Eleven: Table Tennis VR (910 ratings)
Blaze Rush (780 ratings)
Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted (778 ratings)
Space Pirate Trainer (726 ratings)
Vox Machinae (390 ratings)
Vacation Simulator (383 ratings)
Final Assault (273 ratings)
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (233 ratings)
The Invisible Hours (228 ratings)
Bending the Light (174 ratings)
Racket: Nx (113 ratings)
Virtual Virtual Reality (114 ratings)
Synth Riders (115 ratings)
The Under Presents (58 ratings)
Crisis VRigade (55 ratings)
Mini Motor Racing X (49 ratings)
Down the Rabbit Hole (49 ratings)

90% average rating
Vader Immortal (5609 ratings)
Superhot VR (3690 ratings)
Asgard's Wrath (3585 ratings)
Blade & Sorcery (3913 ratings)
Elite Dangerous (2566 ratings)
Stormland (1946 ratings)
Job Simulator (1489 ratings)
Boneworks (1344 ratings)
Gorn (928 ratings)
In Death (726 ratings)
Pistol Whip (709 ratings)
The Thrill of the Fight (620 ratings)
Brass Tactics: Arena (481 ratings)
Windlands (388 ratings)
Audica (368 ratings)
Racket Fury (346 ratings)
Red Matter (315 ratings)
Witchblood (265 ratings)
A Fisherman's Tale (224 ratings)
Raccoon Lagoon (217 ratings)
Form (206 ratings)
Thumper (196 ratings)
Journey of the Gods (134 ratings)
Shadow Point (117 ratings)
Catan VR (95 ratings)
Half + Half (80 ratings)
The Gallery - Episode 2: Heart of the Emberstone (79 ratings)
The Eastern Edge (75 ratings)
Gravity Labs - Gravitational Testing Facility & Observations (66 ratings)
Shooty Fruity (65 ratings)
Audio Trip (44 ratings)

Highest rated Rift apps:

24785034_733908263470504_625824729482437017_o.jpg

96% average rating
Wolves in the Walls (1147 ratings)
Art Plunge (85 ratings)
Get Lost in Nature with Luke (60 ratings)
Where Thoughts Go (44 ratings) 

94% average rating
First Contact (1684 ratings)
Crow: The Legend (891 ratings)
Show It 2 Me (203 ratings)
Electronauts (104 ratings) - removed from the Store, still available on Steam
Sky VR: Hold the World (83 ratings)
Jig Space (57 ratings)
Arden's Wake (43 ratings)

92% average rating
Aircar- 92 % (2455 ratings)
1943 Berlin Blitz (1032 ratings)
Allumette (870 ratings)
Dear Angelica (882 ratings)
Fantasynth (568 ratings)
Dance Central (350 ratings)
Sensor Bounds (223 ratings)
Apollo 11 VR HD (209 ratings) - removed from searches in the Store, still available on Steam 
Wonderful You (155 ratings)
The Bond (133 ratings)
Beach Body Bros (117 ratings)
Nanome (40 ratings)

90% average rating
Google Earth VR (8776 ratings)
Henry (1178 ratings)
Wrench: Engine Building Demo (330 ratings)
Sharecare VR (300 ratings) - removed and replaced by a new and updated app
Tilt Brush (268 ratings)
Spice & Wolf VR (65 ratings)
Chroma Lab (42 ratings)

BTW, to make these lists I selected the Oculus Store category containing all games and apps, organized the items according to user ratings (highest ratings first) and then - one by one - checked the number of ratings and the average score. 

Finally we could also check which game or app (with an average user rating of at least 90 %) has the most votes in total - and the winner in each category is:

Rift game with the most ratings

beat-saber-header1.jpg

Rift app with the most ratings

Google-Earth-VR.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

178 REPLIES 178

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I'm sorry, why is no one actually standing up and applauding you @RuneSR2 for all the hard work, very interesting insight there, Lone Echo is quite pricey maybe that has something to do with it, the higher priced game the more is expected of it and more likely for someone to be critical of it.

If it was $5.00 it would have had 100% score. 

Thanks, LZoltowski, you do have a good point; I'm sure Lone Echo would have received an even better rating at a lower price. Maybe being a free (bundled) game has helped Robo Recall getting just as great ratings, and more than twice as many ratings, compared to Lone Echo. Although Robo Recall is an awesome game, personally Lone Echo impressed me much more. 

I'll be happy to admit that my "secret" agenda making such lists is also to show that we already have many top-ranked VR killer apps and games. Instead of constantly waiting for some AAA VR games to arrive, maybe some of us can find inspiration in the lists and discover real gems that somehow have been overlooked. Currently I'm expanding my VR comfort zone to include sports games, it's been some great discoveries so far (but table tennis, sigh - do I really have to try table tennis... still I can't argue against a 94 % average rating based on more than 300 ratings... 😉 

And man, SwanVR really makes me feel like a tiny Padawan  😮

https://youtu.be/WKWqlLmKZbI

https://youtu.be/gV1sw4lfwFw

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

it's been some great discoveries so far (but table tennis, sigh - do I really have to try table tennis... still I can't argue against a 94 % average rating based on more than 300 ratings... 😉 

Good list mate.

And btw, table tennis is awesome in VR, it was one of the first games I tried and I didn't expect much but turned out to be awesome, I'm not sure which one I have, I think it's "Eleven table tennis" but not sure. 🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

vanfanel
Heroic Explorer
You're missing Airtone - 97.7% (70 reviews)

Yup another rhythm game 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

vanfanel said:

You're missing Airtone - 97.7% (70 reviews)

Yup another rhythm game 🙂

You're absolutely right - I have no idea how I could miss that one. It's really rated at an unbelievable 98% like Beat Saber, but it'll be 2nd on the gaming list because Beat Saber has more ratings. I'll triple check the lists later to see how I could have missed Airtone when using the "Browse all" category. 

The trailer:

https://youtu.be/z3HLCpmlBBU

Ok, so I need *cough* one more rhythm game - and then *long dry cough* table tennis, but I really need to try this first - even though it's not on the lists, guess you have to leave the yellow brick road now and then  😉

om4lyiy96xjr.png

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

om4lyiy96xjr.png

... And I shouldn't have left the yellow brick road. Megaton Rainfall is based on the most awesome idea - but that game looked like the worst PSVR port I've ever seen - probably the most blurry textures ever in a Rift game. And the game really feels alien - it's the first game to not respond to Oculus Tray Tool at all, so there's no way to force mega-super-sampling on these mega-poor textures. I've asked for a refund - I know, I should have played some table tennis instead, sigh... Some people just never learn  😉  

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The reason why I missed Airtone is that I didn't think any game with more that 40 ratings would rate higher than Beat Saber. When selecting "Browse all" by highest user ratings the first many games have just one or very few ratings, and if these are all 5 stars (made by the devs and their friends and families 😉 small games of limited quality easily get a perfect 5.0 average rating. 

Believe it or not, Airtone is ahead of Beat Saber - just by a hair - but the secret conclusion to this is:

Airtone is the highest rated game for the Rift

I just checked if some cultural differences could explain this phenomenon, but it seems many American Rift users rated this game 5 stars. Maybe this trailer is much better - it looks a bit cool, right?

https://youtu.be/9W792iaIyFA

Searching this entire forum it seems no one have talked about Airtone - the game has received next to no attention. There're no reviews of the game on Metacritic - but Steam users confirm it's 9/10. 

From the trailer it really looks like a game I'd never play. But maybe it's a flying and dancing Zelda in disguise?  😄 If I have to write something positive, it does look like the first game I can run using super-sampling 2.5 and never get less than 90 fps  😉 Then there's the $ 30 price  😮 - Airtone is nearly as expensive as Lone Echo, and Airtone is 50 % more expensive than Beat Saber, Racket: Nx and some table tennis game 😉

Has anyone tried this game? - And can anyone explain why Airtone is the highest rated Rift game? Beat Saber has Jedi lightsabers and SwanVR ❤️ , Racket: Nx is super-cool arkanoidistic (just made up that word) futuristic tennis fun - what's the secret behind Airtone??

vanfanel
Heroic Explorer
Personally I really enjoy airtone.  I can't really explain why it's rated so high but when it came out I'd argue it was the most polished and my favorite rhythm game at the time. Although this isn't for everyone as your musical tastes might not align with it.  But it has a lot of tracks and a nice range of difficulties.  Easy is great for everyone to pick up while the hardest setting is probably the hardest vr rhythm game I know.  My shoulders ache and my arms feel like jello after a few tries. It has a bunch of little achievements and overall is a very polished game. If you enjoy rhythm games and anime this is right up your alley. It doesn't have that universal appeal of lightsabers or use of mainstream music but as a rhythm game I highly recommend it.

LZoltowski
Champion
It has a Japanese Anime Girl in VR ... I don't think most men playing that game realise there is anything other in it than the animated Japanese Waifu of dreams .. could explain the score. 😛
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

vanfanel said:

Personally I really enjoy airtone.  I can't really explain why it's rated so high but when it came out I'd argue it was the most polished and my favorite rhythm game at the time. Although this isn't for everyone as your musical tastes might not align with it.  But it has a lot of tracks and a nice range of difficulties.  Easy is great for everyone to pick up while the hardest setting is probably the hardest vr rhythm game I know.  My shoulders ache and my arms feel like jello after a few tries. It has a bunch of little achievements and overall is a very polished game. If you enjoy rhythm games and anime this is right up your alley. It doesn't have that universal appeal of lightsabers or use of mainstream music but as a rhythm game I highly recommend it.

I just tried Airtone, it's still quite polished and runs perfectly using super-sampling 2.0 on my rig (all video settings in-game maxed). I like that you've got hands and fingers in the game = nice Touch support, but you don't have free locomotion. The music isn't bad either, but that'll be a matter of taste. I'm not into such cute manga/rhythm games, I prefer darker and more gritty games like Doom VFR and Hellblade VR. I've asked for a refund, but it was a fun and a nice experience to test the game. I can't help thinking that my sons (6, 10 and 14 years old) wouldn't care for such a game, but if I had daughters the same age they probably would have loved the game.

I ended up rating the game 3/5. Airtone is still rated average 98 % though. 

LZoltowski
Champion

RuneSR2 said:

vanfanel said:

I just tried Airtone, it's still quite polished and runs perfectly using super-sampling 2.0 on my rig (all video settings in-game maxed). I like that you've got hands and fingers in the game = nice Touch support. The music isn't bad either, but that'll be a matter of taste. My problem is that I'm not into such cute manga/rythm games, I prefer darker and more gritty games like Doom VFR and Hellblade VR. I've asked for a refund, but it was a fun and a nice experience to test the game. 

I am LOVING Hellblade at the moment, such a visceral experience. I find the way they made cut scenes work in it, the 3d depth gets turned off and forms into a cinema-like screen, the perfect way to keep the jerky camera moves and prevent vr sickness at the same time.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂