cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little Island - Unreal DK2 Demo

Liberte
Explorer
Hi,
Below you can find a micro demo for DK2 created in Unreal Engine 4. Demo is very simple and it is based on starter UE assets. Main goal of this project was to check Unreal Engine performance in terms of Oculus support. Scene is a small island on the middle of the ocean. What can be seen is very nice water material, few light sources, particle effects and a few post processes effects. To have everything less boring I have also implemented three animations: Whale, Meteor, and a Giant (my favorite 🙂 ). To start animations just use the button on the island.

Most important part of the demo are the options available under F1- F4 keys. This are:
F1- FPS counter on/of
F2- Upscaling mode (range from 80%-200%)- default value:100%
F3- rendering limit size (range from 0 - 14) - default value: 0
F4- overall quality settings (based on UE documentation shadows, material, AA, and post process is manipulated) - default value: Epic

I have implemented performance options to find best possible configuration. Unfortunatelly it feels like scalability of UE 4 is not well implemented for Oculus right now. Please try to experiment with settings a little. It would be nice if you could post your findings with information about your GPU and CPU configuration here. You should take 75 FPS as a target to prevent a horrible judder what is common in UE 4 VR projects.

Information how to start the demo:
Because Unreal Engine 4 is not correctly supporting SDK 0.4 and 0.4.1 to start demo you need to switch oculus to Extend Desktop mode in Rift Display Mode, then start it from "START (for SDK 0.4 version)" batch file. This batch file will kill three processes causing Unreal projects not working. To start processes again you will need to restart windows.

You can also use Bilago Ouclus Runtime Utility (thank you man!) to Start / Stop those services (really nice tool).

Demo download link:
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0ByiVUhhE7X_gVHkxWTNJVU5xd0E&export=download

Liberte
The Andronauts

PS. I just posted this earlier in a wrong category. I'm hoping for any feedback- you know, wthout a support it is hard to do anything... 🙂
9 REPLIES 9

swlu
Explorer
Very nice! I'm running a low end 5870, and my frame rate ranges from 45 on Epic settings to 60 on Low. Even at Epic it's quite smooth and doesn't stutter at all, even though I'm not hitting 75. That giant is pretty awesome! Although he did seem like he was coming out of an area beyond the water, as opposed to from the water. Really nice to see a 3D layered skybox as well. The movement of the leaves combined with the moving sky really make for some compelling presence. Upscaling seemed to make things worse, 100% was fine. The 0.3 version did not work for me but the 0.4 version did using Bilago's utility.

acarrilho
Explorer
For my cpu it needs an SSE4.1 update. But except for no positional tracking it seems fine.

EDIT: Well, 50-60 fps on "low" seems a bit off... "epic" runs on 40-50
Phenom II X4 945
Radeon 7790
6 RAM

It's a bit juddery, but as much as any other demo/game for me right now.

Good demo to show the judder has nothing to do with the FPS. I get the exact same judder on "low" with nothing going on, that I get on "epic" with the giant on top of the island.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

Liberte
Explorer
Thanx for trying the demo 🙂

on my HD7970 I can get 75 fps on epic easily (upscaling 100%-120%), even looking on a giant.. still it is almost on the edge of possibilities.. it is a little pity because without ocullus same scene gives 200(vsync off) fps easily. It looks like the famous unreal engine scaling is not scaling a bit for ocullus. I'm hoping we will see some improvements in the future.

I I'm now on my way to create some dark scene with horror feel, with close corridors- again for performance tests. I love how black looks on DK2 and I need to play with it a little 🙂

acarrilho: Try HP LP command in the console (~) it should decrease judder, at least in this demo. Do you have more than one monitor maybe? And positional tracking should work without a problem - it is build in functionality of unreal engine and I cannot even turn it on / off. Is your camera working correctly in other demos?

What I can read form forums a lot of people has a problem with camera. I also had to switch it few times between usb slots to have it working correctly.

blonny82
Honored Guest
It doesn't seem to be showing correctly for me. It looks like the unhalved screen shows up for both eyes. Is this happening with anyone else?

squibbfire
Honored Guest
Will you be releasing a version with direct to rift function?

Liberte
Explorer
"blonny82" wrote:
It doesn't seem to be showing correctly for me. It looks like the unhalved screen shows up for both eyes. Is this happening with anyone else?

It happens because Unreal 4 is not integrated well with newest oculus runtime. Try to launch demo from "for sdk 4.0" batch located in main folder.

Or you can use bilago tool (its can be easly found on reedit) to start / stop services (first button on the left) when using unreal based projects.

"squibbfire" wrote:
Will you be releasing a version with direct to rift function?

Soon or later. Right now there are no libs (dlls) for unreal engine to support direct mode (it’s have to be used during compilation process). I read somewhere that someone compiled them from a github source, but I don’t have a possibility to do it right now for myself. But direct mode shows even less performance when it was tested, what is strange for me (I'm hoping that I misread something)

acarrilho
Explorer
"liberte" wrote:
acarrilho: Try HP LP command in the console (~) it should decrease judder, at least in this demo. Do you have more than one monitor maybe?

I've reached the brilliant conclusion that my Phenom 945 is crapping itself all over the place... 😄 Time to browse around ebay...

"liberte" wrote:
And positional tracking should work without a problem - it is build in functionality of unreal engine and I cannot even turn it on / off. Is your camera working correctly in other demos?

Only the ones taking advantage of the 0.4.1 SDK which resolved the SSE4.1 issue.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

Liberte
Explorer
"acarrilho" wrote:
"liberte" wrote:
acarrilho: Try HP LP command in the console (~) it should decrease judder, at least in this demo. Do you have more than one monitor maybe?

I've reached the brilliant conclusion that my Phenom 945 is crapping itself all over the place... 😄 Time to browse around ebay...

"liberte" wrote:
And positional tracking should work without a problem - it is build in functionality of unreal engine and I cannot even turn it on / off. Is your camera working correctly in other demos?

Only the ones taking advantage of the 0.4.1 SDK which resolved the SSE4.1 issue.

I'm not sure if this is a CPU problem, I feel like it is something wrong with the software. Additionally your positional tracking should work without a problem with every demo made for DK2. Try to reinstall oculus software, check also that mini jack cable is connected between camera and a little box located on oculus cables.

shanecolbert
Explorer
In the next patch, can you please add a hatch, and a terminal where you enter 4,8,15,16,23,42 every 108 minutes, to save the world from ending 😄 hehe