cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lone Echo 2 arriving for PCVR only this summer - new teaser trailer and more!

RuneSR2
Level 16

lone-echo-ii.jpg

This news has been mentioned in another thread - but since this game, next to Alyx, may be the very best computer game ever made by humans, it may deserve its own thread - the new short trailer:

Not much is known about system requirements etc, but Road To VR just published a small article about the game:

https://www.roadtovr.com/lone-echo-2-summer-release-date-oculus-rift-pc/

lone-echo-2-99.jpg

Can't wait to be with Olivia again - I really miss her 😢 😉

lone-echo-review-12.jpg

lone-echo-3.jpg

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

4 REPLIES 4

TomCgcmfc
Level 16

Ya, I'm really looking forward to this.  Since my Rift cv1 is now retired I may even give Revive a go again with my Vive Pro (with Index controllers), lol!  LE 1 is still very nice with my Q1 w/Link and thanks to recent improvements with Link I seem to get about the same visual quality/performance as my old cv1 at 2xss.  I still get the odd artifacts and tracking is not quite as good though.  For example, putting on a backpack is a bit hit and miss.  I think that this is due to inside out tracking limitations.  Hopefully LE 2 uses better prediction algorithms and/or avoid actions that require controllers to be outside inside out tracking coverage.

Maybe we will all be lucky and LE 2 will also be available on Steam rather than just as an Oculus exclusive.  I'm sure Oculus would sell a lot more of these if this were the case.  Same goes with other Oculus exclusives imho.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Quest 2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro.

Fully agree that making the game available on Steam would be a kind and great offering to the PCVR community. Would be a nice gesture and way to thank Valve for Alyx, which no doubt has boosted Quest 2 sales - I've read many Reddit posts and comments about people buying Quest 2 primarily to play Alyx.

And Steam availability like Medal of Honor Above and Beyond probably will increase sales a lot. Even after 4 years, sales of the original Lone Echo seem low - the game has about 30% of the ratings of Robo Recall, and isn't much ahead of Asgard's Wrath, even though Asgard's Wrath arrived 2 years later. This indicates that many are yet to experience the very best (or close) VR experience in existence (ok, Alyx does win this one, but I like the story better in Lone Echo, also I'm comparing apples and oranges because Lone Echo is not a fps). 

Now, I still need to find just one Cube-Sat (out of was it 36?) - but that hideous thing is really hard to locate... Then I've solved every quest in Lone Echo 😇

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

How about playing the game with Vive Pro + Knuckles? Does it look great? Maybe you only need TAA and can deactivate 4xMSAA? Can you run the game with the 3090 and get solid 90 fps with SteamVR res 200% and just TAA (no MSAA)? 

Just wondering 🙂 I've found that Knuckles close to perfectly emulate Touch when Revived - I think Knuckles even worked fine with the helmet in Lone Echo - but it's more than a year since I tested the game with the Index, my memory might be failing me... I prefer oled for this game, TAA was blurry with Index, and 4xMSAA (no TAA) + res 200% look ok-ish, but not free from jaggies and I was down to 20-30 fps, lol. 

Vive Pro + Knuckles + RTX 3090 should be a dream combo for this game!

I can honest say that LE1 (w/TAA and 4xMSAA) looks absolutely fabulous with my Vive Pro (w/Etsy Gear VR lens mod) and my rtx3090 using Revive.  The Index controllers work well but headset control for visor/light does not work properly.  Kinda minor problem for the most part once you are past the first main part and are on the fury transport.  Just kinda ticked me off. 

The other problem I have with Revive is that it seems to send all my Oculus apps (once I've used them with Revive) to my SteamVR void Library panels and I don't seem to be able to avoid this.  Since I have some duplicates of titles from Oculus/Steam/VivePort this makes it hard to know which is which.  Also, Oculus Tray Tool (which I love to use for controlling ASW and SS, plus the audio and Oculus runtime switch) is kinda hit and miss with Revive.

So for now I'm happy just to use my Q1 w/Link (wireless w/VD is pretty good as well).  With in-game 1.6xSS and TAA (no AA) I think it looks as good as my cv1 at 2xSS.  The only minor problem I've found is getting that darn backpack on just before getting on the fury transport (works, but kinda hit and miss).  This is probably due to the limitations of inside-out tracking.  It's a real pity that Oculus did not finish developing a way to incorporate the cv1 external sensors because I think that would have made for a super room scale tracking system with the Rift S and Q1/2 headsets.  Like cv2, probably never going to happen, lol!

Maybe one day Revive will improve, but it's been over 9 months since their last update so maybe it's close to the end of any further improvements.  Who knows?  The best outcome would be for Oculus to grow up and open their Rift Store to other headsets.  Maybe openvr will help make this possible in the future.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Quest 2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro.